Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

GC600 Driveaway awning recommendations please

S

stevesilverGC

Vehicle
Grand California 600
Hopefully someone can help, I do not have the factory fitted awning on our Grand600 and therefore no awning connection rail but am hoping to purchase a driveaway awning to fit. I was wondering if anyone had used one and if they could recommend a good option please which is supplied with the over roof strap connection system.

Thanks in advance

My suggestion made on the basis of having had one - don't!! Absolute nightmare, putting up, taking down, storing - especially when wet, and it spoilt the view from the van. Only two of us. If you are a big family with pet you might have no option if you must have the space.

My suggestion made on the basis of having had one - don't!! Absolute nightmare, putting up, taking down, storing - especially when wet, and it spoilt the view from the van. Only two of us. If you are a big family with pet you might have no option if you must have the space.
We had one a few years ago and found the benefits outweighed the disadvantages, we enjoyed the extra space etc. seen many options at the NEC and ordered one online. Cant wait to try it out, Thanks for your comment.

Depends on how you camp everyone is different.
I had this set up for a weeks camping with ex and two dogs in the alps (baking hot), and worked great.
Still occasionally use it with the joker if I get a part seasonal pitch. Looks tiny when connected to joker (sorry no pic of that).
Outwell paradise (takes 5mins and easy for one to put up).3F6CE37B-9C0F-4497-9F8C-D61992E50DAF.jpeg

Hopefully someone can help, I do not have the factory fitted awning on our Grand600 and therefore no awning connection rail but am hoping to purchase a driveaway awning to fit. I was wondering if anyone had used one and if they could recommend a good option please which is supplied with the over roof strap connection system.

Thanks in advance
Hi can I ask what you ended up getting and how happy you were with your choose? We’ve just gone from an Ocean to Gc600 and are wondering the same? Thanks

We have bought a “Glawning” with the high connection for Crafter, Sprinters etc. We’ve had one previously which we used with a T25 and T6 and got on really well with it, found it easier to put up than air awnings etc, which we have just moved away from when selling our large Motorhome. Will be using it for the first time next week With the GC680….we sometimes take our 2 dogs away with us or just want that additional space if we are in one place for a good few days. Although I do think you need an awning rail of some sort for it to connect.

Last edited:
We have bought a “Glawning” with the high connection for Crafter, Sprinters etc. We’ve had one previously which we used with a T25 and T6 and got on really well with it, found it easier to put up than air awnings etc, which we have just moved away from when selling our large Motorhome. Will be using it for the first time next week With the GC680….we sometimes take our 2 dogs away with us or just want that additional space if we are in one place for a good few days. Although I do think you need an awning rail of some sort for it to connect.
That sounds perfect for us as I already have a 5m bell tent and an emperor tent. I think I saw at one stage that glawning do some form of connector so if it’s not specific for their own bell tent I may be able to just buy that. I hope it goes well fir you next week. Thanks for the advice be great to hear how you get on.

That sounds perfect for us as I already have a 5m bell tent and an emperor tent. I think I saw at one stage that glawning do some form of connector so if it’s not specific for their own bell tent I may be able to just buy that. I hope it goes well fir you next week. Thanks for the advice be great to hear how you get on.
No worries. If their connector does not fit, you used to be able to buy 3m x 3m (or something like that size) Tarp in the same colour/material as the bell tent as I used to use one as an entry porch when I had a normal bell tent. I am sure that could be used to create the link between the van and bell tent.

here we are set up on our first trip in the new to us GC680……rain Scuppered getting the link between the bell tent and van, but we now know what the proper distance will be! Excuse the fencing keeping the dog in! IMG_2162.jpeg

IMG_2161.jpeg

Back