Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gap between the front seats

CALI FATE

CALI FATE

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
inspired by a recent post - i would like to fit a storage box between the front seats that could double up as a step to the upper bunk. Was wondering what people use the gap for ? any clever storage ideas ?. What ever it is, It needs to easily slide out and allow the seats to swivel from time to time. I have been looking at ammo boxes on ebay but not found a good enough fit .... or a sturdy plastic grey box - how do you use yours

I have a split carpet in the back, the back bit I put between the seats when I move the bed forwards. So I can still open the drawer,
And I swivel most stops, so I would t work for me

We also crawl inbetween the seats to the back .
I got a plastic case that fits exact between the handbreak and the seat and not that high so the seats still swivel.
Put my road maps and camping guides (acsi) in there, not a case where you can stand on ....
Think if you want one to step on you need to make one DIY in plywood.

I got a plastic case that fits exact between the handbreak and the seat and not that high so the seats still swivel.

I guess if you have the "non" turning t6 seats you have the advantage of putting a higher pastic box there without causing an issue.

We just have a fairly rigid-sided woven plastic shopping basket to keep all the bits and bobs you need while travelling (water bottle, tissues, maps, naughty sweets you only ever eat when you go on holiday). You just move it out of the way when you need to turn the seats. Can't stand on it though!

Hey! A new project! If you make / buy something lightweight that can slide in and out, then what's not to like? Let's face it, you can always use extra space (especially with four in the van and away for 2 - 3 weeks at a time). Useful storage, doubled-up as a step to the top bunk, 'trebled-up' as a coffee table! I've got a wooden laundry basket with a lid that simply lifts off. Something like this on top of a custom made box or plastic roller bucket could work very well. Don't know why I haven't thought of this. Excellent!

Califate. What was the recent post that inspired you? It might help with my creation process.

Hey! A new project! If you make / buy something lightweight that can slide in and out, then what's not to like? Let's face it, you can always use extra space (especially with four in the van and away for 2 - 3 weeks at a time). Useful storage, doubled-up as a step to the top bunk, 'trebled-up' as a coffee table! I've got a wooden laundry basket with a lid that simply lifts off. Something like this on top of a custom made box or plastic roller bucket could work very well. Don't know why I haven't thought of this. Excellent!

Califate. What was the recent post that inspired you? It might help with my creation process.
Hi - will have a look try and find it - someone made a plywood box that fitted into a lidl / aldi bag (not a flimsy bag) - made a lid .... solid box easily transported and doubled as a step.

We have some kind of basket betweend the seats:
387d8584fb03248fa9af096214193d7b.jpg

@sapto , you show me yours , i show you mine:bananadance
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
A "really usefull box" :D 9liter , fits perfect . Road maps and camping guides in there.
On the first pic you can cleary see it almost lines up with the underbody of the seat so turning the seat goes perfect!
Not to stand on but as you say , one foot on the swivelled seat hands on the edge in the roofgap and just pull youself up , this offcoars for people able to do this .
Read some take a ladder to get in the roof.
But it was all about the gap between the seats and so showed my solution

Good, but I think a hard top would be even better re. extra coffee table utility. By the end of this thread (maybe some weeks away) I will post a picture of what I've done. Hey! I might start selling them too... yes, at Brandrup rates.:)

View attachment 13931
View attachment 13932
View attachment 13933
A "really usefull box" :D 9liter , fits perfect . Road maps and camping guides in there.
On the first pic you can cleary see it almost lines up with the underbody of the seat so turning the seat goes perfect!
Not to stand on but as you say , one foot on the swivelled seat hands on the edge in the roofgap and just pull youself up , this offcoars for people able to do this .

Oh this one looks nice! Great! Maybe I can find a solution with my other half: Box and Basket :)

Yes, something is going to happen.
Loz, as you're in the waiting-room, what's all this about non-turning T6 seats noted above? I'm intrigued

Yes, something is going to happen.
Loz, as you're in the waiting-room, what's all this about non-turning T6 seats noted above? I'm intrigued
The only things I know are;
1. the build delays were caused by a lack of swivelling seats in the supply chain
2. if you order confort power seats they don't swivel..

if it's anything else, I don't know, it wasn't me (honest guv'nr)

Reactions: wyn
I have just measured one of those heavy duty TESCO shopping bags and if it had a plywood insert it would fit in the gap perfectly - and it would have handles to carry about - i will make one and we can see whose is best

View attachment 13931
View attachment 13932
View attachment 13933
Hi hotel, what is the red to the side of the handbrake......

Last edited:
Th
@CYCLOPATH ,
You must read more some of my posts....
I know it are a lot posts but some are very informative , others are just chit-chat:D
Look here :
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/emergency-hammer-windowbreaker.9478/

The other red thing more to the front is a led- light and the red thing in the box itself is a smal fire-extinguisher.

The red push-buttons left and right are the seatbeltholders.....:confused:
Thanks Hotel,I have read a lot of your stuff. I am one of your fans!

We use 2 silver Addis washing up bowls, 1 inside the other and they fit exactly
between the seats.
Carry all the bit and bobs when driving and the normally we separate them for using in the van when parked up.

inspired by a recent post - i would like to fit a storage box between the front seats that could double up as a step to the upper bunk. Was wondering what people use the gap for ? any clever storage ideas ?. What ever it is, It needs to easily slide out and allow the seats to swivel from time to time. I have been looking at ammo boxes on ebay but not found a good enough fit .... or a sturdy plastic grey box - how do you use yours

Back