Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gas Bottle

HareBear Hutch

HareBear Hutch

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Hi guys, quick question re the Gas Bottle.... Do I leave the Gas Bottle on all of the time ?... and then just control the supply using the Gas Knob under the Ring Stove?.... or, do I turn on at the Bottle only when I want to use the Gas?....

Hi guys, quick question re the Gas Bottle.... Do I leave the Gas Bottle on all of the time ?... and then just control the supply using the Gas Knob under the Ring Stove?.... or, do I turn on at the Bottle only when I want to use the Gas?....

Turn it off at the bottle when not using for an extended period or when traveling.
Bottle is in a relatively safe container so the weak point in an accident is between the bottle and the cooker.
I turn the in line switch off when not in use.

Mike

We tend to leave it open at the bottle when we are at a campsite (so, at night as well), closing the one beneath the hobs. We close it at the bottle when we drive away.

Turn it off at the bottle when not using for an extended period or when traveling.
Bottle is in a relatively safe container so the weak point in an accident is between the bottle and the cooker.
I turn the in line switch off when not in use.

Mike
Excellent, thanks Mike

We tend to leave it open at the bottle when we are at a campsite (so, at night as well), closing the one beneath the hobs. We close it at the bottle when we drive away.
Very good, thanks Thomas

Always off when driving, (easy to forget if having a brew on route). Otherwise, if involved in an accident, you could end up with an uncontrolled supply of butane into the vehicle.

Always off when driving, (easy to forget if having a brew on route). Otherwise, if involved in an accident, you could end up with an uncontrolled supply of butane into the vehicle.
Thanks SusiBus..

My theory has always been:

Brilliant VW engineer, Hans: "Ach, we haf enclosed gas cannister in der water tank, with sehr gut venting below. So no need to turn off gas, except for maintenance..."

VW marketing manager Jurgen: "Excellent, Hans. However... VW legal department has advised us to put in the vehicle manual that all the gas equipment should be turned off when travelling, for safety. We wouldn't want any Emissions, would we, he he?"

Hans: "Scheisse".

So, what ended up in the manual is this: " Close all gas shut-off valves [my italics] before driving and when not using the cooker for long periods." HOWEVER, while the manual labels the in-line valve below the hob as a "shut-off valve", it described the knob on the gas bottle valve as a "bottle safety valve". Go figure.

Excellent info Velma’s Dad...... and, very sound advice too

Never turned mine off in boot I only use the switch by the cooker otherwise it's a bit of a pita if you want a cuppa on route

So, as an aside. Many switch off the gas when travelling in case of an accident.
So how many owners have a LPG warning sticker on the rear to warn/inform the Emergency Services?

So, as an aside. Many switch off the gas when travelling in case of an accident.
So how many owners have a LPG warning sticker on the rear to warn/inform the Emergency Services?
As we all know, the Cali is a cool vehicle,
firemen are cool guys too.
Im banking on the cool firemen spotting that its a Cali
when the proverbial hits the fan. :)

Ah I have weird sticker on the back of ours. What does it look like WG?

Never turn ours off except when going under the Channel.

Snap, same here. But then again I’m a bit of a Maverick...

Ah I have weird sticker on the back of ours. What does it look like WG?
If it’s a circular one with a date on it. I think it shows when the gas system is due for its first inspection, but that’s not mandatory in the U.K. unless it’s a hire vehicle..... @WelshGas will confirm! There are Red warning stickers to alert rescuer/fire that there are LPG cylinders onboard, should you have an accident..... I must get one!

If it’s a circular one with a date on it. I think it shows when the gas system is due for its first inspection, but that’s not mandatory in the U.K. unless it’s a hire vehicle..... @WelshGas will confirm! There are Red warning stickers to alert rescuer/fire that there are LPG cylinders onboard, should you have an accident..... I must get one!
Yes, I think I have one with dates on. :thumb

Yes, I think I have one with dates on. :thumb
Thats basically for German Registered vehicles and has to be renewed every 3 years. I don't believe it is a requirement elsewhere in the EU.