Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gas bottles – Campingaz or Calor alterntive?

oceanblue

oceanblue

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Does anyone know if there is an alternative to the Campingaz 907 bottle that's compatible and fits the storage space on a 2016 California Ocean? One camping shop said the Calor Propane 3.9kg and Calor 4.5kg Butane might fit the space. Does that sound correct?

We don't have a bottle to refill, so costs are looking high at the moment. Alternatively, is there anyone local to Cornwall with a spare they can sell so we can just purchase a refill ; o )

Have you tried ebay for an empty one?

Does anyone know if there is an alternative to the Campingaz 907 bottle that's compatible and fits the storage space on a 2016 California Ocean? One camping shop I called said the Calor Propane 3.9kg and Calor 4.5kg Butane might fit the space. Does that sound correct?

We don't have a bottle to refill, so costs are looking high at the moment. Alternatively, is there anyone local to Cornwall with a spare they can sell so we can just purchase a refill ; o )

P.S. I originally posted this in the 'Introduce yourself' section, but not sure how to remove from there – sorry!

Does anyone know if there is an alternative to the Campingaz 907 bottle that's compatible and fits the storage space on a 2016 California Ocean? One camping shop I called said the Calor Propane 3.9kg and Calor 4.5kg Butane might fit the space. Does that sound correct?

P.S. I originally posted this in the 'Introduce yourself' section, but not sure how to remove from there – sorry!
Unfortunately not. Also Campinggaz is very widely available in Europe.

There is one Alternative bottle fitted, but it is in Norway and contains Propane only and fitted by Norwegian Dealers with a different valve.

You can use a 907 or a 904. Same diameter but shorter height.

If you plan to go to France, the bottles are a lot cheaper over there

Keep looking around.....I managed to get a couple , from different places, that were being thrown out!
They were empty, and really rusty......but I took them in, in a bag, and exchanged them for sparkly new full ones!!

All ours came from tip or car boot sales last 2 £4 each one full the other 1/2 full.

Small change compared to the cost of a Cali. You only buy the initial bottle once then just pay for refills, as stated above they are widely available on the continent as opposed to Calor etc. So I would stick with Camping Gas.

I don't know how much you are trying to save but on eBay I can find "Campingaz 907 Cylinder - Full & Sealed" including postage for £36 Go Outdoors at the moment charges £34 just for a refill.
It might be worth finding out how much just a refill is going to cost you round your way before you spend too long trying to find an empty bottle.

You can buy a posh brand new empty canister for £25 (from e.g. Millets, Go Outdoors, Cotswold Leisure) and then it's yours forever (until you swap it for a scabby one at your local stockist that is!)

Not dear.

Why change from Campinggaz to other?

A 907 can cook a loooooot of meals .

Once you have a bottle a refil is not that expencife compared to the meals cooked.

Safe

Can be bought all arround Europe

Fits perfect in the SE/ Coast /Ocean

I looked into the Gaslow refillable propane system a while back. The Gaslow canister does fit in the water tank container as it is designed to be exactly the same size as a Gaz 907 bottle.

However, you are often not allowed to take this out of the vehicle to fill it with propane. The garages get quite upset I gather.
That means you have to fit a filler somewhere on the side of the van. On the face of it not a problem, but getting the pipework out of the water tank container is near impossible. I am also not certain if the valve on the top of the bottle will fit in the container under the screw top, so I gave up on that idea.

Alan

This is IMHO another area where VW could easily update and improve the van by fitting a simple underslung LPG tank refillable at any petrol station for peanuts. I'd like to see the same for the water tank too - freeing up a lot of storage space. I'm sure for the few owners who need a non-freezing water tank for sub zero camping then an internal one could be an easy option.

I've got a spare, but I'm not local. If you ever pass through Cambridgeshire ...
Thanks – nice offer. Much appreciated, but won't be over that way until later this summer when we plan to visit friends in Suffolk via family in the Midlands.

This is IMHO another area where VW could easily update and improve the van by fitting a simple underslung LPG tank refillable at any petrol station for peanuts. I'd like to see the same for the water tank too - freeing up a lot of storage space. I'm sure for the few owners who need a non-freezing water tank for sub zero camping then an internal one could be an easy option.
Totally agree. Our 1982 T25 Westfalia Joker has an external LPG tank that's easy to refill. As much as I love our Cali (it's our second), other than the obvious improvements to driving dynamics, safety and infotainment, it offers less than our 35-year old van.