Fuel Economy...

Guy/Louise

Guy/Louise

Life is for living....
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hey there,
My bus was serviced about a month ago, since then my average consumption has dropped like a stone... mid to high thirties down to high twenties... 30 if I’m lucky, power has also dissipated... I’m waiting for a call from the dealer to discuss! Tyre pressures are perfect... my driving style hasn’t changed. Anything I should be looking at?
I’m sure the mods will move this to the correct location in the threads, thanks.

i'm certain VW 'Did something ' to mine too on it's service. they never said anything but I certainly noticed on the MFD the fuel economy dropped . I have a heavy right foot but even then I could get 40 supposed mpg and now its around 30. creeps up on long journeys. I've kept an eye on it and I too was convinced power was down. I did start a thread on this somewhere but then thought I was paranoid. same engine mate too but mine is manual?

You may have got the 199 fix file applied. I would get the ECU scanned to see what firmware is now installed. Trouble is VW have made now disguised the fix files on some updates to frustrate fix reversals. Ask the dealer straight have they updated the software.

right. I just phoned them. VW Sheffield. and it has indeed had an engine ECU update. i've complained about it as it wasn't on the invoice even though they say I 'signed for it' . it was a 23Z7 update apparently. I spoke to a tech and he said to watch the brim to brim tank fills to see if theres a change but to be honest I never watched that before the service so not sure there. I don't yet know the answer to this issue. he did say it couldn't be reversed. i'm interested to see what your dealer says ?

As I thought. Your mpg will probably improve as will performance because a software update resets the adaptions so it needs to relearn. This really is sharp practice by VW but given the track record who is surprised. Reversal is known as "roll back" and maybe possible just not by vw who can but wont. I have had my yeti 140 rolled back. Welcome to the 199.
For those that are still on the original software you may want to consider having it read before your next service and certainly put in writing you dont want any software update. Unless you dont care of course

right. I just phoned them. VW Sheffield. and it has indeed had an engine ECU update. i've complained about it as it wasn't on the invoice even though they say I 'signed for it' . it was a 23Z7 update apparently. I spoke to a tech and he said to watch the brim to brim tank fills to see if theres a change but to be honest I never watched that before the service so not sure there. I don't yet know the answer to this issue. he did say it couldn't be reversed. i'm interested to see what your dealer says ?
I’m just on the phone to Carrs in Exeter, mine has had the update but only affects adblue usage, according to the write up.
It’s booked in to be looked at... not until the sixteenth though!!

If thats the case why is a 204 now a 199. Maybe true on a 150. My 199 was built as a 204 then held for months whilst they played with it.

They never mentioned anything to me. That's what concerns me. And they never said anything about increased ad blue usage either. Or on the phone. It's a pain to book in and get to for me.

As I thought. Your mpg will probably improve as will performance because a software update resets the adaptions so it needs to relearn. This really is sharp practice by VW but given the track record who is surprised. Reversal is known as "roll back" and maybe possible just not by vw who can but wont. I have had my yeti 140 rolled back. Welcome to the 199.
For those that are still on the original software you may want to consider having it read before your next service and certainly put in writing you dont want any software update. Unless you dont care of course
So could an independent garage do a roll back do you think? I certainly have some trust issues with vw and it seems my paranoya was justified.

I’m just on the phone to Carrs in Exeter, mine has had the update but only affects adblue usage, according to the write up.
It’s booked in to be looked at... not until the sixteenth though!!
I'm interested to see what they do. If anything. What did they say on the phone?

I'm interested to see what they do. If anything. What did they say on the phone?
They said they didn’t know of any affect on fuel economy or performance, only Adblue consumption. They are going to look into it apparently...!!

They never mentioned anything to me. That's what concerns me. And they never said anything about increased ad blue usage either. Or on the phone. It's a pain to book in and get to for me.
They didn’t mention anything to me when I picked my bus up after the service either, it seems you have to find out what they’ve done rather than being told!

Hey there,
My bus was serviced about a month ago, since then my average consumption has dropped like a stone... mid to high thirties down to high twenties... 30 if I’m lucky,

Are you sure it’s not just the weather? I did a 600 mile round trip Last weekend & got 40mpg On the outward journey at an average 66mph, on the return leg 3 hours later I got 18mpg and at times struggled to do 60 because of the headwind.

Are you sure it’s not just the weather? I did a 600 mile round trip Last weekend & got 40mpg On the outward journey at an average 66mph, on the return leg 3 hours later I got 18mpg and at times struggled to do 60 because of the headwind.
in my case no. I just drove to Austria and back and done about 2500 mls since the service. and like guy/louise. I noticed an instant difference after the service

Even with a following wind... low mpg...

Even with a following wind... low mpg...
I normally get low 30s at my motorway speeds so 40 was good for me.
That’s running 255/45/18 tyres, on 215 wide winters I expect 5mpg better.

I’ve been running my winter tyres since November but my mpg only dropped after the service!

So could an independent garage do a roll back do you think? I certainly have some trust issues with vw and it seems my paranoya was justified.
They can only do it if they have the original file on the system somewhere. Possible but unlikely on a late T6 I would think. The outfits that can do this are few and far between , not you average remap outfit. You need to join the FBook EA189 Fix reversal assistance forum and ask there.

They can only do it if they have the original file on the system somewhere. Possible but unlikely on a late T6 I would think. The outfits that can do this are few and far between , not you average remap outfit. You need to join the FBook EA189 Fix reversal assistance forum and ask there.
cheers. never knew of that forum. I just applied to join it. see what they say on there

I totally agree It's a pain to phone them as they are too busy! and in our case it's a round trip of 148 miles to the dealership which is something VW just don't seem to get. ( the local dealer managed to wreck the engine on our first T4! so we don't really have anything to do with them.) Our 2019 T6 Ocean, 199 DSG 4 motion, seems to do around 30mpg dependant on traffic conditions and load. Ad blue is some were around 12ltrs /4500mls but we do a lot of long runs so the DPF will likely not get sooted up that much and has learnt my driving style, Husband isn't allowed to drive it !

Last edited:
Pre having the Adblue software upgrade on my 204 on regular trips to France I'd get 33 to 35mpg. Only one trip since software change and 31.5mpg both going and returning. Head winds in both directions, never seem to get tail winds.
Adblue was 4500 when updated, dropped to 4000 20 miles later and now on 3000 after a further 670 miles. Think that it dropped to 3000 around the 500 mile point.

Back