Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gap insurance

Trev

Trev

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi we are about to get our new California and are considering gap insurance. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Billywizz

Billywizz

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Evening, I personally would not get GAP, if yours is a new Cali most insurance companies cover new for new replacements in the first 1-2 years (only new vehicles) so it would be a waste of your money buying GAP.
California’s do not depreciate that much so that’s another reason.

zinglefiffy

zinglefiffy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I bought ALA Gap insurance last week for mine, via Honest John.

Obviously the acid test is writing the van off and seeing if they pay up, but failing that, so far the experience has been good.

Two things of note :-

They have a separate 'Van gap insurance', which I spotted 10 minutes after buying their standard policy. I emailed them to find out which one I should be on. They asked for a photo of the V5C, and came back the day after to confirm I was fine with the standard policy. So they seem good on the communications side.

If you save a quote and wait a while they'll email you with a discount code to tempt you back...

Trev

Trev

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Evening, I personally would not get GAP, if yours is a new Cali most insurance companies cover new for new replacements in the first 1-2 years (only new vehicles) so it would be a waste of your money buying GAP.
California’s do not depreciate that much so that’s another reason.
Many thanks. Will check the policy.

Trev

Trev

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I bought ALA Gap insurance last week for mine, via Honest John.

Obviously the acid test is writing the van off and seeing if they pay up, but failing that, so far the experience has been good.

Two things of note :-

They have a separate 'Van gap insurance', which I spotted 10 minutes after buying their standard policy. I emailed them to find out which one I should be on. They asked for a photo of the V5C, and came back the day after to confirm I was fine with the standard policy. So they seem good on the communications side.

If you save a quote and wait a while they'll email you with a discount code to tempt you back...
Thanks. Will investigate.

B J G

B J G

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I had ALA GAP Ins for 5 years through Cashback which had £32 cashback at the time. Also done my Wife's car.
Dealers have commission on their product which you pay for!

Trev

Trev

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I had ALA GAP Ins for 5 years through Cashback which had £32 cashback at the time. Also done my Wife's car.
Dealers have commission on their product which you pay for!
Thanks BJG.

CalamityCal

CalamityCal

VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
I used VW to get the GAP on my Beach, but only after they matched the price from elsewhere.

I think the cheapest I could find at the time was through Admiral. I got a quote online and then emailed it to the salesman who matched it for me.

I wanted to give the dealership the extra as they'd been so good and I didn't want any issues over it being a van or camper.

The dealership was more than happy to price match.

After having a previous van written off whilst it was parked unattended outside work, and then spending hours and hours with numerous calls and emails arguing about 'book values' even though the other party accepted fault; I've gone for GAP ever since.

calimera

calimera

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Good explanation of GAP insurance & recommend several companies.

Trev

Trev

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Mine was a 'return to invoice' policy.
Thanks. Interesting. Some earlier posters refer to “new for new””. Can be quite a difference. Our replacement Cali (long story where VW agreed they couldn’t correct a fault so are replacing) was only 15 months old but price of the new one was £14k higher.

HTML