Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gas Tap Fitments

G

gatvol

Picked up my new Cali this weekend

Was your van supplied with a gas tap that you screw directly into the top of the Camping Gaz bottle please, or did you have to buy this tap separately ? My supplying dealer is telling me that the van does not come with a tap - but I have heard that the California's are meant to come with one

The regulator was supplied with my van. But no tap. As they are only £10, I bought a tap this weekend but that leaks ! Before I spend ages trying to get a different one, I wanted to check whether other people needed to buy one of these. If so - where did you buy a suitable tap from, and what make is it ?

Many thanks

Mine came with the correct fitting to screw straight onto the bottle.

Fittings came with van - only thing I had to buy was the 907 gas bottle.

mine came with the van and looks like this

gas.JPG

ours is one week old and it came with the appropriate fittings only needed a bottle
dave

Thank you everyone, it seems that my man at the dealer is not fully up to speed here

My dealer offered to supply the gas bottle as well.

I am assuming this was already fitted, have not yet had the chance to check.

Cali Kev

My gas bottle situation looks exactly like yours, my cali came with the regulator on but not the gas bottle.

The camping shop fitted the 907 gas bottle onto the regulator.

However, I find I cant fit the circular lid back down now - can you? It says its important to always replace this lid, so was just wanting to check whether this is usual

Thanks

A newby

Hi jim and welcome
Yes my lid screws completely up.just make sure there is nothing under the bottle
Lifting it up your right it is quite important to have the lid sealed. If it does not fit there is something not quite right :thumb

maybe a silly question or been asked a thousand times ...which gas bottle should i get to fit in the hole ..?? :oops:

choplee said:
maybe a silly question or been asked a thousand times ...which gas bottle should i get to fit in the hole ..?? :oops:
CampinGaz 907

Chris

Our California came with the gas regulator shown in the photo on this thread. I have discovered that the only way to get the lid to the gas safe to fit tightly, as it must do for gas safety reasons, is to ensure that the regulator is not mounted level. By angling it slightly it is possible to get the lid to fit tightly, but unless this is done at a very shallow angle, it seems to result in a reduced gas flow. We found that we could only light one burner.

I don't understand why VW used a gas safe which is too small for the cylinder and the associated regulator. Any ideas? or have I overlooked something.

Stewmac

Hi all, I'm having a problem with the adapter I bought as 'gatvol' says in the first post.

The adapter I bought looks slightly different to the one in the picture, it's brass coloured with a red screw valve. All seems to fit ok but leeks between the said valve and regulator. Wondering if there should be some kind of 'o' ring between them?

Gatvol, how was yours resolved?

I have the same problem....... van came without the adaptor and the one I have sourced leaks.... does anyone know where I can buy the correct one?

The van should be supplied with the regulator AND TAP the only thing that you need to buy (unless the dealer throws it in is a Gaz 907 bottle) if the tap is not with the van you should go back to your dealer
I have had no issue with the lid screwing down with the right size Gaz bottle and the correct regulator

Perhaps the download check list should have a bit more detail added to it to include what should be there?

I don't understand why VW fitted this tap arrangement in the first place. It appears to consist of a fitting which fits a UK Calor Gas bottle with an adapter to fit it onto a Camping Gaz bottle which really needs a spanner to nip it up tight.
I have replaced the supplied fitment with a more usual one with a tap that screws straight into the bottle. I have cut the rubber hose and put one of these snap connectors in the tube line, makes it far easier to get the bottle in/out.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lpg-quick-rel ... 3a83b35a4e

P1150345small_zps263ac074.jpg

P1150343small_zpsd9fd1982.jpg

Attachments

• P1150345small_zps263ac074.jpg
    P1150345small_zps263ac074.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 8
  • P1150343small_zpsd9fd1982.jpg
    P1150343small_zpsd9fd1982.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 8
Rallyraid

My supplying dealer sourced the correct part for me, after spotting that it should have come with my van. I reckon they lifted it from another one of their vans! The Oem one is very subtly different from the ones you see in caravan shops.

Don't risk a non Oem one. My non Oem leaked

Does anyone know how often the gas system should be serviced / checked?

:thanks

The flexible orange pipe from the gas bottle should have an expiry date on it. Other than that I don't think there is any servicing as such but most camping/caravanning best advice is to do a safety check every two years by an ACOP qualified LPG technician. This is essentially looking for correct operation and freedom from leaks. I don't believe there is any legally mandated requirement.