Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Garage recommended new Pollen filter on vehicle thats done 1900 miles!

C

Calibang

VIP Member
Hi All

My California Ocean (2019) is having its first service (service indicator) but the vehicle has only done 1900 miles.

I've had the vehicle from new and despite best laid plans with work and now Covid-19 have been unable to use the vehicle - although planning to use it with gusto once some sort of normal returns. However, I was aghast the Garage recommended a new pollen filter!

I just cant see it unless the filter gets clogged up in windy conditions when sat on the drive - I do start it up regularly and go for a drive, and in the summer did use it as an 'outside space' to sit in. But a new pollen filter - Really?

Has anyone got any views on this? I'm still trying to recover from the shock?

Thanks All

Hi Simon,

the pollen filter is a suggest item to be replaced.

your assumptions are correct.

you can refuse it and it will have no effect on warranty.

Are you not on one of the pre-paid service schemes? in which case it should be included.

My view is if you are still recovering from the shock of a possible replacement pollen filter at 2 years old, which is probably a £50 part on a £60k+ vehicle, you would be better of selling it now for the benefit of your heart.
I won't tell you want needs to be done at year 4.

Hi Simon,

the pollen filter is a suggest item to be replaced.

your assumptions are correct.

you can refuse it and it will have no effect on warranty.
Thanks, I hadn' thought about warranty implications

My view is if you are still recovering from the shock of a possible replacement pollen filter at 2 years old, which is probably a £50 part on a £60k+ vehicle, you would be better of selling it now for the benefit of your heart.
Thanks. I should have been more explicit in my post. I wasn't querying the cost of the replacement filter but the 'need to replace' given the low use. But as another helpful member had pointed out it may be useful to replace due to degradation over time.

They can get a bit smelly over time, but not usually after only 12 months. I like mine done every 2 years.
Thanks. A good point, maybe degradation over time may impact its effectiveness.

I just hate the waste. Dread to think how many perfect parts get replaced before their time so a box can be ticked (and a customer charged).

I just hate the waste. Dread to think how many perfect parts get replaced before their time so a box can be ticked (and a customer charged).
Save the 50£ by not getting it done. 1900 miles is nothing. Put that to your big bill after ‘4 years’ ? What is that? Timing belt?

Your pollen filter will only collect dust and pollen when the fans are running as the motor sucks air through it. If you want to you can remove it yourself. Hoover it out and put it back. Just because you spent alot on the van doesnt mean you should be ripped off. I reckon the filter will be like new when you take it out. Me personally, I would leave it another year at least. Watch out for which way around it comes out and put it back the same way. Some have an arrow on them.some don't.

Interesting re pollen filter. Our van Cali Ocean 150 DSG, goes in for its first service, at two years ( seems to be referred to as Interim service!) next week. I’ve been informed by the service tech that it only includes oil and oil filter change... no mention of pollen filter ?

Interesting re pollen filter. Our van Cali Ocean 150 DSG, goes in for its first service, at two years ( seems to be referred to as Interim service!) next week. I’ve been informed by the service tech that it only includes oil and oil filter change... no mention of pollen filter ?
When my Cali was recently due it’s first service (2019 model) I spoke to 2 different VW dealerships and 1 said they would change the pollen filter as part of the interim service, the other said no they wouldn’t. According to the dealership who said they would, this is what VW recommend.
Inconsistent service list within the dealer network.

Forgive the laziness... Where is the pollen filter, removing it semi regularly sounds sensible.
Under the passenger side dash sort of behind the glove box

£10 part haha

Hi All

My California Ocean (2019) is having its first service (service indicator) but the vehicle has only done 1900 miles.

I've had the vehicle from new and despite best laid plans with work and now Covid-19 have been unable to use the vehicle - although planning to use it with gusto once some sort of normal returns. However, I was aghast the Garage recommended a new pollen filter!

I just cant see it unless the filter gets clogged up in windy conditions when sat on the drive - I do start it up regularly and go for a drive, and in the summer did use it as an 'outside space' to sit in. But a new pollen filter - Really?

Has anyone got any views on this? I'm still trying to recover from the shock?

Thanks All
For the sake of a few quid get it changed you tight old git haha

Why such a drama over a part that costs £10. It's made from paper and will start to degrade in it's own if it's not been used. If it's had condensation on it then it will certainly not be in good shape. Why own a £60k van and quibble over a tenner.

Why such a drama over a part that costs £10. It's made from paper and will start to degrade in it's own if it's not been used. If it's had condensation on it then it will certainly not be in good shape. Why own a £60k van and quibble over a tenner.
See post #6

the OP is merely questioning the logic and timing And asking for views. The cost of the part and Vehicle list price was never in question as far as I can see from the original post.

IMO questioning the dealers approach to some of these things is something we all should do a little more to save resources being chucked in the bin Unnecessarily, a £10 part will still end up in a skip and eventually at landfill and require a truck to collect it and take it to landfill !

have we lost the ability to apply common sense to these situations all because were too afraid to apply a bit of common sense, particularly when the situation is not going to affect the performance or warranty of a vehicle ?

A few odd responses on this thread that because the vans expensive we shouldn’t query main dealer service items and costs. There’s no wonder they rip customers off over and over.

I agree, some dealers are expert at doing uncessary jobs.

And the £10 part isn't a tenner. It's that plus whatever fraction of £140 an hour (or whatever main dealer rates are at the moment)

There aren't many simple jobs left on modern vehicles overloaded with electronics that users can safely do without expert knowledge or tools.

A quick annual check of the state of a pollen filter is one that most of us could do to keep our cabins fresh and our wallets flush. It then does become a £10 part.

A few odd responses on this thread that because the vans expensive we shouldn’t query main dealer service items and costs. There’s no wonder they rip customers off over and over.
I remember the thread regarding timing belt and water pump replacement and various views on what should and should not be done, including different advice from VW for different countries.

despite the fact that the timing belt can have severe consequences if it fails !

the fact is VW are a massive business with associated servicing via a dealer network, who need to maximise revenues, they will charge you for things that may or may not need to be changed, regardless.

common sense is not encouraged

edit: why not make it a visual inspection item ?

edit: why not make it a visual inspection item ?
I suppose because it would be more expensive compared to just changing the filter every 2 years, if the filter is properly checked.

I suppose because it would be more expensive compared to just changing the filter every 2 years, if the filter is properly checked.
Agree WG, it’s the labour costs that turn a £10 item into a £50 item & the service department can’t justify £40 labour to look at a filter that takes 10 minutes to do

Back