Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Frying and grilling indoors with a double pan

bvirc

bvirc

We use our Cali in all seasons, so not always having an option to fry and grill outside. The spraying oil and smell prevented me to do it indoors but few weeks ago I came across a double sided pan that looked as a perfect solution:

I decided to give it a try, found it at Amazon and first results are encouraging. The ad doesn't show the steam coming out of the valve, but otherwise it works pretty much as advertised. It's easy to make crispy and juicy steaks, ribs, chicken wings and vegetables. The pan is too big to properly wash it in Cali, but staying at some official campsite this is not a problem.
happy-call-stick-double-sided-fry-grill-pan-32cm-jumbo-size-jftime-1407-26-jftime@61.jpg

For us it opens new horizons in our Cali cuisine and I can really recommend it. There are many brands and fakes available with Happycall seems being one of the best.
For the Cali's cooker the medium size works best.

I remember buying one of these at the 1994 Earls Court Camping and Caravan show. Called a double Skillet then IIRC. Couple of ladies demoed them year after year with jacket potatoes at the show!

We used it nearly every day on a 6 month trip. :)

Always good to see cooking solutions for the van, this looks interesting. Probably useful for home too.

We have a double skillet, as demonstrated by the same ladies as Max-Felix saw I guess. It has been brilliant for a great many years (except that I dropped the glass lid on a campsite in Spain so we use an old metal one). However ours is losing its Teflon and we need a replacement. We have been looking for some time and this may be the one.
Do the handles disconnect or are they fixed? Might make a difference in storage.

We are quite happy with the ridgemonkey, keeps clean after each use. Has a really handy protective bag as well that stops any rattling around.

Back