Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gas canisters EN417 connection

sidepod

sidepod

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
So with the Cadac I use small canisters with the standard EN417 threaded connector.

I was in my local TFM
today and picked up a couple of these. £3.99.
Amazon sell for £6.20. Not often you get a bargain these days. :cheers

image.jpg

You can also plumb one into the main 907 as an emergency backup.

image.jpg
image.jpg

I’m glad you started this thread as I have some questions.

We have a Cadac safari chef 40, and currently I disconnect the refillable 904 bottle in the van and put it outside to connect to the Cadac.

Not bad, not great, as we keep passing the bottle back and forth and I worry when doing anything with gas.

I went to buy a canister, but don’t think my regulator will work, so I’m looking for a regulator but can’t find one that I can be sure will work.

I’m in Switzerland where Cadac is not so popular, the main shops like Coop and Galaxus sell CampingGaz, but even there i don’t find a regulator that says “EN417” on it. For example there’s a campingGaz canister which looks like 500g, but all the photos and videos show it plugged in directly to the campinggaz party grill thingy with no hose.

So my questions are:

how is everyone else doing it? 2 bottles in a van? 1 bottle plus canisters? 2 different regulators or is there a multi socket?

Is the Cadac dual or trip pac the best option? If so why?

Go easy on me if any of this is obvious, I just haven’t used gas much and always worry about the worst.

Last edited:
I just use one of these with a canister for the Cadac. There are various versions, same regulator different unions for the Cadac.

On the Cadac end I have one of these.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01BDEP948/?tag=eliteelect-21

So it’s a quick plug in when in use. Obviously the gas canister stays screwed into the regulator end (turned off) .

Hey Sidepod. I'm a bit confused still. The canister in your first photo (tall) is different to the second (squat) and I believe they have different fittings. I want to be able to use the tall ones straight onto my cooker but can't find a quality fitting to allow it (only £2 amazon jobs with hopeless reviews).
Cadec do sell a plastic holder that uses three of the tall canisters, but I just wanted to be able to swap in a tall canister in an emergency (or current periods of close to zero use, to leave the 907 at home.
Can you shed any wisdom?

Hey Sidepod. I'm a bit confused still. The canister in your first photo (tall) is different to the second (squat) and I believe they have different fittings.
They are different size/shapes but both have the threaded EN417 so both fit the Cadac regulator linked above.

Do you mean an adapter like this?

this or the other way around?

1660214163285.png

Nearly as many permutations as USBs!

They are different size/shapes but both have the threaded EN417 so both fit the Cadac regulator linked above.

Do you mean an adapter like this?
These...
valve-gas-cartridge-cp-250-for-stove-220-grams.jpg
To a Cali.
They seem to have a baynot type connection, but are (were £1 each and available in almost every supermarket..... So easy to manage.

They have a cut out, visible on the orange one and no thread...
silo-MIN_290499_EAC_large.jpeg

Last edited:
So you need a regulator that fits this type of canister?
image.jpg
…..the female part would look like this
image.jpg
Said regulator could then replace the 907 one in the Cali?

Thanks for the help! Those 2nd ones, that ch1pbutty has had trouble with look like the correct ones. The cadac device is this one... Ideally I was just after the ability to plumb up one at a time.
Screenshot_20220811_154038_com.android.chrome.jpg

I think this is the one for me… anyone know the difference with 30 bar vs 50 bar?
I’m not sure what you actually mean?
You wouldn’t want to use a 50 Bar regulator on a 30 Bar appliance.

I’m not sure what you actually mean?
You wouldn’t want to use a 50 Bar regulator on a 30 Bar appliance.
In Switzerland they sell the Cadac power pak in 2 varieties, 30 bar and 50 bar.

Is the bar referring to the grill or the gas supply?

I’m new to anything gas / camping so just not obvious for me.

In Switzerland they sell the Cadac power pak in 2 varieties, 30 bar and 50 bar.

Is the bar referring to the grill or the gas supply?

I’m new to anything gas / camping so just not obvious for me.
It is the pressure given out by the regulator so which one you choose depends on the pressure the Grill requires to function correctly.

I say up front that we have a Transporter conversion, so not a bonafide Cali.

Cath uses the internal burners only for 'small stuff' like boiling a kettle for some rice or a cuppa, and a Cadac Safari Chef for everything else. Hence we spec'ed an external gas point under a flap (similar to the EHU) and we carry a gas hose with quick-release connectors for the Cadac. Hose is in 2 sections, a 3m and a 7m so Cadac can be up to 10m from the van. Pressure is fine over those distances and all fed from the normal 907 bottle in the van. No need for additonal regulators.

I've no idea if Cali's are available with external gas points or if such could be retrofitted (if not, I apologies for wasting your time) but the setup is very convenient.

PS: The quick-release connector saves all that fumbling at the Cadac end, but it protrudes a few millimeters. To allow Cadac's legs to fold in for storage, I drilled a 10mm hole into legs 1 and 2.
(Actually, I think I read that trick in another post in this forum - Chapeau and thank you to the author)