Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gas Safety Check Day 25th Feb here at VWCampersales!

VWCampersales

VWCampersales

VIP Trade Partner
Vehicle
N/A
Hi All,

VWCampersales Ltd are offering a special deal to VW California owners to have their gas habitation compliance test on the 25th February with a 10% discount.

A California gas test is required on their 3rd anniversary – pressure test the regulator £ 69.00 and visual check. At 5 years a new gas hose is required (with test) £79.00.

10% discount to VW California club members

Call us on 01444 243888 to book your gas test and time!

Rob

www.vwcampersales.com

So although we don't have to have it checked by law unless renting it out, are you suggesting we should get it checked?
What might happen if we don't check, and replace hoses?

So although we don't have to have it checked by law unless renting it out, are you suggesting we should get it checked?
What might happen if we don't check, and replace hoses?
Two things:
  • if something goes wrong and, say, your Cali burns down, you may have your insurance not pay out;
  • there are stories of German camping wardens refusing acces of Cali's without a gas certification

On the tailgate of a California is a circular gas sticker showing the date for gas inspection. I've attached a picture. In Germany the gas inspection as we understand is part of the TUV (equivalent of MOT) test.

In the UK the NCC (National Caravan Council) advise annual inspection. This is possibly more relevant for larger motorhomes with gas water heaters, heaters, ovens etc. The California has only two burners only, steel gas pipe behind the units and the short rubber gas hose and regulator in the gas compartment.

We would recommend having an annual gas safety check and the hose date and condition checked at this time. This was recommended by NCC when our previous employee (Jason) attended a gas safety course.
"A California gas test is required on their 3rd anniversary – pressure test the regulator and visual check. At 5 years a new gas hose is required (with test). As a conscientious retailer we follow this guidance on vehicles we sell.

We offer this service not as an instruction, and felt it was important to follow the NCC guidelines and ensure the gas system is checked and safe for our customers.

Hope this helps clarifyP2082791.JPG P2082792.JPG P2082794.JPG P2082795.JPG ,

Rob

Can a corgi gas person do this, or must it be a camping company or such like?

On the tailgate of a California is a circular gas sticker showing the date for gas inspection. I've attached a picture. In Germany the gas inspection as we understand is part of the TUV (equivalent of MOT) test.

In the UK the NCC (National Caravan Council) advise annual inspection. This is possibly more relevant for larger motorhomes with gas water heaters, heaters, ovens etc. The California has only two burners only, steel gas pipe behind the units and the short rubber gas hose and regulator in the gas compartment.

We would recommend having an annual gas safety check and the hose date and condition checked at this time. This was recommended by NCC when our previous employee (Jason) attended a gas safety course.
"A California gas test is required on their 3rd anniversary – pressure test the regulator and visual check. At 5 years a new gas hose is required (with test). As a conscientious retailer we follow this guidance on vehicles we sell.

We offer this service not as an instruction, and felt it was important to follow the NCC guidelines and ensure the gas system is checked and safe for our customers.

Hope this helps clarifyView attachment 11840 View attachment 11841 View attachment 11842 View attachment 11843 ,

Rob
I knew the sticker was important for something in Germany. There was a debate on another thread about this. It's so the groupen fuhrer doesn't chuck you off their site!

This feels a bit smoke and mirrors to me. I'm not sure where the quoted text comes from. And I'm unclear what £69 buys? A quick pressure test of the regulator and a visual inspection. What else? Are the burners checked (for self extinguishing) when the lid in closed?
I'm still struggling to imagine more than 15 minutes work, which begins to make my domestic gas certification (on a rental property) look like bargain, and I didn't expect to be saying that!

As we have previously said, there are unfortunately no specific legislations or guidelines in the UK so we are therefore going by what the NCC recommends as this allows campervans to have the latest and safest certifications. Long term as an owner, this would help maintain any vehicle’s worth, not to mention ensure that should any faults arise, they are noticed and dealt with quickly without endangering anyone.

We would advise the checks be done by someone who is on the Gas Safety Register.

As we currently do not employ a gas safety trained engineer, we book someone to come in to carry out the tests at our premises. The £69 check would include pressure test, regulator test, checks on the burners, and certification. If the hose was changed, this would be an additional £10. We offer a 10% discount for all customers from VW California Club.

We simply want to make all camper owners aware that we offer this service (as few retailers do) and recommend keeping your vehicle’s check as current as possible.

