Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Front Spring colour codes---help please.

dfps

dfps

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hello all,

I'd be really grateful if members could check their front springs and comment on the colour codes ( paint stripes on VW unmodified springs they have fitted ) . Please don't comment if your vehicle is on modified springs/shocks.
It's easy to see the paint marks when looking up into the wheel arch.Please check both sides to see they are the same colour codes each side.

Please comment on :
Year of vehicle :
Model :
Colours on springs :

Mine is :
California SE 2.5 Tiptronic
2 grey 1 green stripe on both sides

Thank you

Same on mine. 2013 180SE 4 motion DSG.

The various parts listings available on the internet list all the variations of springs and their markings.

Rod

IMG_0174.JPG
Ocean Late 2015

2 grey, 1 green, wording HFH

Think most Cali's have same T32 springs fitted to front. More variety in the rears. Are you thinking about changing yours?

Hi Skewif
Thanks for the reply.
I think the Cali fronts springs are interchangeable with T30 but not T32 . I think T32 FRONTS springs have a different fitting.
I stand to be corrected.

I am looking to change my front shocks and springs having uprated my REAR Anti Roll bar and rear shocks and springs last year.
My vehicle has now done 80K miles from original and I just wanted to check what other options there were available and what other members vehicle were fitted with.
I want to try to stick to VW shocks rather than Bilstein shocks etc but am open to changing the springs hence my request what other members have fitted to their vehicles in their various models.

Correction to my post above.

Maybe its the T32 shocks that are different fitting but the springs are interchangeable with T32.
Perhaps someone with more experience can clarify ?
Thanks

Correction to my post above.

Maybe its the T32 shocks that are different fitting but the springs are interchangeable with T32.
Perhaps someone with more experience can clarify ?
Thanks
Yes T32 has different struts but springs are interchangeable between all variants.

Does anyone have anything OTHER than 2 grey stripes and 1 green stripe on the front springs ?

Two Grey one green T30 spec
Seems to vary depending on spec. Seen 2grey+1green on T32. Lots on sale on eBay, some 2 grey+ 1 green others 3 grey +1 green.

Had a look, seems:
2 grey + 1Green = T32 2WD
3 Grey + 1 Green = T32 4motion
There is also a 3 green + 1 grey which is the firmest rate available according to a german forum.

Last edited:
Hi Skewif
Thanks for the reply.
I think the Cali fronts springs are interchangeable with T30 but not T32 . I think T32 FRONTS springs have a different fitting.
I stand to be corrected.

I am looking to change my front shocks and springs having uprated my REAR Anti Roll bar and rear shocks and springs last year.
My vehicle has now done 80K miles from original and I just wanted to check what other options there were available and what other members vehicle were fitted with.
I want to try to stick to VW shocks rather than Bilstein shocks etc but am open to changing the springs hence my request what other members have fitted to their vehicles in their various models.
At near same mileage I have changed to moderately uprated Sachs super touring struts that VW also fit as standard in other countries as a rough road option. Nice improvement in damping and takes away the wollowy feel in the front. Used the original springs.
I can not recommend enough also getting the track control arm bushes changed to the T32 ones while doing any work on the front suspension. Doing so gets rid of most of the rattly, knocking, crashy feeling when hitting pot holes etc. Have part numbers if needed.

At near same mileage I have changed to moderately uprated Sachs super touring struts that VW also fit as standard in other countries as a rough road option. Nice improvement in damping and takes away the wollowy feel in the front. Used the original springs.
I can not recommend enough also getting the track control arm bushes changed to the T32 ones while doing any work on the front suspension. Doing so gets rid of most of the rattly, knocking, crashy feeling when hitting pot holes etc. Have part numbers if needed.

Yes please to the parts numbers for front drop links etc

Last year I uprated the back of my Cali with a 28mm ARB and Sachs Touring Shocks and changed the springs to T32 (3 grey stripe springs.)
This made a big improvement to the back end sag and a firmer less wallowy ride and was also better for towing due to the back end being firmer.

This year I intend changing the front shocks which have done 80K miles from new to see if it will make a similar improvement to the front.
I currently have 2 grey 1 green springs fitted to the front and was thinking that if I am going to change the shocks I wanted to know if there were any options for the springs that didn't mean too harsh a front end ride ( its bad enough as it is ! )

If you recommend uprating the drop links as well I would definitely consider doing this at the same time.

2014 SE 140 manual - one grey and one green - same on both sides - bought second hand at 3 years old - no evidence of change of spec?

That's interesting Ian.
That's the first one with anything other than 2 grey / 1 green.

Yes please to the parts numbers for front drop links etc

Last year I uprated the back of my Cali with a 28mm ARB and Sachs Touring Shocks and changed the springs to T32 (3 grey stripe springs.)
This made a big improvement to the back end sag and a firmer less wallowy ride and was also better for towing due to the back end being firmer.

