Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Front seats wont swivel [ Swivelgate ]

W

Williamson

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
We collected our new T6 Ocean on Friday and was playing around with the van all day saturday and we are unable to swivel the front seats. We phoned the dealer on Saturday afternoon and spoke to another salesman who looked at our order and said we did not spec for swivel seats. Is swivel seats an option? What can I do? We are a family of 4 and this was a big selling point for us

Swivel seats are standard - on ocean and beach. did you order upgraded comfier seats with height adjustment ?. i originally ticked the upgrade box until the dealer told me i would lose the swivel feature - so stuck with standards

upgraded comfier seats with height adjustment ?. i originally ticked the upgrade box until the dealer told me i would lose the swivel feature - so stuck with standards

I can see this catching both dealers and buys out

Sounds like it may be the curse of the comfort seats. I say this because only under the 'premium seats' package does it say on the brochure that you lose the ability to swivel, but we know this feature is also lost with the no-cost option of comfort seats.

Did you order with a dealer or through Drive The Deal or the like? A dealer should have advised you about the consequences of selecting Comfort Seats (if indeed you did) and if you went thru DTD, then I think you have a fair case blaming the brochure, which remains clear as mud on a number of issues. A minority of people may still prefer non-swivelling comfort seats, but there have been a few people caught out by this issue on this forum alone. I think its fairly clear that the vast majority of people want their front seats to swivel.

Last edited:
only 2 in van when camping seat rotation a must

What a nightmare! Top notch van too :(

Hard to believe they would sell a campervan without swivelling seats.

BTW, interesting link at the bottom of your post :D

Welcome to the forum, hope you get it sorted.

thanks for all the replies so fast.

Yes, we chose the comfort seats as it seemed quite good value, from what you are all saying is giving me a sick feeling :sad

The dealer said the comfort seats are popular and make a big difference, how can you have a campervan without swivel seats????? Where does it say in brochure that comfort seats do not swivel??

Yes, we chose the comfort seats as it seemed quite good value, from what you are all saying is giving me a sick feeling :sad

The dealer said the comfort seats are popular and make a big difference, how can you have a campervan without swivel seats????? Where does it say in brochure that comfort seats do not swivel??

I advise going back to the dealership and explain that the implications of choosing comfort seats was not made clear to you and that non-swivel seats is a big issue for you. There could be aftermarket solutions such as adding swivel,plates that are compatible with the T6 comfort seats and if so I would ask for VW help with this. Also there is a no quibble 7 day return of the vehicle however another vehicle of the same value is the only option as an alternative.

Gutted for you.

We tried to order our T6 with electric seats... salesman said he thought we would lose the swivel and then proceeded to show us on screen what happened when he tried to add them to our order... it clearly showed we would lose swivel seats, thus we didn't order electric seats.

SURELY... your dealer had the same warning message come up and they SHOULD HAVE WARNED YOU!!!

Hope you can get this sorted... good luck.

This is so painful to read.

A family of four, no swivel seats, a brochure that as cycle said is as clear as mud and what at first sight appears an inept product presentation.

I think you have grounds for a claim to revert the vehicle to swivel seats or just send it back. I am gutted for you. I do hope you can get it resolved. You must be heartbroken.

It is difficult to know what to say but I am not surprised! You obviously cannot under any circumstances end up with a non swivelling Cali therefore it will get sorted and just depends on how.
VW are responsible and have to come up with a solution. Firstly is it possible to retrofit an aftermarket swivel and come up with the perfect solution. I have my doubts as this presumably would be an option. You need to know the options and they need to know it is their fault. Good luck. It will get sorted :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They have sold you something that isn't fit for purpose and need to rectify it.
List your "must be's" the things you need to use the vehicle as intended and stick to them.
Don't accept anything less.

It would be fit for purpose if a buyer understood that comfort seats removed the swivel function, but this is absolutely NOT stated in the brochure, so VW/The Dealer must accept some responsibility.

I am no lawyer but think this might fall into the category of a product being 'mis-sold'.

They have sold you something that isn't fit for purpose and need to rectify it.
List your "must be's" the things you need to use the vehicle as intended and stick to them.
Don't accept anything less.

Our van is due for delivery at the end of January (204 Ocean) we also specced the Comfort seats package via Drive the deal as it was reasonably priced and we thought it would nice for long journeys, now where does it say the seats dont swivel? so I will report back once my van arrives

Surely the dealer is able to order replacement swivel seats and retrofit in place of the comfort ones. There is no mention of the comfort seats being non swivel, it's just says height adjustable. The price list and brochure is a joke, it's like they are trying to catch people out.

Our van is due for delivery at the end of January (204 Ocean) we also specced the Comfort seats package via Drive the deal as it was reasonably priced and we thought it would nice for long journeys, now where does it say the seats dont swivel? so I will report back once my van arrives

i would be checking now while the van is still at the factory

Don't understand this option of "Comfort" seats. It gives the impression that the alternative is uncomfortable seats :confused:

(Which they are not!)

I thought it was the electric front seats that removed the swivel function.

:sorry
Aleko,

Strongly suggest you don't wait if swivel seats is what you want. Unfortunately I succumbed to this bloody option too :headbang because it doesn't say that you will lose the swivel function in the brochure, as mentioned elsewhere above.

After reading something that a forum member wrote between X-mas & New Year on the subject, I quickly got on the case. (I think it was Batmobile...thank you Sir, I owe you a pint, or probably a keg more like. :thumb)

Unfortunately the van had already hit the factory. After discussion with them, we learned that it could not be saved / converted backwards to the standard seats. End result was a rejection of the vehicle & a re-order with 'prioritised' delivery in April. My original vehicle has been 'de-tagged' & will be absorbed by VW Commercials nationwide stock.

Still feeling like a complete muppet. Hey-ho, you live you learn :sorry
Good luck sorting it out. I think it will be easier for you do so though if you act before the vehicle arrives. You are in the strongest position now. Blame the brochure, that's what I did. I also didn't fancy my chances of selling it on in the future!

Cheers!

Id love to have been in the design review meeting when that one got the green light!
There must have been several Gernans with "WTF?" looks on their faces!

More to the point. If I'd been in charge, I think they'd have been told to go away and come up with a version that still swivels!
Unbelievable.

Actually , thinking about this, it's simply a case of engineering a robust cable harness to feed the heated seats that will withstand repeated swivelling of the seat base. Not exactly splitting the atom

Come on VW, man up!

So what is extra in this package to make the swivel function redundant?

Back