Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gas connection for europe

Moonlight Motel

Moonlight Motel

Vehicle
Grand California 680
Hi
Am looking for guidance as to what I need to buy. Our new GC680 comes with the Irish/UK gas hose pigtails but we are planning to spend our time touring europe. Can anyone advise on where to buy either new Euro gas hose or convertors? Our existing connector hose ...

Thanks

ThanksIMG_5491.JPG

Hi,
Just bought a new GC680, due in May. Got the diesel heater extra so hoping I will not use all the gas when I go skiing. On youtube, one guy used all his gas so he had to buy a new bottle in europe and connection hose. How you finding your VW680? any problems? cannot see any information on the black out blinds and fitting.

Thanks Paddy
Have only got our 680 last week and have left it in storage at the moment given all the restrictions so have just snuck down to it once last week for a quick play. So no problems so far!!!
We will go back down again in a couple of weeks once things settle a little bit. So fr though we love it - great spec, love the look of it inside and out and cant wait to get going this summer

How do you intend to acquire your gas? If you have U.K. cylinders, they will not be exchangeable in Europe. This is the main reason that a lot of van owners choose refillable cylinders if they intend to do a lot of European travel. Cylinder adapters are available for a variety of European cylinders look at gaslowshop.co.uk

one guy used all his gas so he had to buy a new bottle in europe and connection hose.
Following up on this, when I was young and green, I ran out of gas in Austria. I still have the gas bottle I had to buy and the receipt! However, the experience did convince me that refillable was the way to go.
What's in the van that's running on gas? I had a165 litre fridge and 4kW heating/hot water. Prolonged stays in Greece in the summer when heating was minimal (but using hot water) and the fridge running near maximum I was using about 1kg of gas a day, so it soon goes.

Thanks for the response. Refillable does seem to be a good solution. Just need to find an installer in Ireland

Thanks Paddy
Have only got our 680 last week and have left it in storage at the moment given all the restrictions so have just snuck down to it once last week for a quick play. So no problems so far!!!
We will go back down again in a couple of weeks once things settle a little bit. So fr though we love it - great spec, love the look of it inside and out and cant wait to get going this summer
Hi
Am looking for guidance as to what I need to buy. Our new GC680 comes with the Irish/UK gas hose pigtails but we are planning to spend our time touring europe. Can anyone advise on where to buy either new Euro gas hose or convertors? Our existing connector hose ...

Thanks

ThanksView attachment 72090
Hi MM,

I may have mentioned it before and as Vagophile say if your planning europe you will be much better of with the refillable LPG gas which is readable available and cheap in comparison to exchanging gas bottles.

I opted for Gaslow. You are able to carry x2 11kg bottles, I opted for a 6 and 11kg due to weight. You mainly have all the components should cost you approximately £650 for purchasing the bottles and installation. Filling the cylinders will cost £00.65 per litre.

Check out Gaslow. https://www.gaslowdirect.com/

Will

Last edited:
I Suppose it depends on how much gas you will use when in Europe. As I have the diesel heater, and can also electric heater if connected to the mains I hope the 2 x gas bottles from Homebase will do the job. They are light and I have them already. The GC have electric fridges, so added the solar panel to my options. All adds up, but I hope to you this new CV to see Europe.

Given we are planning to leave our campervan in europe each winter we wont be coming home to change our gas cylinders the refillable option looks the best
Thanks for the responses

Given we are planning to leave our campervan in europe each winter we wont be coming home to change our gas cylinders the refillable option looks the best
Thanks for the responses
Hi MM,

Also it’s common that European sites are more likely run on 6amp rather than 16 and the Truma is not that effective on 6amp, that’s where the gas comes into its own.

Think that will be the same if you run the diesel Truma on 6 amp as only uses 1 element.

Will

Hi MM,

I may have mentioned it before and as Vagophile say if your planning europe you will be much better of with the refillable LPG gas which is readable available and cheap in comparison to exchanging gas bottles.

I opted for Gaslow. You are able to carry x2 11kg bottles, I opted for a 6 and 11kg due to weight. You mainly have all the components should cost you approximately £650 for purchasing the bottles and installation. Filling the cylinders will cost £00.65 per litre.

Check out Gaslow. https://www.gaslowdirect.com/

Will
Will

Thanks for that, do I remember reading that you mounted the fill valve inside your GC rather than cutting holes in the outside?

Will

Thanks for that, do I remember reading that you mounted the fill valve inside your GC rather than cutting holes in the outside?
Hi MM,

I had the BBQ outlet mounted on the inside, on the end of the gas cupboard, you would see it as you open the right hand rear door. Gas pipe then out of window or under the door.
The refill of the LPG is at low level next to the tow bar bracket.

Will

Will
Thanks for that. I was trying to avoid putting a hole in the van but after some more reading I think we could potentially run in to trouble trying to fill up in stations if they refused to use an internal connection !

Will
Thanks for that. I was trying to avoid putting a hole in the van but after some more reading I think we could potentially run in to trouble trying to fill up in stations if they refused to use an internal connection !
It’s under the back outside along side the tow bar bracket.

The bbq outlet is inside.

The refillable tanks feed the bbq outlet.

Will
Most gas fill stations will not let you fill unless you have an external fill connection. They are suspicious of people trying to use a filler direct to a normal gas bottle.(where you would have to access the gas bottles in the cylinder storage area).

+ Moonlight Motel, in case you haven't sussed them, Hamilton Gas Products (gasproducts.co.uk) based in Bangor are pretty good for refillable gas products, and less expensive than any other supplier that I have found.

+ Moonlight Motel, in case you haven't sussed them, Hamilton Gas Products (gasproducts.co.uk) based in Bangor are pretty good for refillable gas products, and less expensive than any other supplier that I have found.
Thanks for that. I will try them when we can travel that far again!!

Back