Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

GC600 without top bed?

Monty6

Monty6

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Hi. Considering option. The GC600 is a possibility but we don't need the top bed. Does anyone own, ordered or seen one without the bed, please? Any benefits to it other than its main purpose? 680 is too long for our needs. Thanks.

Hi. Considering option. The GC600 is a possibility but we don't need the top bed. Does anyone own, ordered or seen one without the bed, please? Any benefits to it other than its main purpose? 680 is too long for our needs. Thanks.
Hi just changed from 600 to 680 had 600 without bed option have to say really miss the overhead storage the 600 has in loo of the kiddie bed. Save yourself 2.5k and have extra storage, you will need it.

Hope that’s useful.

I would guess come resale time the extra bed will a much sought after option. I would have thought the majority of buyers of the 600 rather than the 680 would be buying because it has 4 beds.

I would guess come resale time the extra bed will a much sought after option. I would have thought the majority of buyers of the 600 rather than the 680 would be buying because it has 4 beds.
Not according to VW’s original demographic as a high percentage are the grey pound and although the media talk about grandkids the Germans have purchased more without the over bed option and after now owning one feel if it had the option it would be impractical/awkward with the ladder in place.

Not according to VW’s original demographic as a high percentage are the grey pound and although the media talk about grandkids the Germans have purchased more without the over bed option and after now owning one feel if it had the option it would be impractical/awkward with the ladder in place.

So if no-one is buying them new, when it comes to resale there will be far less competition & may well warrant a far higher resale price.

At the moment I can only find one 4 bed 600 for sale, but approx 20 2 bed 600/680s

Ive yet to find any motorhome where the ladder / drop down bed hasn't got in the way of something. & if you need 3 or berths you have to compromise somewhere.

If you don't have the optional bed, do you actually get more storage up there than you would get by just chucking stuff on the bed? Ive not seen a decent photo of that area without the bed.

As Jester has replied, I'm not sure that will be the case. The (our) Cali appeals to younger folks who are more likely to have children of an age that need to holiday with their parents. I don't see many 'surf dudes' buying a Grand over the iconic regular Cali.
When I think of likely buyers of the Grand, I've looking at the 'travelling togs' demographic, who sold their Cali for a competitior of the Grand.
So 2 berth and more / easier storage would be a winner.

So if no-one is buying them new, when it comes to resale there will be far less competition & may well warrant a far higher resale price.

At the moment I can only find one 4 bed 600 for sale, but approx 20 2 bed 600/680s

Ive yet to find any motorhome where the ladder / drop down bed hasn't got in the way of something. & if you need 3 or berths you have to compromise somewhere.

If you don't have the optional bed, do you actually get more storage up there than you would get by just chucking stuff on the bed? Ive not seen a decent photo of that area without the bed.
Hi Andy yes lots of room in the storage area directly above the cab, don’t forget it extends past the windscreen. Not sure it’s advisable or recommend to drive with the bed in position. And yes they are all a compromise.

Thanks
I did mean with the bed retracted - even with 2 layers of bed there looked to be plenty of room for other stuff.

Thanks
I did mean with the bed retracted - even with 2 layers of bed there looked to be plenty of room for other stuff.
And if they lose the guppy roof line it would be a lot more "attractive".

Hola, para mí es más práctico y mejor sin la cama superior. realmente no es práctica si no mides menos de 1’5 metros.

70A3FDBD-38F9-4402-AD84-BCAD1F353A53.jpeg

Thanks all for the replies. Decided to not go with the GC.

Back