Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gas Compliance on the continent?

macpat

macpat

VIP Member
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]Hi all,
We have a sticker on the back of the van with Gas 6 2015 on it - which will be 18 months since the car was first registered.
It seems we only need the Gas Habitation Compliance Test done every 3 years here in the UK, but we drive on the continent regularly including Germany (we're in Munich as I type this - it's cold, grey and raining, should have stayed home!)
I'm having trouble finding information on foreign gas compliance tests, but I'm guessing that if we're in the foreign county we need to abide by their compliance requirements?
I'm also guessing that a Gas Safe Certificate issued in the UK will be EU legal?
I've seen some other Campervan/motorhome forums where gas systems in Germany and Italy have to be checked every 2 years.
However June 2015 is only 18 months after the system was installed so doesn't even align with a 24 month requirement.
Does anyone know the required frequency of gas checks in Europe?
And why our sticker would imply we need it checked at the 18 month mark?
We're just concerned as we'll be driving around with this sticker advertising to the authorities that our gas needs checking!
OH suggests he make another one in Photoshop with a future date on it and stick it over the top!
Any other more legally abiding advice would be appreciated!
Cheers,
[/COLOR]

image.jpg

Most countries, in any case Germany, require a check every two years. We have heard stories of camping owners in Germany turning people away because their gas installation failed the right sticker. Never experienced any such double check ourselves, though...
We have just had our installation checked (and got a new sticker) here in NL by TÜV-Nord (the German tech certification agency).

My understanding of this is,

In the UK you only have to have a gas compliance certificate by law if you rent out your Cali.

If you are complying with the regulations of the country where your vehicle is registered then you are OK.

We have exactly the same German sticker on our Cali (expiring in June 2015) and I've started to get stressed about how expensive it will be to get something similar here in Switzerland and if it will be valid in the EU. Time to call the local VW commercial vehicle dealer.

We'd be very interested to hear what your dealer advises Marmot, unfortunately our dealer didn't have any information about the gas compliance :(

I finally got this done at AMAG Geneva. They told me it would be CHF 400, but in the end it was only CHF 93. No new sticker, just an entry on the yellow gas system service card. Now I have to figure out how to get the old sticker off the paintwork without damage :Nailbiting

I finally got this done at AMAG Geneva. They told me it would be CHF 400, but in the end it was only CHF 93. No new sticker, just an entry on the yellow gas system service card. Now I have to figure out how to get the old sticker off the paintwork without damage :Nailbiting
Gently warm with a hairdryer, when SWMBO is out.:thumb

Things have changed here in Germany recently. We have a sticker like the one pictured above, but it's out of date. Now the Gas Checks are done as part of the general TÜV checks, every two years. The stickers are no longer issued and it's just seen that if you have a TÜV, then the gas must be safe as well.