Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gas safety

sandy mcp

sandy mcp

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Has there ever been a fire/explosion caused by the gas cooker in a Cali Ocean. Specifically caused by the fittings and/or plumbing

I am not aware of one.
I had a safety recall on the gas fittings, you don't mention the origin of your concern, is that why you ask?
Calor Gaz is very pungent and if you opened up the bottle valve and the undersink valve to the hob but don't turn on the burners and sat inside you effectively have every valve open except the ones that are supposed to release the gas.
If it's leaking and you sit inside the van with windows and doors shut, you'll smell it.
If there is no smell, undo the lid of the gas botlle housing and sniff in there. You might get the tiniest whiff for half a second in there but any more than that and I would suspect a leak.
So if you have no leaks after these checks you don't have an explosive atmosphere caused by the release of gas from the California cooker set up.
So then if you started to cook the same logic applies to why the flame stays at the burner rings.
You are good to go.
If you turn the gas off when travelling you are in good stead not to have any catastrophies if the event of an accident too.

Good morning Sandy.
How are you both? That's a very worrying question you are asking. Has this happened to you or are you asking for insurance reasons? In the 5 years I've been reading and participating on the Forum I've only seen 1 mention of a fire in an Ocean that involved cooking and that was caused by opening the back door whilst cooking and a draught took some paper towels onto the cooker. Quickly extinguished. Nothing to do with fittings or plumbing.
Most of the vulnerable fittings are inside the sealed container with the gas bottle and vented to the outside.
Then the feed to the cooking hob with a tap in the cupboard. If the gas is turned off in the cupboard when the hob is not in use during the day that will minimise any risks with the hob. I always turn off the gas at the valve on the cylinder when driving and fit the airtight lid to ensure that I've minimised any problems there in the event of an accident.

Simon

Last edited:
Only explosion I have witnessed was a camping gaz stove in a tent that exploded, it had leaked from the seal. Fortunately no one hurt. Thing is LPG is actually quite hard to light unless its at the right air fuel ratio - a good thing.

Thanks for you replies, I failed to turn the gas off at the bottle, after I long and bumpy trip we parked for a rest and I could smell gas, the regulator had worked loose and gas was venting out the hole in the bottom of the tank, lesson learned! Because we can’t get the Calgaz bottles in Oz I’ve had to convert the pigtail to suit a 3/8 regulator inlet and squeeze in a 2 kg lpg bottle tested by an authorised gas fitter and now works fine. The fitter was just a bit concerned about the connections between the regulator and the cooker.
All good now
BTW our Cali has been a great hit at VW club gatherings. Including the OldBar festival where over 340 Combies got together. I believe a record.
Cheers from 2 happy Cali owners in Oz

Thanks for you replies, I failed to turn the gas off at the bottle, after I long and bumpy trip we parked for a rest and I could smell gas, the regulator had worked loose and gas was venting out the hole in the bottom of the tank, lesson learned! Because we can’t get the Calgaz bottles in Oz I’ve had to convert the pigtail to suit a 3/8 regulator inlet and squeeze in a 2 kg lpg bottle tested by an authorised gas fitter and now works fine. The fitter was just a bit concerned about the connections between the regulator and the cooker.
All good now
BTW our Cali has been a great hit at VW club gatherings. Including the OldBar festival where over 340 Combies got together. I believe a record.
Cheers from 2 happy Cali owners in Oz
For future reference, this is the California Gas System.
1B405D09-0B2E-4B7C-9B9E-058239193199.jpeg

This story from Bristol is very similar. He was moving a gas Bar-b-que in a van. It must have been leaking and he shut the back doors when going back for more things. The air/gas ratio must have been right when he opened the door again and presumably when the light came on it blew up.

I have a velcro cycle clip that I leave on the gas cylinder. When I turn the gas on I put the velcro strip on the steering wheel so it reminds me to turn off the gas and disconnect the valve before driving off.

Not to scare you - this story and images are from a converted Transporter and no safety measures.

The California has the gas bottle and all connectors in the water tank with an opening to the outside, while the lid will prevent any gasses from entering the van. The tubing is one piece of metal tubing. It is really the safest construction you can think of.

Normally I close the tank valve when I'm not travelling or even disconnect it. Make it a habit to close it on ferries, even short ones and if you do not use the gas for some time.