Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Garage says “electricity is blocked”. Can’t lower roof

A

aileen

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hello all. My Cali is a T5. I wrote before after a driver rammed into rear during hols in Italy last June. Since my Cali is right hand drive (live in Ireland) Italy and Germany declined repairs as couldn’t write it off. I had it transported to Ireland where it was indeed written off. VW costs of €25.000 were considered too much for insurance to pay. I wasn’t offered enough money to buy a replacement so elected to have it repaired by independent experienced panel beaters. This has taken ages but now Cali looks good but I’ve been notified that they can’t get roof down via control panel as the electric in the van is blocked. I’m not in Ireland myself since I live in Thailand in winter
Of course I’m very worried that maybe there’s serious damage still. Has anyone ever come across this type of problem???
Thanks for any response and sorry post is so long.

Hello all. My Cali is a T5. I wrote before after a driver rammed into rear during hols in Italy last June. Since my Cali is right hand drive (live in Ireland) Italy and Germany declined repairs as couldn’t write it off. I had it transported to Ireland where it was indeed written off. VW costs of €25.000 were considered too much for insurance to pay. I wasn’t offered enough money to buy a replacement so elected to have it repaired by independent experienced panel beaters. This has taken ages but now Cali looks good but I’ve been notified that they can’t get roof down via control panel as the electric in the van is blocked. I’m not in Ireland myself since I live in Thailand in winter
Of course I’m very worried that maybe there’s serious damage still. Has anyone ever come across this type of problem???
Thanks for any response and sorry post is so long.
That’s a new one. Have they tried
a. Charging the Leisure Batteries?
b. Tried with the engine running?
c. Checked the relevant fuses?
d. Checked the Control Panel for error codes?

For those of you who don't know, if you ever get any problems with roof stuck or any other error say with the heater or fridge, you are able to access the hidden menu in your control panel as used by the VW Engineers.

Access as follows:

1. Hold down the centre of the rotary button together with the menu button (button below with the squares on it)

2. You will get the hidden menu.

3. Rotate the rotary button to get to "VW diagnose" and select this by pressing on the centre of the rotary button.

4. If no errors are present it will display "no errors"

5. If Errors are present then a list of errors will appear

6. Press the centre of the rotary button again to delete all the errors

7. Repeat process above just to check that errors have dissapeared!

8. Re-configure the time and date if neccesary.

Any problems should be resolved assuming these are Electronic and not Mechanical.

Error Codes from Control Panel.

1 = 1 = Pop-up roof

2 = 2 = Plumbing Heating

3 = 3 = Cool box Cooler

4 = 4 = Sewage wastewater

5 = 5 = Fresh water

6 = 6 = Outside temperature

7 = 7 = Battery

Error Code Defect Fault

1010 1010 Short-circuit to (earth) roof

1001 1001 Fuse / short circuit to (plus+) roof

1100 1100 Short-circuit output Roof "on"

1101 1101 Fuse roof "to"

1110 1110 Short-circuit output Roof "to"

1111 1111 Fuse starting Roof "to"

2100 2100 Short-circuit output heating on / off

2101 2101 Fuse output heating on / off

2001 2001 Interrupt input heating 30

3100 3100 Short-circuit output coolbox

3101 3101 Fuse interrupt output coolbox

3001 3001-J698-cooler input error "Active"

3010 3010 Short-circuit input icebox "actual temperature"

3011 3011 Interrupt or fuse input icebox "actual temperature"

4000 4000 Short-circuit to ground water level sensor

4001 4001 Fuse circuit to plus water level sensor failure

5000 5000 Short-circuit to ground water level sensor

5001 5001 Short circuit to plus water level sensor failure

6000 6000 Short-circuit to ground temperature sensor or for outdoor temperature

6001 6001 Fuse / short circuit to plus two temperature sensors for outside temperature

7001 7001 interrupt input interrupt input D +

We may need a little more info to diagnose further but is the leisure battery flat and have they turned the ignition on? I guess someone in the garage must have got the roof up in the first place. It can be lowered via the emergency lowering procedure but that doesn’t solve your problem.

Thanks so very much for very informative post. I’m forwarding it to the garage. Although I have requested many times that they plug in the leisure batteries weekly I suspect that wasn’t done. The batteries are new and have a ten year guarantee but I suspect that won’t be valid if somewhere along this long way in garages they’ve been allowed to go flat

post# 48

Are you still using the dodgy control panel?
If yes, then try getting it refurbished, if no then get them
to drop the roof manually and then try resetting the control panel.

Back