Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

GC 600 - first trip and loads of questions

• Thread starter thesquirrelpatrol
  • Start date
thesquirrelpatrol

thesquirrelpatrol

VIP Member
Hi,

we got our new GC600 just over a week ago and headed of for a weeks holiday the following day.

We managed to make it through the trip and absolutely loved the new van however we had a few issues and I had a few queries if anyone may be inclined to assist;

We suffered from the faulty kitchen tap microswitch on the second night - disconnected the plug under the sink and will refer to dealer.
The shower seems to run out of pressure after running for about minute. It goes down to a trickle, stays off for a few seconds and then comes back on full tilt - anyone else had this issue? is it to do with the pump?
Faulty silicon caulking around the side of the toilet door allows water to escape the toilet compartment - again being referred to dealer.

Questions after reading the handbook -
on the control panel under entertainment there is a greyed out "sound system" tab. We only seem to have speakers in the front however the addendum to the handbook for the GC mentions speakers in the front rear and middle and that when camping mode is engaged this should send the audio to all of them???
Likewise we have a greyed out tab for welcome home lighting - is this an option and if so which option includes this feature? we have a step illumination but Chenin camping mode I cannot get the light to come on automatically to illuminate the step when unlocking the vehicle (as is described in the handbook)
does the boiler heat a reservoir of water or does it heat the water as it is pumped? ie does it work like a combi boiler or a systems?

I'm sure I have a million more questions but those are all I can think of at the. moment.

Thanks
Adam

Hi,

we got our new GC600 just over a week ago and headed of for a weeks holiday the following day.

We managed to make it through the trip and absolutely loved the new van however we had a few issues and I had a few queries if anyone may be inclined to assist;

We suffered from the faulty kitchen tap microswitch on the second night - disconnected the plug under the sink and will refer to dealer.
The shower seems to run out of pressure after running for about minute. It goes down to a trickle, stays off for a few seconds and then comes back on full tilt - anyone else had this issue? is it to do with the pump?
Faulty silicon caulking around the side of the toilet door allows water to escape the toilet compartment - again being referred to dealer.

on the control panel under entertainment there is a greyed out "sound system" tab. We only seem to have speakers in the front however the addendum to the handbook for the GC mentions speakers in the front rear and middle and that when camping mode is engaged this should send the audio to all of them???
Likewise we have a greyed out tab for welcome home lighting - is this an option and if so which option includes this feature? we have a step illumination but Chenin camping mode I cannot get the light to come on automatically to illuminate the step when unlocking the vehicle (as is described in the handbook)
does the boiler heat a reservoir of water or does it heat the water as it is pumped? ie does it work like a combi boiler or a systems?

I'm sure I have a million more questions but those are all I can think of at the. moment.

Thanks
Adam
Hi Adam.
I picked my van up yesterday.
so far. A cupboard lid fell open as I left the dealership. Didn’t bother returning. Don’t think the salesman had a clue. Handover was pretty much similar to buying a sandwich. Rather disappointing. you’re pressures were all off so had to to stop and sort that.
wifi router not working. Trying to move the connector to the farthest one as seems to be a solution but it’s not easy to get to.
finally managed to get hot water on hook up. Not working on diesel.
should I only have one regulator for gas if I have diesel heater???
I was really disappointed to not have the “sound system”. I had assumed it was standard as it was not on the very configurator (and still is not). I got mine through drive the deal and it wasn’t in the options when I ordered (it is now though). I ticked pretty much every option other than satellite and ambient lights and asked dealer if I was missing anything and he said no.
was very miffed to find out I didn’t have the rear speakers today. But I guess I went somewhere to save money and got the service that comes with that. Having just put up my “blinds”. Do the windscreen ones just hang off the sun visors or should there be some rods for the sides that I don’t have?
love the van just think the buying experience and initial experience had been lacking. I’m sure I’m not the first to think that. I did however have two dead moths and some dead shrubbery in the wet room thrown in for free.

Hi Adam.
so far. A cupboard lid fell open as I left the dealership. Didn’t bother returning. Don’t think the salesman had a clue. Handover was pretty much similar to buying a sandwich. Rather disappointing. you’re pressures were all off so had to to stop and sort that.
wifi router not working. Trying to move the connector to the farthest one as seems to be a solution but it’s not easy to get to.
I was really disappointed to not have the “sound system”. I had assumed it was standard as it was not on the very configurator (and still is not). I got mine through drive the deal and it wasn’t in the options when I ordered (it is now though). I ticked pretty much every option other than satellite and ambient lights and asked dealer if I was missing anything and he said no.
was very miffed to find out I didn’t have the rear speakers today. But I guess I went somewhere to save money and got the service that comes with that. Having just put up my “blinds”. Do the windscreen ones just hang off the sun visors or should there be some rods for the sides that I don’t have?
love the van just think the buying experience and initial experience had been lacking. I’m sure I’m not the first to think that. I did however have two dead moths and some dead shrubbery in the wet room thrown in for free.
‘A cupboard lid fell open as I left the dealership’ Sorry but that made me laugh
Mine’s in the dealership now getting the cupboard catches looked at amongst other things.

Hi Neilly, congrats on your van. I used DTD also and can echo your feelings over handover. I’m not convinced it would have been any different buying it directly from a dealer however.
Re your front blinds, yes there should be rods either side that slide in tightly between the lower dash and top of the windscreen. Hope you find them.
Re the regulator the Gas connection goes straight on to the bottle then to a single changeover switch/regulator mounted on the bulkhead. The gas changeover switch has a gas connection either side to take the two bottles If fitted. The gas cutoff sensor is directly below the changeover.

