Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

GC electrical system observations

G

gover100

Vehicle
Grand California 680
Following a successful jump start and a couple of hours scratching head and playing with a multimeter (and the control panel) I have learnt a few things that I'd love to know match others experience?!

Sorry for rambling post...

The leisure battery was 100% charged and the vehicle battery was dead (<10v). In this condition, there was no battery-to-battery charging. Despite a full leisure battery and connected to EHU, no charging of vehicle battery performed.

Drove 20 miles (after jump start) and leisure battery still at 100%. Vehicle battery + 12.02v

Plugged into EHU, ran heating on electric 10amp, turned fridge on.. just testing things. Leisure battery showed charging and 18A 12.1Vv Vehicle battery 12.1v.

Turned fridge and heating off - nothing else being used - leisure battery still charging on EHU. Shows 16A load 12.2v? vehicle battery 12.2v. 30 minutes later, both batteries at 12.3v and a steady load of around 10A on lesiure battery. Now both batteries are at 12.4v

So, yes, there appears to be battery-to-battery charging when both batteries are in a usable state of health. I am not convinced this particularly smart... It appears to be independent of the isolation switch - ie, with that off the leisure battery still feeds ths vehicle battery.

The fully charged leisure battery was down to 70% by now, even with EHU. Leisure battery is happily sacrificed/balanced with vehicle battery?

I was told the step and everything from the cab 'bulkhead' forward is fed by the vehicle battery, everythin gelse by leisure. This is nonsense, lighting above the bed area and awning light are powered from vehicle battery as is 20A 12v feed at rear of vehicle. Will test 12v usb and other lights later.

I am off to study the french wiring diagrams found on this forum (thank you) and fusebox layouts. I am baffled as to why both batteries were depleted in 27 days. Oh, I think VW has some battery protection to prevent the vehicle battery from dropping too low... I will be hunting for the battery drain for days I suspect*.

If anyone else has any insights on how the electrical system works, i'd love to hear them!

*current favourite source is the entertainment/we connect system, i think it may be able to continue to download/install updates with ignition off.

Update - no, pretty sure I havea short. 12.6v across + / bodywork. Great - fusebox bingo for the rest of the weekend!?

i am my gc680 park last year october. Is not move or switch on 3 month. 2 day before now i am 1st time activate motor and is everything works good.
December i must attach camper land power charge leisure battery only 2 time, 8 hour because is solar panel not functions december winter son to weak make power.

May it be you must visit Vw service center and ask they inspection you electric system and if warranty they make you new batterys. Is bad battery make many electronic problem today.

Update - no, pretty sure I havea short. 12.6v across + / bodywork. Great - fusebox bingo for the rest of the weekend!?
If you’ve got a short drawing 10 amps you should be able to find it pretty easily.
It will be the cables that are smoking or glowing.

The 10A was the charge going from the leisure battery to the vehicle battery and gradually dropped I guess as battery neared capacity. Now vehicle battery is charged, the load on the leisure battery is 0A (with no other devices active).

Following a successful jump start and a couple of hours scratching head and playing with a multimeter (and the control panel) I have learnt a few things that I'd love to know match others experience?!

Sorry for rambling post...

The leisure battery was 100% charged and the vehicle battery was dead (<10v). In this condition, there was no battery-to-battery charging. Despite a full leisure battery and connected to EHU, no charging of vehicle battery performed.

Drove 20 miles (after jump start) and leisure battery still at 100%. Vehicle battery + 12.02v

Plugged into EHU, ran heating on electric 10amp, turned fridge on.. just testing things. Leisure battery showed charging and 18A 12.1Vv Vehicle battery 12.1v.

Turned fridge and heating off - nothing else being used - leisure battery still charging on EHU. Shows 16A load 12.2v? vehicle battery 12.2v. 30 minutes later, both batteries at 12.3v and a steady load of around 10A on lesiure battery. Now both batteries are at 12.4v

So, yes, there appears to be battery-to-battery charging when both batteries are in a usable state of health. I am not convinced this particularly smart... It appears to be independent of the isolation switch - ie, with that off the leisure battery still feeds ths vehicle battery.

The fully charged leisure battery was down to 70% by now, even with EHU. Leisure battery is happily sacrificed/balanced with vehicle battery?

I was told the step and everything from the cab 'bulkhead' forward is fed by the vehicle battery, everythin gelse by leisure. This is nonsense, lighting above the bed area and awning light are powered from vehicle battery as is 20A 12v feed at rear of vehicle. Will test 12v usb and other lights later.

I am off to study the french wiring diagrams found on this forum (thank you) and fusebox layouts. I am baffled as to why both batteries were depleted in 27 days. Oh, I think VW has some battery protection to prevent the vehicle battery from dropping too low... I will be hunting for the battery drain for days I suspect*.

If anyone else has any insights on how the electrical system works, i'd love to hear them!

*current favourite source is the entertainment/we connect system, i think it may be able to continue to download/install updates with ignition off.
Hi the manual says that the solar panel only charges the auxiliary battery. I had this confirmed by the dealer when they let the starter battery go flat.
It also says that the EHU charges the 12 v batteries. Which I take to mean both batteries.
I tested my 20A socket in the boot and it only works when the isolation switch is on.
The step, awning light and background lights all work with the switch off; the touch sensitive lights don’t.
Having the wired tracker may have caused your flat battery.
Hope you get it sorted.

hi, interesting - I have the same problem with my GC600 . leisure battery good , van battery dead. how did you access the van battery to charge / jump start . I watched Chris's video and it says it's under the seat. I have plugged in the van to see if the mains does charge the van battery as well as the leisure one . has anyone verified this as so far there is no sign of life !

hi, interesting - I have the same problem with my GC600 . leisure battery good , van battery dead. how did you access the van battery to charge / jump start . I watched Chris's video and it says it's under the seat. I have plugged in the van to see if the mains does charge the van battery as well as the leisure one . has anyone verified this as so far there is no sign of life !
If you need to jump start the engine battery (which is located in the vehicle) there are points for attaching jump leads in the engine bay, near the leisure battery.

There is a + terminal hidden behind a removable piece of plastic above the habitation battery. The - terminal is the other side of the engine bay. This makes using one of those handheld jump start devices impossible.

Thanks for this. I found the vehicle battery which is under the passenger floor. 3 star head screws to be removed. The battery is completely discharged. So far it’s been on charge for 16 hrs and not much sign of life ! I don’t think the euh charges this battery

My experience is that the EHU does charge the vehicle battery - under normal conditions.

I had a monitor on it and could see the charge level increase when plugged in. However, if the vehicle battery is very low on charge, then EHU doesnt charge it... weird.

Back