Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Full Service, Cam Belt & Water Pump - anything else?

D

DMAS

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi All,
So my Beach is in next week with VW for full service, cam belt and water pump. Is there anything I should think of getting done?

To confirm - I've had the van since August (2014 plate) I've had the rear discs and pads done and a brake fluid change. Oh and clutch and fly wheel

It's done 57k miles.

Thanks in advance you beautiful people you

Hi All,
So my Beach is in next week with VW for full service, cam belt and water pump. Is there anything I should think of getting done?

To confirm - I've had the van since August (2014 plate) I've had the rear discs and pads done and a brake fluid change. Oh and clutch and fly wheel

It's done 57k miles.

AirCon working OK?

Hi All,

It's done 57k miles.

Just so you and others know, the major service and cambelt should be done every 4 years.

My Cali is 4 years old and is booked in for a service at the end of the month. I was told by the dealership it wouldn’t require a cambelt change.

My Cali is 4 years old and is booked in for a service at the end of the month. I was told by the dealership it wouldn’t require a cambelt change.
I’d check that if I was you. If your dealer is correct an awful lot of us have been conned!

Please copy and post the email/letter, we would all like the bullet proof position you have if the belt did fail.

That dealer is wrong.

Bear in mind all VW dealers seem to struggle in understanding their service regimes so you need to work it out for yourself and tell them what needs doing.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Is there anything I should think of getting done?

Haldex oil change AND filter clean/change

The cam belt was done in 2015 - I thought 4 years so I'm quite keen to get it done before some winter adventures.

Is there anything I should think of getting done?

Haldex oil change AND filter clean/change
I believe 3 yrly or 60,000 miles same DSG.
I do mine 2 yrly or 40,000 miles.

Just got back to my dealership, Llandudno Jct, spoke to servicing (call centre based not on site), they said 'no the cam belt doesn't need changing it is not due until 5 years or 120000 miles'. Then asked to speak to the master tech for commercial, he said 4 years or 120000 miles whichever comes first was the advice. He then went one to say that the reason for the fairly short time for replacement was due to the water pump, it can leak onto the belt and degrade it. But he said he hadn't actually seen any failures and it tended to be more of a problem on Californias that are sat for long periods, whilst mine is used regularly. However I don't want to chance it so will be getting both the belt and the pump changed.

Last edited:
Just got back to my dealership, Llandudno Jct, spoke to servicing (call centre based not on site), they said 'no the cam belt doesn't need changing it is not due until 5 years or 120000 miles'. Then asked to speak to the master tech for commercial, he said 4 years or 120000 miles whichever comes first was the advice. He then went one to say that the reason for the fairly short time for replacement was due to water pump, it can leak onto the belt and degrade it. But he said he hadn't actually seen any failures and it tended to be more of a problem on Californias that are sat for long periods, whilst mine is used regularly. However I don't want to chance it so will be getting both the belt and the pump changed.

Exactly my thoughts too - its been 5 years so I want it doing. Chances are it's fine - but I can't chance it for the sake of a few hundred quid as oppose to a few thousand should it fail

Just got back to my dealership, Llandudno Jct, spoke to servicing (call centre based not on site), they said 'no the cam belt doesn't need changing it is not due until 5 years or 120000 miles'. Then asked to speak to the master tech for commercial, he said 4 years or 120000 miles whichever comes first was the advice. He then went one to say that the reason for the fairly short time for replacement was due to the water pump, it can leak onto the belt and degrade it. But he said he hadn't actually seen any failures and it tended to be more of a problem on Californias that are sat for long periods, whilst mine is used regularly. However I don't want to chance it so will be getting both the belt and the pump changed.
VW dealers don’t inspire confidence!

The tech I spoke to in the workshop did give me confidence, but the call centre employee who was simply reading from a screen did not.
Exactly, how many customers would think it necessary to bypass the dealers call centre to get the correct answer. Garages don’t want us customers getting anywhere near the bloke with the spanners!

Exactly, how many customers would think it necessary to bypass the dealers call centre to get the correct answer. Garages don’t want us customers getting anywhere near the bloke with the spanners!
And that is why this forum is brilliant, such a wealth of collective knowledge.

Agreed. I've found this place to be invaluable.

What is the general consensus of Preston VW Van Centre ? Good bad indifferent?

They did major service/cambelt/mot/brake fluid change on my Cali in March. They did a discount when i asked and mentioned this Cali forum. £899 instead of £1040.

Had mine serviced last month. Told me the cambelt was due. I asked if it had become a yearly service item, as that dealership changed it last year, or had they charged me for work not done? Got the invoice and it said cambelt due........

Had mine serviced last month. Told me the cambelt was due. I asked if it had become a yearly service item, as that dealership changed it last year, or had they charged me for work not done? Got the invoice and it said cambelt due........

Which dealership is this?

I was impressed with the sales dept. Guy Vincent was very helpful and we informed.I have had no problems with their service dept. but, like other VW agents, they ignored the Haldex even though it appears that it should be serviced each 20,000 miles.

Back