Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gassing in South France

Eileen

Eileen

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I thought this was a myth but a motorhome parked next to me at an Aire last night near Montpellier had a gas attack in the early hours, I woke to find several police cars and ambulance outside the van. They got away with ipad and money from the couple who I was only chatting to the night before over a glass of wine. The Police did say it is now becoming quite common and they are East European gangs who are the culprits.

Sad times, meaning I will now need to book into campsites !

We invested in a gas alarm as we wild camp 75% of the time, there are waning signs up at some Aires now especially near the France/Spain border.

$_35.JPG

So what gas was used?
There have been lots of stories like this but no one has published what agent was used, ever.
The last time an Anaesthetic gas was used, by the Russian Special Forces, to try and incapacitate some Terrorists holding a large group of hostages, almost 25% of the whole lot, hostages and Terrorists were killed, and they were fit young people.

I don't disbelieve you, you're stating what you were told, but a lot of these cases are just insurance fraud. Read this and the statement from The Royal College of Anaesthetists.
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/magazine/articles/motorhome-gas-attacks/

Sorry but that " Narcotic Gas Alarm" is a total con.
I know, I've worked with these agents for the last 30+ years.

Last edited:
Thank goodness I've swapped expensive villas for a Cali. :bananadance

Yes, the gas is made from grapes or grain and available in any supermarket or off - license. The detector is called an Alcometer.

Retired Anaesthetist.