Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gas Safety Valve

Calimeup

Calimeup

Wookieevan
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Having recently installed a new gas bottle which is working fine, is it necessary to shut the safety valve in the rear cupboard everytime or is it safe to just use the red tap under the cooker rings?
I am concerned about leaving it open when we are all sleeping.

Others, no doubt will have differing views. If you have a gas cooker at home, what do you do at bedtime?

Would the gas bottle or valve be leeking gas in the gas bun, than it will escape through the vent holes in the bottom of the gas bun, and not disperse in your Cali. Butane and Propane are heavier than air.
So we wouldn't bother with the bottle and valve when camping. Just close the tap under the cooker.

When we drive we always close the bottle in the gas bun. You never know what accident you could be in, and when hit you don't want gas escaping.

I turn off neither when I am going to bed. The idea of waking up and having to fiddle around to get the kettle on the boil is just too much.

As Bart said above, the gas is vented via the bottom of the cylinder so provided the lid is screwed down on the top of the cylinder compartment then leaks should not escape into the habitation area. Equally just turning the gas taps off should suffice to stop leaks from the burners.

When travelling I turn off at the bottle for reasons quoted above.

The one under the coocker is always closed , takes two sec. to open/close
The botle itself i close on longertimes no trips while in my garage, ferryXsings .
Best would be closing the botle afther every time u used it ....but in the end think nobody does that . A bit hassle to do it each time....

Thanks for your help, has put my mind at rest :thumb

I just use the one under the sink to much hassle one in back.

This is what I do as well. I always use the under hob one though, without fail.