Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gas BBQ - Single Bottle ?

P

Persephone

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
This week we will be collecting our new 6.1 :) No hand over, no ceremony - we will arrive at the garage, they will be leaving the keys in the ignition of our sanitised van and we will drive away ! I am looking at gas outdoor cooking - but don't want a gas BBQ or stove that requires an additional bottle to the one already in the van, it seems a waste of storage

Does anyone else use the van gas bottle for their stove or BBQ? And what are you connecting it to?

All help appreciated

I have gas barbecue and have bought separate bottle but size smaller than the one in the van.
My logic was
1 - didn’t want the faf of taking van bottle out for each barbecue, then how do you boil some spuds or make a cup of tea.
2 - I didn’t want the mess of a coal barbecue and takes up just as much space as bottle anyway and by the time you add lighters etc just another risk to mess up back of the van
3 - finally thought having that spare bottle means for cooking and indeed barbecuing will never run out at that awkward moment and can buy refill of both bottles at convenience

after many years I also like the convenience of switching on / off of gas barbecue including not just the odd steak, but also the fantastic outdoor bacon and eggs in the morning, weather and temp permitting :)

I have gas barbecue and have bought separate bottle but size smaller than the one in the van.
My logic was
1 - didn’t want the faf of taking van bottle out for each barbecue, then how do you boil some spuds or make a cup of tea.
2 - I didn’t want the mess of a coal barbecue and takes up just as much space as bottle anyway and by the time you add lighters etc just another risk to mess up back of the van
3 - finally thought having that spare bottle means for cooking and indeed barbecuing will never run out at that awkward moment and can buy refill of both bottles at convenience

after many years I also like the convenience of switching on / off of gas barbecue including not just the odd steak, but also the fantastic outdoor bacon and eggs in the morning, weather and temp permitting :)
Thanks - I really appreciate the first hand experience !!

Thanks - I really appreciate the first hand experience !!
I think that you can get a T piece for the Campingaz cylinder, but then you would have to arrange a shut off tap and separate regulator for the BBQ feed. Better a separate bottle for the reasons stated by BrendanJ

This week we will be collecting our new 6.1 :) No hand over, no ceremony - we will arrive at the garage, they will be leaving the keys in the ignition of our sanitised van and we will drive away ! I am looking at gas outdoor cooking - but don't want a gas BBQ or stove that requires an additional bottle to the one already in the van, it seems a waste of storage

Does anyone else use the van gas bottle for their stove or BBQ? And what are you connecting it to?

All help appreciated
If you are not experienced with a California I can not see from my phone. There can be with some pick ups in normal times bits of kit missing and issues poor and incomplete poor hangovers. So if it is a just pick up the keys and go think about the damage you can do putting the roof down without opening a door or turning driver's seat. Enjoy your new van.

Last edited:
Good tip from @Meoncoast . You can also download the checklist and go through everything. I’d be tempted to do it on their forecourt as well.
On the gas BBQ. I have the Cobb and the gas bottle fits in the bag that comes without having to unscrew etc. Also it means you can have it on the table in front of you. Which I find more sociable than if someone is stuck at the back of the Cali... so it’s a balance of priorities...

Welcome and yes take care with your new Cali, ask questions, all here to help especially when a full hand over was not given

I use a cadac with the camping gas 907 bottle. So I have 2 Camping gas 907 bottles in case one runs out then I can swap them over easily if I find myself out in the wilds with no access to a replacement bottle. Or I could be more organised and make sure I have enough gas in both of them before I go off on my travels but he’ll I’m just not that organised

There are also gas BBQ's and stoves that don't require a large gas bottle, but smaller gas tins that you screw in the BBQ. I always bring along a smaller tin because we tend to cook outside often. They hardly take up any room.

on my cali 8 years ago I fitted a camping gas 907 bottle below the van by making up a small frame with a qr gas pipe fitting that came out at the rear there was existing bolts that i used with out drilling new ones, i think it was just behind the rear axle. but you can now get a under floor tank fitted and refill at garages for a fraction off the price off a 907 maybe could also run the cali from it and free up space inside.

we use a cadac safari chef 2 - the "pro" version with a quick release. I bought 2 quick release adaptors - one with a campingaz regulator on and one with an EN417 (disposable can) regulator. The quick release allows you to switch adaptors without using a spanner

We use disposable cartridges if we are carrying the stove any distance and the campingaz one if by the van. (We actually have a 2nd campingaz cylinder now but that is personal choice for less faffage)

If you are going down that route, best to call and speak to them, as you need quick release connectors on both adaptors - otherwise you will likely end up with the wrong connectors. I found them knowledgeable to speak to

with the correct adapter you can run a LP cadac off the small throw away canisters