Ultimately if you are not renting out the vehicle then you own the equipment and the gas appliance in the vehicle, it is up to you whether to get the setup tested or not. BUT gas is a dangerous thing to have in your vehicle and IMO it has to be safe, so I would get it tested on an annual basis especially as it is in a moving vehicle where joints could shake or flex and may come loose over time. A test should include a visual inspection, pressure test on regulator, gas tightness test, check of the hob appliance to check it is burning correctly and that the safety devices work as required. This should take approximately 45mins. But to do these tests you have to be Gas Safe registered for this you have to have been trained, pay your annual registration fees to Gas Safe and every 5 years you have to pass a reassessment all these things cost money so £69 seems very fair to me.

This feels a bit smoke and mirrors to me. I'm not sure where the quoted text comes from. And I'm unclear what £69 buys? A quick pressure test of the regulator and a visual inspection. What else? Are the burners checked (for self extinguishing) when the lid in closed?
I'm still struggling to imagine more than 15 minutes work, which begins to make my domestic gas certification (on a rental property) look like bargain, and I didn't expect to be saying that!

I think £69 seems quite good value to make sure you are safe for a full 12 months.

I think £69 seems quite good value to make sure you are safe for a full 12 months.
That's just it. This check is just like a MOT. If you pass it just means that everything was OK at that time on that date.
Tomorrow the regulator can fail or the rubber hose fail, but your OK because you have a certificate to prove that everything was OK, when it was tested.
As the owner you should be aware of all the possible problems and what to do.
Do not Believe that your system will be safe for the next 12 months just because you have a Certificate.

Hi Rob
Thanks for arranging the gas test and hose change on the 25th. Really interesting to chat all things California and then look round the Westfalia Columbus. Really impressive, good layout and top quality finish, something to think about when climbing up top in the Cali gets too hard.

Well I will be booking mine in.

A few reasons:

I'm uncomfortable with all things gas and therefore want my gas circuits to be in the best possible condition. I can't do it myself, not without endangering the neighbourhood, so need someone to do it for me.

As I am going to be in Germany for a couple of weeks this year I want peace of mind about all things German.

I only want the best for Albert, and I'm serious. Albert is my home, my shelter, my escape module and something that I love and for £69 to know one important part of him is in the best possible condition just makes me feel good, end of.

It will allow me to take Albert in, have the job done and allow me to drool over all the Westfalia's lying about the place.

Can a corgi gas person do this, or must it be a camping company or such like?
My brother did the checks on my slidepod for me, Corgi is now called Gas Safe. I would imagine that this service is using such an engineer. There is a specific LPG/MH Gas Safe qualification according to my brother so not just any gas safe can give you a certificate although they will be able to do the tests.

My brother did various checks, pressure test, appliance integrity and also made sure all joints and connectors weren't leaking with a gas sniffer. Also checked the gas bottles are secured and the appropriate venting is in place

Last edited:
There is specific further qualification required to work on motorhomes, just being Gas Safe is not sufficient.
From memory its STGW for privately used vans and ACS for anything thats for hire or used as part of a business.

Im more concerned that the night heater should have some sort of service/inspection occasionally.

Totally agree

I know Eber recommend an annual service, I wonder how many do that? Probably similar for Webasto.
I think if you use it on a regular basis, I fire mine up at least monthly over the summer, because I use it very frequently during the winter then you are unlikely to have much of a problem.
In Scandinavia the Lorries run theirs 24/7 during the winter.

I believe some ferry operators check that your round sticker is up-to-date before allowing you on board, or at least, it is one of the things they should, in theory, check.

I believe some ferry operators check that your round sticker is up-to-date before allowing you on board, or at least, it is one of the things they should, in theory, check.

Where have you got that information from?

The round sticker is a German gas test "certificate" and I don't think it carries any authority outside of Germany. I have never had it looked at at any ferry port.

Where have you got that information from?

The round sticker is a German gas test "certificate" and I don't think it carries any authority outside of Germany. I have never had it looked at at any ferry port.

Maybe that's just within Germany then, my mistake.

:Iamsorry But that is incorrect. The Silver Gas Check sticker only has Legal Standing in Germany on German registered vehicles.
There is NO legal requirement on any UK registered Campervan/Motorhome/Caravan to have and display any form of Gas Safety check certificate UNLESS it is a Hire Vehicle.

The German Sticker is NO indicator that the Gas System is safe, Except at the date and time of testing. It should be your responsibility to ensure you have a safe system, just as you should at home.

Back