Last edited:
‘A cupboard lid fell open as I left the dealership’ Sorry but that made me laugh
Mine’s in the dealership now getting the cupboard catches looked at amongst other things.
That is standard!!!

So I think one side of my gas connectors is blanked as only one hose connector installed. There is a brass something in the bag of stuff so maybe this is a second connection that can be fitted to allow a second bottle to be attached for any longer trips abroad. Would it be standard for them to only have one connector fitted if the diesel heater is fitted?
No sign of the rods for the windscreen blind so will need to get some sent out. very difficult to find pictures of them online as if VW have paid someone to remove all online pictures of them out of sheer embarrassment.
finally managed to get some internet connection. Will see how it goes as definitely temperamental.
I tried taking the catch off the cupboard but can’t move it. Don’t really want to be trying to realign the hinges. However, if when closed I then push the catch in a bit more it does seem to grip a bit more and look like it catches the rail better. Will find out next journey if it holds any better.
Despite the niggles and the initial disappointment at not having the rear speakers the van is great. What a difference it is sleeping on that bed rather than up in the roof of the T5.
Are there any well fitting covers for the bench seat? I’ve got some drive dressy ones in order but even then I need something for protection from dirty wet dogs.
Finally, the toilet shower/tap… does the water just come out the central black circle part or can it come out the whole head?

We came from a T5 also and echo your thoughts re the luxury bed.

I can take some photos of the rods for you tomorrow if you wish. From a safety perspective it would always be a good idea to keep a blank fitted if not in use. I’m sure there are some minor catch adjustments without moving the hinge perhaps others can advise. There is very few companies doing a bench fitted cover yet but if it’s only temporary for the dogs then you should be able to get some generic waterproof ones to make fit or drape a travel rug over the seat.
The water should come out of the whole shower head. perhaps there’s still air in the system. I had to run the water thru for about 10mins initially.

Last edited:
Just checked. It’s definitely only set up for one. Does anyone else with the diesel heating option have this or was it another hidden optional extra that I missed?

EA30D7D6-3FAA-4BD4-8329-5D2D97DA05B8.jpeg

2BE7CC67-B967-420F-BE3D-DB4941D10632.jpeg

Interesting that it’s a slightly different gas arrangement, what do others have?
5C143CC7-87D3-4F90-8082-0067F9986015.jpeg

2F7DF5A6-3738-44FF-A750-F93183560B2E.jpeg

C0B8C91C-C5D8-4B6D-8190-3BBE132B83C9.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the pictures. Enquiries sent to the dealership, hopefully I can get the rods and I’ve asked for a cupboard catch. Always a bit of a hassle getting it to dealership so ideal if they can just post out.

My 680 with Diesel heater is the same as Bobcat01.

Hi Adam.
Hiya
If the dealer can’t get the rods for you for a while we have a spare set you can borrow, my partner is in Glasgow most of the time if it helps.
We had the very same hassle when we bought ours it was a shambles from start to finish, love the vehicle but as for the rest SPEACHLESS
Regards
April

Hi,

Thanks
Adam
I have same issue with tap, see thread GC disillusionment. The inka seat covers for T6 cali fir the front, the bench seat can be manhandled and adjusted for bigger seat, but I just need it for 2 child seats, so poor fit doesn’t really matter

Hi Adam.
Sounds like you've got some issues but nothing you cannot handle.

Whatever more you'd get from a dealer you will pay for, including the 1 hour of talking through what things do, money saved there

Hiya
If the dealer can’t get the rods for you for a while we have a spare set you can borrow, my partner is in Glasgow most of the time if it helps.
We had the very same hassle when we bought ours it was a shambles from start to finish, love the vehicle but as for the rest SPEACHLESS
Regards
April
Thanks April, very kind of you to offer. They work ok without the rods so can manage fine. Will keep pestering the dealership about them and the gas and cupboard latches. He forgot to get me to sign the sales invoice. Not sure if that’s an issue for him, however it will be getting delayed until issues resolved.
Otherwise loving the van. Second trip completed. It really does drive well for such a big and long vehicle. Finding parking spots a bit trickier but so much more comfortable and enjoyable than the T5 was. Always thought I slept fairly well in the previous van but nowhere near as well as I do now.

As gutted as I am with all mines faults, it’s good to see the humour in it all. These dealers are truly clueless, especially considering the money we pay for these vans.

Chris California on utube does great videos.

We had 20 minute hand over from John Clarke Motors - 2 hours on new van.

The VW Commercial web chat is ok too.
Cupboard catches are a recall item.

Just checked. It’s definitely only set up for one. Does anyone else with the diesel heating option have this or was it another hidden optional extra that I missed?

View attachment 82819
Hi
I have a GC600 with diesel heating but have fittings set up for housing 2 gas bottles. Wasn’t aware of this being an optional extra!
Craig

Hi
I have a GC600 with diesel heating but have fittings set up for housing 2 gas bottles. Wasn’t aware of this being an optional extra!
Craig
It’s not

mine was july build and is only set up for 1 bottle. it appears they have changed for newer builds

I am diesel heating and is 2 gas bottles attaching connections. Is bag extra connections - may you searching you bag.

Back