GC skylight recall - Dec 2019 to April 2021

Mr T

Mr T

Chris
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 600
FYI Read about a recall on the skylights posted on the Grand Cali Facebook Group:

"Production period: December 2019-April 2021; Grand California 600 and 680 Problem: Wind-up skylights were installed which show faulty bonding of the plastic hood to the hinge. Incorrect bonding can result in the plastic cover detaching from the hinge. Airflow at higher speeds can lead to the loss of the plastic hood of the skylight. Remedy: The adhesion of the plastic hood is checked and additionally secured. Skylights with loose adhesive connections are renewed. Recall Action Code: 75A2"

This is a translation from the original post, that was in German.
Might be worth checking with VW.

FYI Read about a recall on the skylights posted on the Grand Cali Facebook Group:

"Production period: December 2019-April 2021; Grand California 600 and 680 Problem: Wind-up skylights were installed which show faulty bonding of the plastic hood to the hinge. Incorrect bonding can result in the plastic cover detaching from the hinge. Airflow at higher speeds can lead to the loss of the plastic hood of the skylight. Remedy: The adhesion of the plastic hood is checked and additionally secured. Skylights with loose adhesive connections are renewed. Recall Action Code: 75A2"

Good call, mine is booked in for the 18th, apparently they need to inspect first before ordering a new skylight so a two day job. Also infotainment system update is available.

Ours completely fell off during a trip to Alton Towers - had to go to the nearest van centre and get it duct taped on ofor the drive back home. Local van centre had to replace the whole skylight unit which meant that the whole interior in the rear had to be stripped out.

Fault seemed to be that the metalwork holding the perspex at the front of the winding mechanism failed causing the Perspex to slip out at the front so when you wound the handle the whole window slid back and when you tried to re-secure it back into place there was nothing holding it down at the front.

Glad it wasn't me having to do the repair as it sounded like a complete nightmare

Ours completely fell off during a trip to Alton Towers - had to go to the nearest van centre and get it duct taped on ofor the drive back home. Local van centre had to replace the whole skylight unit which meant that the whole interior in the rear had to be stripped out.

Fault seemed to be that the metalwork holding the perspex at the front of the winding mechanism failed causing the Perspex to slip out at the front so when you wound the handle the whole window slid back and when you tried to re-secure it back into place there was nothing holding it down at the front.

Glad it wasn't me having to do the repair as it sounded like a complete nightmare
Please do not say any more as brings me out in a sweat

Mine is in on Thursday. Iv added that to the list, while is getting a little long again

Had mine checked today. August 21 Cali 600, nothing wrong with the Sjylight, Phew.

New style tap on order, Navigation unit fixed today with a software update. Couldn’t login to Weconnect.

Had mine checked today. August 21 Cali 600, nothing wrong with the Sjylight, Phew.

New style tap on order, Navigation unit fixed today with a software update. Couldn’t login to Weconnect.
Good news! Hope the tap arrives quickly.

My tap and change is due today. I have a feeling it may be delayed or take longer but I hope not.

The vans at the dealers having the roof leak investigated; they are checking the roof light at the same time.
It’s not a recall apparently it’s a ‘campaign’

So...They can't fault the tap...so they wont change it despite having the new tap in stock...

I said, so I need to have a ruined holiday to get it changed for a known issue, please advise what to do in event of another fault....no answer, followed by bring it straight in so we can see it has faulted..I'm like 'from France yeah?, it will have dried out!... but they also said please don't change it yourself! They can't authorise changing it unless they can demonstrate it does't work...try VW customer care...awesome.

It was in for skylight bonding check...me: you are waiting for the parts.....VW: yes me: but it hasn't failed, VW:No me: but you will repair it :VW yes, it's a recall: you can guess my next question.

...and my current mood. Anyone else experiencing this or recommend a dealer that doesn't have this approach?

I guess I'll wait and see if it does fail and then claim full consequential loss from VW Customer care for any ruined holiday for failing to address a known issue.

So...They can't fault the tap...so they wont change it despite having the new tap in stock...

I said, so I need to have a ruined holiday to get it changed for a known issue, please advise what to do in event of another fault....no answer, followed by bring it straight in so we can see it has faulted..I'm like 'from France yeah?, it will have dried out!... but they also said please don't change it yourself! They can't authorise changing it unless they can demonstrate it does't work...try VW customer care...awesome.

It was in for skylight bonding check...me: you are waiting for the parts.....VW: yes me: but it hasn't failed, VW:No me: but you will repair it :VW yes, it's a recall: you can guess my next question.

...and my current mood. Anyone else experiencing this or recommend a dealer that doesn't have this approach?

I guess I'll wait and see if it does fail and then claim full consequential loss from VW Customer care for any ruined holiday for failing to address a known issue.
I can only imagine your frustration and despair. It will be worse for them should it fail whilst your on holiday. It known that people have rejected their vans due to the tap issue. It wouldn’t happen with La Strada.

I originally was going to buy a La Strada..but Brexit.

I will give Vw customer service a polite piece of my mind but I’d rather drive to a dealer that knows how to deal with this.
Or I’ll buy the tap and have a converter fit it. Why would I pay main dealer labour prices with that kind of service.

I originally was going to buy a La Strada..but Brexit.
Fantastic van and beautifully built and the build is quality, a properly spec one is double the price of a GC

did they do your infotainment system while you was there I believe there was also another recall for something else but slipped my mind now. All in all three items skylight infotainment system and something else?

Where is the tap in stock - I cant get mine changed because they cant get hold of one?

Infotainment has been done by Sytner before I picked it up. But yes skylight and apparently tap not a recall only fix on fault.

Where is the tap in stock - I cant get mine changed because they cant get hold of one?
At the dealer that won’t now change it as they ordered it but say it must be failed when taken in…

I will give Vw customer service a polite piece of my mind but I’d rather drive to a dealer that knows how to deal with this.
Or I’ll buy the tap and have a converter fit it. Why would I pay main dealer labour prices with that kind of service.
So still need to talk to VW customer service. Dealer has spoken of good will etc. they feel their hands are tied. Let’s see how I fair. Will be next week now.

So still need to talk to VW customer service. Dealer has spoken of good will etc. they feel their hands are tied. Let’s see how I fair. Will be next week now.
Good will, it’s a known global issue, sorry I’m not meaning to wind you up just makes my blood boil.

Good will, it’s a known global issue, sorry I’m not meaning to wind you up just makes my blood boil.
Oh it makes mine boil too, but I wasn't going to get anywhere today with it that was clear.

Can you help me unpick this please
1. "The skylight is a "recall" or just a known fault. If former I assume VW will contact me?...if not then I have to make my own arrangement with VW customer service?

2."the tap"...I assume you are talking about the known fault with the microswitch housing on the kitchen tap (not waterproof). I have recently addressed this with VW UK who state that this is NOT a recall. I was told by some German owners whilst on holiday last month that it is in Germany. They have agreed to change it under warranty....may create an issue as the van is over 2 years old now.

Sounds like another long stay at VW Dartford. Last time (fridge replacement) it was in for 3 months....sigh

Which bit fails? Hinge to the body or hinge to the clear perspex

Which bit fails? Hinge to the body or hinge to the clear perspex
Skylight to hinge is my reading of it.

“faulty bonding of the plastic hood to the hinge. Incorrect bonding can result in the plastic cover detaching from the hinge.”

Back