This year I intend changing the front shocks which have done 80K miles from new to see if it will make a similar improvement to the front.
I currently have 2 grey 1 green springs fitted to the front and was thinking that if I am going to change the shocks I wanted to know if there were any options for the springs that didn't mean too harsh a front end ride ( its bad enough as it is ! )

If you recommend uprating the drop links as well I would definitely consider doing this at the same time.
I can only say from personal experience that changing the front to Sachs Super Touring shocks / struts on std springs (2xgrey, 1xgreen) with new T32 TCA / wishbone bushes (new drop links make no difference unless knacked, but I changed mine while it was apart) has improved the front suspension enormously. Far less harsh / crashy and much more stable on undulating road / corners. The bushes really help with the crashiness, shocks the stability. IMO upgrading the rear has a far greater overall effect than doing the front. But once you've done the rear the front shows its weakness.

I'll dig out the part numbers for you when home. Struts ~ £140 the pair, bushes ~ £40, plus around £200 ish fitting inc wheel alignment etc. Worth ever penny in driver pleasure.

I can only say from personal experience that changing the front to Sachs Super Touring shocks / struts on std springs (2xgrey, 1xgreen) with new T32 TCA / wishbone bushes (new drop links make no difference unless knacked, but I changed mine while it was apart) has improved the front suspension enormously. Far less harsh / crashy and much more stable on undulating road / corners. The bushes really help with the crashiness, shocks the stability. IMO upgrading the rear has a far greater overall effect than doing the front. But once you've done the rear the front shows its weakness.

I'll dig out the part numbers for you when home. Struts ~ £140 the pair, bushes ~ £40, plus around £200 ish fitting inc wheel alignment etc. Worth ever penny in driver pleasure.

Hi Skewif,
Just a reminder about the parts numbers you used for your shocks , wishbone bushes and drop links.
When you have a chance ?.....would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Hi Skewif,
Just a reminder about the parts numbers you used for your shocks , wishbone bushes and drop links.
When you have a chance ?.....would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Thanks for reminding me.
Shocks fitted were the HD/rough road Sachs front struts/dampers part number 313 327 that I bought online + https://www.autodoc.co.uk/sachs/1225523 took 3 weeks to come. (BILSTEIN B6 would be another option but nearly twice as much. )These Sachs are fitted as option by VW in certain rough road countries. Not too firm but nicely match improved damping on the rear.
IMO The very important parts to upgrade while the front is apart is the track control arm / lower wishbone bushes (4 total about £45 for all). Must change these to the T32 solid type as std ones far too soft and rattle/crash badly on broken road, pot holes etc. Smaller pic is one you need (solid) other pic is what you have (not solid). Most suppliers don’t understand the difference and I was sent wrong ones twice. In the end I got mine from https://www.vwheritage.com/t5-van/vw-t5-suspension/suspension-front.
I went for Meyle HD drop links, ball joints and T6 upgraded top mounts/bearings kit while front was stripped down. IMO better than OEM and fitted so nothing to do on front for next 100k miles or so.
MEYLE HD 2 Top Shock Strut Mounts Bearings VW T6 Transporter T5 Upgrade Kit NEW! | eBay

VW TRANSPORTER T5 FRONT ANTI ROLL BAR LINK RODS DROP LINKS MEYLE HD PAIR A1255 | eBay
Pair MEYLE HD Lower Ball Joints VW T5 Transporter Van & Caravelle *4yr Warranty* | eBay
VW heritage does all of the above as main importer of Meyle just costs more.
Also fitted new ARB bushes from VWH as only thing left to renew, about £10 the pair. Just need to measure ARB as come in several sizes.

As you I also upgraded the rear first. Doing the front is not such a dramatic improvement but more balances out the damping and makes front feel a lot less sloppy. Not done it but there is an uprated front ARB from VW that should reduce the roll further if you want more car like handling. The above cost me £200 to have fitted including 4 wheel alignment.

Worth every penny in doing both ends. Every corner and bump reminds me just what good value it all was. Hope you're just as pleased. Any questions please ask.

image001.png

image002.png

Thanks very much. Very much appreciated.

Did you fit all the above yourself ( except for the alignment ) or did you get a mechanic to do the all the work?
Was wondering if the wishbone bushes need to be pressed out and pressed back in... needing special equipment ?
The rest is pretty standard that I am familiar with.
I was really happy with the Sachs touring shocks for the back so would probably go down that line for the front and keep the 2 grey one green T32 springs. Whilst I,m at it I will also change the shock top mount/bearings etc
I was considering changing the front ARB for a 25mm but will wait to see if I am happy after undertaking these changes first as I am a bit concerned about making the ride too harsh.

Had it all fitted for me (~£200). Yes need (powerful) press to push out/fit bushes or can buy new Meyle track control arms with same bushes fitted but about £100 a side more.
I'm happy with the Sachs and they get very good reviews on the German forums.
Uprated ARB should not increase harshness as has no effect on damping or spring rate just increases resistance to roll. I have std ARB's both ends and very happy with the huge improvement in handling/comfort just from new springs on rear and new HD dampers both ends.

Would love to hear what you think once you've had it all done.

I hate to drag up an old thread. Though admittedly, I'm not sure why it matters...

Anyway, looking to order the T32 control arm bushes and can see how it may be difficult to get the correct ones. Do you have the part numbers for the correct ones you received @Skewif? I think I need Looking here, it seems that there is only one PN for the forward bush and several for the rear bush (fwd control arm). Is it only the rear bushes that need to be changed for solid ones?