Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gaslow fitted to GC 680

J

Jester

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 680
For those interested I have just had my Gaslow Reinstalled into my 680 from my 600.

On this occasion I chose a different company to install as I wasn’t really satisfied with the company that did the original install.

Please see the photos below this will give you an indication as to the care and quality the company who installed it On this occasion. They also installed a BBQ gas outlet next to the LPG fill up point. very neat.

A big thanks to Billy at Propex in Ringwood.

373E707F-A884-493E-AF0C-D084D882DBB1.jpeg

C19ECDAF-2E56-4E08-8341-D69DBC9C3042.jpeg

580D4A15-5593-43E0-81B1-4E656CBB9D85.jpeg

E5894C1D-8219-4719-9C84-F55D10708BCB.jpeg

Last edited:
I notice that you decided on rubber as opposed to stainless hoses. Any particular reason?

I notice that you decided on rubber as opposed to stainless hoses. Any particular reason?
Hi, no reason really just that it comes with both option pig tails ie for each option of gas. They are Truma fittings and good for 5 years I believe and will change them then to the SS braided.

Hi where is the filling point located. I can’t work it out from the pic? Thanks

Hi where is the filling point located. I can’t work it out from the pic? Thanks
Morning,

it’s the square black box (cover for the filler) also next to the red BBQ gas outlet. Most are fitted this way to save cutting a hole in your new shiny van.
located off side just behind rear wheel. You can also see the spare wheel in the background.

I was worried having it so low that it would catch on kerbs or potholes ?

I was worried having it so low that it would catch on kerbs or potholes ?
Don’t think it’s a problem as it’s where most are fitted. Don’t forget the step is only 200mm ground clearance. And the filler point is just behind the wheel.
are you considering drilling a hole in your van

No we are still waiting for it !! Doing some research so am ready when it eventually arrives. Was trying to decide whether to go refillable or gas flow. Out of interest why did you go 1 large and 1 small bottle ? You would recommend the people in ringwood to fit ? We are in brighton so it’s a bit of a drive .

No we are still waiting for it !! Doing some research so am ready when it eventually arrives. Was trying to decide whether to go refillable or gas flow. Out of interest why did you go 1 large and 1 small bottle ? You would recommend the people in ringwood to fit ? We are in brighton so it’s a bit of a drive .
Hi,
Well the reason for my choice of size was made through usage, most of the time we are on sites with shore power, so only use a bit for the galley ie boil kettle as most of the cooking is carried out outside on the BBQ so use very little. The other factor was weight why carry around a large gas bottle which probably will not be used.

However if you are planning to be off grid then you will use lots more ie heating/hot water, cooking and the BBQ. Then you would be better off going for the x2 11kg cylinders.

Also LPG is widely available abroad so a good option.

initially had the system installed in my GC 600 via a local company and wasn’t happy with their installation so when I got the 680 I carried out further research and found the guys in Ringwood.

They were very professional listened to how I thought it should be installed and not easy and quick.

There attention to detail was great and also had a gas safety certificate issued.

Will

My 680 is going in for Gaslow system next week and I was proposing to drill through van for the inlet. In the Crafter van brochure it is possible to see structural pics of van So I hope it will Work OK

Interesting to see how you get on.can you post a pic afterwards ?

Hi,
Well the reason for my choice of size was made through usage, most of the time we are on sites with shore power, so only use a bit for the galley ie boil kettle as most of the cooking is carried out outside on the BBQ so use very little. The other factor was weight why carry around a large gas bottle which probably will not be used.

However if you are planning to be off grid then you will use lots more ie heating/hot water, cooking and the BBQ. Then you would be better off going for the x2 11kg cylinders.

initially had the system installed in my GC 600 via a local company and wasn’t happy with their installation so when I got the 680 I carried out further research and found the guys in Ringwood.

They were very professional listened to how I thought it should be installed and not easy and quick.

There attention to detail was great and also had a gas safety for all the advice.
Hi,

There attention to detail was great and also had a gas safety certificate issued.

Will
Thanks for the advice. Simon

If it works!
My 680 is going in for Gaslow system next week and I was proposing to drill through van for the inlet. In the Crafter van brochure it is possible to see structural pics of van So I hope it will Work OK
Your a braver man than me. Supposing you wish to convert it back you will always have the filler cap in the side of your pride and joy.
Well every man to their own.

Morning,

it’s the square black box (cover for the filler) also next to the red BBQ gas outlet. Most are fitted this way to save cutting a hole in your new shiny van.
located off side just behind rear wheel. You can also see the spare wheel in the background.
Jester, can you advise what parts and where from to fit the spare wheel? Looking to get one fitted to mine. Thanks.

