Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fuse on positive leisure battery terminal

Paulro

Paulro

VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
I keep reading about this fuse on the rear leisure battery but it is not present on mine.
Where is the fuse for leisure batteries?

I keep reading about this fuse on the rear leisure battery but it is not present on mine.
Where is the fuse for leisure batteries?
2 things.

The Leisure battery fuse, if fitted is not a normal type of fuse and normally integral to the + tve connector on the rear battery.

If there is No Fuse seen then you need to check for continuity of the connections between the 2 batteries. A good Autoelectrician should be able to do this, and if you show him the wiring diagrams posted in your other thread then he should be able to check the batteries are connected and if not fix it.

Here's how it looks like on my 2012 SE
The white square under the red cap
IMG_5520.JPG

2 things.

The Leisure battery fuse, if fitted is not a normal type of fuse and normally integral to the + tve connector on the rear battery.

If there is No Fuse seen then you need to check for continuity of the connections between the 2 batteries. A good Autoelectrician should be able to do this, and if you show him the wiring diagrams posted in your other thread then he should be able to check the batteries are connected and if not fix it.

Found it and it is broken. Ordered two from VW.
Ran some tests and power is reaching the rear battery from the solar panel and because it is very sunny the battery is fully charged.
I think this might be the problem but is there anything, from your experience that could be the knock on effect of that fuse being broken?
I suspect it has been like this for a while.

If that fuse is gone it to means there's something very wrong with your wireing ....
There should be other (smaller fuses ) inbetween .
Note that i am not thats much in to carelectrics but just using common sense.
I don't got a spare of that one ,i asked one at my dealer but told me me if thatone goes of you better not change it yourself and should defanatly come in for a check.
Keep us posted

Found it and it is broken. Ordered two from VW.
Ran some tests and power is reaching the rear battery from the solar panel and because it is very sunny the battery is fully charged.
I think this might be the problem but is there anything, from your experience that could be the knock on effect of that fuse being broken?
I suspect it has been like this for a while.
All the power for the internal camping electrics, lights, water pump, fridge and Parking heater comes from the connections to the Leisure Battery under the front passenger seat. There are no other fuses between the rear and front leisure battery.
It sounds as if someone, with little knowledge, has probably shorted the cable from the rear leisure battery to earth at some point, probably somewhere around the front leisure battery, or the cable between the rear and front battery has been damaged.
It might be worth having a Continuity check carried out on the + tve Red cable from front to rear battery and also that it is not shorting to Earth, but thinking about it it cannot be shorting to earth as that would have flattened the front leisure battery.

Personally, as everything has been working from the front battery OK, I would just replace the fuse. The problem that caused it to blow in the 1st place is probably long gone. Let us know the outcome, please.

If a technician unfamiliar with the 2 leisure battery system disconnected the the one under the seat and let the lead touch the seat (thinking it was now dead) that could have blown the fuse on the rear battery as it is fused slightly lower than the front one.

All the power for the internal camping electrics, lights, water pump, fridge and Parking heater comes from the connections to the Leisure Battery under the front passenger seat. There are no other fuses between the rear and front leisure battery.
It sounds as if someone, with little knowledge, has probably shorted the cable from the rear leisure battery to earth at some point, probably somewhere around the front leisure battery, or the cable between the rear and front battery has been damaged.
It might be worth having a Continuity check carried out on the + tve Red cable from front to rear battery and also that it is not shorting to Earth, but thinking about it it cannot be shorting to earth as that would have flattened the front leisure battery.

Personally, as everything has been working from the front battery OK, I would just replace the fuse. The problem that caused it to blow in the 1st place is probably long gone. Let us know the outcome, please.

I'll let you know when I can locate one. I've ordered two from Heritage VW in Bristol but it's a 5-10 day delivery. I hope it's 5 because on day 9 we're off to France and Portugal. Plenty of sun to charge batteries if I can get a fuse before I go.

I'll let you know when I can locate one. I've ordered two from Heritage VW in Bristol but it's a 5-10 day delivery. I hope it's 5 because on day 9 we're off to France and Portugal. Plenty of sun to charge batteries if I can get a fuse before I go.
Have you got a Part Number?

View attachment 22959
They look very much like that. I got the elec guy to hold it. I only took this picture but it's a terminal fuse. ÂŁ10 and a few pence from VW. I'll post a better picture when they arrive.
Agree, could be its twin.
Screen Shot 2017-06-19 at 19.19.16.jpg

Just Google cube fuse, there's many very similar available at a fraction of the price - don't spend a fortune on genuine VW ones!
Incidentally, instead of replacing with the standard 50A, use a 75A one - I've done that and have no battery problems since

Just Google cube fuse, there's many very similar available at a fraction of the price - don't spend a fortune on genuine VW ones!
Incidentally, instead of replacing with the standard 50A, use a 75A one - I've done that and have no battery problems since
There is a reason the standard fuse is rated at 50 amps.

Fitting a higher rated fuse is not a good idea. If your 50 amp fuse kept blowing then it would be safer to find out why. You shouldn't be pulling in excess of 50 amps from the Rear Leisure Battery under any circumstances.

So which is it 50 or 75 amps?

75 amps seems to be a bit high but as @Loz has stated the wiring diagram does show 75 amps.

However, @Paulro and @Geesvw both seem to have had 50 amp fuses fitted.

Unfortunately I can't check for the next few days. Too busy.

I can't find this fuse on my 2003 T5 California? Is there another locatie?

Sorry I meant 2007 T5 California!

Not to my knowledge. Have a look back it the pictures and it's the white fuse that sits underneath the red protective cap.
It doesn't necessarily look like a fuse, that confused me.
It's on the leisure battery under the wardrobe.

Ok I found this fuse! Now, in order not to do anything wrong...
- Do I just uncouple the negative of this battery, than the positive and take this fuse out? As the battery's are coupled, is this safe?
- Would I recognise if the fuse is blown?
- As right now we are camping in Slovenia, do you think I would find a replacement?

Sorry if these are dumb questions. I just want to be sure not to damage anything...

Thank you!

Bart

Back