Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gas bottle in US

Linamith

Linamith

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 102
Hi,

As I understand it: the fixed stove in the VW California use BUTAN gas, and in US they use PROPANE gas.

Does anyone know how to handle gas bottles and gas type (PROPANE/BUTAN) in US...

Can we use the fixed stove in the VW California with PROPANE?

Can we ude the 907 bottles med PROPANE gas?

/Thomas

On a camper van that I used to have, I used propane in the UK and Campingaz in mainland Europe. It was a matter of changing the regulator.

The complication with the VW California is finding a gas cylinder that fits in the available space. In Europe there is ALUmini according to another thread.

In the USA there is a cylinder with just over 2kg propane capacity that looks like it would fit.

http://www.mantank.com/products/dotproducts/5-420steel.htm

I would buy propane cylinder, regulator, hose clips in USA as they will have their own dimensions and thread types.

I don't think Campingaz cylinders are readily available in the USA, maybe disposable stove canisters, but not refillable cylinders, but I don't really know.

Oh and of course always consult a gas safety engineer or expert advisor. I am neither.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I've used both propane and butane on stoves and barbeques with no problem.
They do however need the correct regulator on the bottle. In UK to save incorrect errors the Propane bottles have a left hand screw thread whereas Butane has right hand screw thread.

I think our Scandivanian friends use propane normally due to the cold temps.

Thanks. Think I will work it out when we arrive.

/Thomas

Hi All, I'll be starting in a month and a half a 10 month trip with a T5 California taking me from Canada to Panama. Shipping the van to Canada means the bottle of gas must be empty. Do you have any idea of which Canadian/ US gas bottles fit in T5 gas compartment and what to buy (adaptors), even ideally where to buy it in Halifax or online before to ensure we can use local propane bottles of gas there? I am clueless on gas so thanks in advance for your help. Cheers