Jester, can you advise what parts and where from to fit the spare wheel? Looking to get one fitted to mine. Thanks.
Hi there,

I just asked the suppling dealer to add this to the van on arrival.

The parts guy will be able to assist you, they are all Crafter parts, from memory all in all sub £600 this includes fitting and don’t forget the tool set that lives in the passenger footwell.

I would not want just to rely on the gunk they supply.

See video

Will

Last edited:
Your a braver man than me. Supposing you wish to convert it back you will always have the filler cap in the side of your pride and joy.
Well every man to their own.
It is possible to use calor bottles after conversion.

Interesting to see how you get on.can you post a pic afterwards ?
Gas flow fitted today by Darren at DEM motor homes, Rackheath. Looks neat. I could not find the right gas bottles so went straight to the gasflow system on our new 680

974D5B36-7460-4BC8-A152-D56896553F33.jpeg

DCB03C91-8BAA-459E-8006-407BD1CD1904.jpeg

BD18C3F5-6A23-4B51-9A2C-6399C5BDBCA9.jpeg

190558F6-6C48-475F-853D-31A3544394F5.jpeg

We have a similar system on our LWB T6 conversion. The LPG tank, 15 litres, is underslung in the space that would be occupied by the rear diff if ours was 4 motion. The fill point is the same as in the photo in post #1, just behold the near side rear wheel with a BBQ point next to it. No issues with the connection hitting kerbs etc. Very pleased with the system and not having bottles in the van is a great space saver, also lpg is very cheap.

Gas flow fitted today by Darren at DEM motor homes, Rackheath. Looks neat. I could not find the right gas bottles so went straight to the gasflow system on our new 680

View attachment 79438

View attachment 79439

View attachment 79440

View attachment 79441

Hello,

I am interested to change to LPG as well. The questions were 1.) who will install it for me? 2.) Gaslow or GasIt?

I believe Gaslow and GasIt are rather similiar, but it looks like that the support and customer service is very good with Gaslow so I decided to go with them.

I haven't found an installer of Gaslow system in ROI so a big motorhome retailer in Northern Ireland agreed to look after it. It is expensive enough. I hope they do it well, because I wanted the fill point at the side of the GC the same as you. So there is a lot that can go wrong.

I hope I can get the work than before May 2022. I will post an update.

Happy warm Grand California,
Eberhard

Hi there,

I just asked the suppling dealer to add this to the van on arrival.

The parts guy will be able to assist you, they are all Crafter parts, from memory all in all sub £600 this includes fitting and don’t forget the tool set that lives in the passenger footwell.

I would not want just to rely on the gunk they supply.

See video

Will
Hi Jester, did you have a spare on the 600? We have bought a set of steel VW wheels and winter tyres ready for ours, but the dealer told me there wasn’t an option of fitting a spare to a GC? I too wouldn’t want to rely on the gunk if at all possible. I also like your Gaslow - have you got diesel or gas heating in your 680? Cheers, Alun

Hi Jester, did you have a spare on the 600? We have bought a set of steel VW wheels and winter tyres ready for ours, but the dealer told me there wasn’t an option of fitting a spare to a GC? I too wouldn’t want to rely on the gunk if at all possible. I also like your Gaslow - have you got diesel or gas heating in your 680? Cheers, Alun
Hi Alun,

Yes no problem with fitting a spare wheel to the GC 600/680 it’s the spec from a crafter believe it’s a 16” wheel with a tyre that takes up the correct rolling circumstance of a 17” wheel.

I have gas electric heating. Both work really well, the gas is more efficient on heat. The Tuma combi was designed around diesel/gas.

Will

Hi Alun,

Yes no problem with fitting a spare wheel to the GC 600/680 it’s the spec from a crafter believe it’s a 16” wheel with a tyre that takes up the correct rolling circumstance of a 17” wheel.

I have gas electric heating. Both work really well, the gas is more efficient on heat. The Tuma combi was designed around diesel/gas.

Will
Will, you are a mine of useful information, I will get a spare fitted by the dealer then - really pleased that we can get that done. I also looked at Gaslow but our van will have diesel heating, and they have apparently slimmed down the gas apparatus / bracket to provision for 1 bottle as it is only for cooking - but I would like a gas barbecue point so will explore options. Thanks again, Alun.

Will, you are a mine of useful information, I will get a spare fitted by the dealer then - really pleased that we can get that done. I also looked at Gaslow but our van will have diesel heating, and they have apparently slimmed down the gas apparatus / bracket to provision for 1 bottle as it is only for cooking - but I would like a gas barbecue point so will explore options. Thanks again, Alun.
No worries Alun any time.

Back