Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

GB stickers no longer valid

Old news.
All to do with Northern Ireland.
Great Britain & Northern Ireland = United Kingdom.

Del Amitri : I’m ‘always the last to know’!

Sometimes though, I just feel that if this Govt were building a house, they’d be having off site meetings about dimmer switches for the under stairs cupboard, before they’d actually procured a roof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd been meaning to get some stickers for my 2017 California as its plates have GB + EU flag before our next trip to mainland Europe. The stickers (via eBay) are only £1.49, but glad I hadn't got around to it as I'd probably have got the GB + Union Jack ones. I've now just ordered the UK + Union Jack ones and realised that I also need them for my 2020 Leaf too (it's got GB + union jack) as we occasionally make short trips to France.

I wonder what stickers we'll need in 2022?

I'd been meaning to get some stickers for my 2017 California as its plates have GB + EU flag before our next trip to mainland Europe. The stickers (via eBay) are only £1.49, but glad I hadn't got around to it as I'd probably have got the GB + Union Jack ones. I've now just ordered the UK + Union Jack ones and realised that I also need them for my 2020 Leaf too (it's got GB + union jack) as we occasionally make short trips to France.

I wonder what stickers we'll need in 2022?
I did get the GB Union Jack ones only to have to put the UK ones on top. Glad that I didn't get carried away with new plates being purchased. Also bought the cheap big UK sticker to cover the magnetic GB ones.
Dread to think what will replace it if Scotland goes.
Biggest gripe is the metal GB on my old 60's car being outlawed.

Always wondered why people put these on their vehicles?
In all my Euro driving life I’ve never done it.

I’ve never wanted the ugly things plastered over a nice looking car so I used to have a small (motorcycle) one on the back window (when I had a nice looking car!). I think maybe I’ll just keep some in the glove box in case I get stopped. Of all the number plates in euro land, GB (er, sorry, UK) and NL ones are pretty distinctive anyway. It’s just pointless.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Biggest gripe is the metal GB on my old 60's car being outlawed.
They're not outlawed, it's just that (in theory) you'd need to put on another ("UK") sticker on the back somewhere if you take the car onto the Continent. The GB plate will just be a decoration but no-one says you'd have to take it off.

Historic car rallying is well under way again all over Europe and I've not heard from any British competitors that they've been stopped for having the wrong stickers/plates, nor do I expect it will happen. (They'd have to catch them first, and those 4.5 Bentleys and Talbot 105s can shift).

They're not outlawed, it's just that (in theory) you'd need to put on another ("UK") sticker on the back somewhere if you take the car onto the Continent. The GB plate will just be a decoration but no-one says you'd have to take it off.

Historic car rallying is well under way again all over Europe and I've not heard from any British competitors that they've been stopped for having the wrong stickers/plates, nor do I expect it will happen. (They'd have to catch them first, and those 4.5 Bentleys and Talbot 105s can shift).
The ruling only came in today so it’s a bit early to know what will happen if you insist on displaying a GB plate or sticker as well as a UK one.

It’s because we had to drop the GB as we’re no longer great and Belgium already had just B bagged. Nice to feel annexed to the Ukraine though. ;)

The ruling only came in today so it’s a bit early to know what will happen if you insist on displaying a GB plate or sticker as well as a UK one.
Okay we don't know yet what police in each EU country might do but what I THINK they will do is... nothing.

Plenty of people drive all over the continent with oval stickers with SCO or CYM on the back of their car, purporting to be a Vienna Convention country identification code (with or without a separate GB sticker). I've never heard of anyone being stopped by the police for that. The police generally have better things to do, like investigating gassing of motorhome owners in autoroute aires.

(But if anyone has direct personal experience of being ticketed for something like that, I stand to be corrected.)

(But if anyone has direct personal experience of being ticketed for something like that, I stand to be corrected.)
Once I was stopped by Greek police when riding my 125 cc motorbike (tender to my motorhome).
They knew that the bike had UK plates and pointed out that I didn't have a GB sticker. They were not really bothered; I think that they were curious to know where I had come from. I think that it must have been a very slow day.

Once I was stopped by Greek police when riding my 125 cc motorbike (tender to my motorhome).
They knew that the bike had UK plates and pointed out that I didn't have a GB sticker. They were not really bothered; I think that they were curious to know where I had come from. I think that it must have been a very slow day.
You're a bad 'un and no mistake. Come to think of it, one of my cars has been driven abroad with a white-on-black GB sticker. I'm such a rebel.

Maybe they thought you’d ridden it all the way from GBUKLand

Maybe they thought you’d ridden it all the way from GBUKLand
emoji23.png
I have on a number of occasions had tourists ask me if I have ridden from England.

Having had paintwork destroyed on my current car by leaving a GB sticker on the back for 3 months while in Spain (ended up having it resprayed), i'm reluctant to stick one one my van; so will probably ask if they can supply a union jack/uk plate when the van is registered (which will be interesting as it's a Green and White van and I live in Glasgow, likely making my van a vandalism target from all angles...). Apparently they still need a sticker in Spain though which is annoying!

Not sure if there is any non invasive way of attaching it - I bought a magnetic one but it was useless and would have fallen off.

Last edited:
Having had paintwork destroyed on my current car by leaving a GB sticker on the back for 3 months while in Spain (ended up having it resprayed), i'm reluctant to stick one one my van; so will probably ask if they can supply a union jack/uk plate when the van is registered (which will be interesting as it's a Green and White van and I live in Glasgow, likely making my van a vandalism target from all angles...). Apparently they still need a sticker in spain though which is annoying!

Not sure if there is any non invasive way of attaching it - I bought a magnetic one but it was useless and would have fallen off.
Never had an issue with magnetic ones. This GB one didn’t move a mm in 2500 miles until I took it off yesterday. You could always stick it on the window if you don’t have a bike rack.

5EC779A4-C983-4AB7-8E23-1DA1E49D16ED.jpeg

What next?
Stickers on headlights…

I would be amazed if anyone was actually stopped for not displaying a UK badge. Would they entangle themselves with the paperwork, for such a tiny infraction…?
The Police in mainland Europe probably aren’t even aware about a new UK marker…

I have a GB sticker on the back of mine which has been on for the past 6 years. There’s no way I’m going to try and remove it as I know I will have trouble so just going to stick a UK one on top of it and some UK stickers on the number plates.

Having had paintwork destroyed on my current car by leaving a GB sticker on the back for 3 months while in Spain (ended up having it resprayed), i'm reluctant to stick one one my van; so will probably ask if they can supply a union jack/uk plate when the van is registered (which will be interesting as it's a Green and White van and I live in Glasgow, likely making my van a vandalism target from all angles...). Apparently they still need a sticker in Spain though which is annoying!

Stick it on the rear window.

This stuff works.
7777e170f4ea3b251405970606a25e19.png