Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gearbox issue

D

D'sCali

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Anyone else had a problem with their DSG gearbox failing?
We have had the van 3 years and 1 month ( yes 1 month outside of warranty) from new and have only done 12000 miles in it. From new we felt the gearbox didn't work properly, but when reporting it to the van centre where we purchased it from they told us, we just had to get used to driving a DSG. We even took it in for a check when the front tyres were scrubbing and needed replacing after around 9000 miles. Again to be told it was us and we needed to put it in sports mode to set off and that would help. However on setting off on holiday to the Outer Hebridies last month, it started juddering at speed and then cleared itself. On some occasions it would make an almighty bang and again clear and continue to drive as normal. There were no warning lights and some days were better than others, but then some days we didn't drive that far. We thought 'crap' fuel at first, then water in the fuel filter, then sensor failure or hose leaks, our mechanic had a look and said take it to VW. Which we did and imagine the shock when we were told that it is a gearbox failure! It's 3 years old and only done 12000 miles. They also kindly informed us that it was out of warranty and hadn't been diagnosed during warranty, despite us reporting issues within weeks of buying it and taking it in on more than one occasion, they still claim this was our driving and that a gearbox failure is highly unusual and we have just been unlucky. It appears their misdiagnosis will cost us dearly.
Has anyone dealt directly with VW for issues just out of warranty ?
Has anyone else had gearbox issues and needed a full replacement rather than repair?
Thanks in advance...

Last edited:
Even though it’s faulty it doesn’t mean it needs a complete replacement. I have had dealings with VW with an out of warranty claim but not the gearbox. After Three and a half years we had a with the awning coming apart in the Spanish sun. At first VW refused to do anything but I persisted and eventually we came to an arrangement where the Dealer, VW and myself pay a third each. I knew that was the best I was going to get so accepted it.
I would think you have a very good case. Have you contacted VW customer care? When was the van last serviced? Was it done by VW?
Contact them you have nothing to lose? For good will you will need to be persistent with them and tell them you reported the fault a number of times.

We have had the van 3 years and 1 month ( yes 1 month outside of warranty) from new and have only done 12000 miles in it. From new we felt the gearbox didn't work properly, but when reporting it to the van centre where we purchased it from they told us, we just had to get used to driving a DSG. We even took it in for a check when the front tyres were scrubbing and needed replacing after around 9000 miles. Again to be told it was us and we needed to put it in sports mode to set off and that would help. However on setting off on holiday to the Outer Hebridies last month, it started juddering at speed and then cleared itself. On some occasions it would make an almighty bang and again clear and continue to drive as normal. There were no warning lights and some days were better than others, but then some days we didn't drive that far. We thought 'crap' fuel at first, then water in the fuel filter, then sensor failure or hose leaks, our mechanic had a look and said take it to VW. Which we did and imagine the shock when we were told that it is a gearbox failure! It's 3 years old and only done 12000 miles. They also kindly informed us that it was out of warranty and hadn't been diagnosed during warranty, despite us reporting issues within weeks of buying it and taking it in on more than one occasion, they still claim this was our driving and that a gearbox failure is highly unusual and we have just been unlucky. It appears their misdiagnosis will cost us dearly.
Has anyone else had gearbox issues and needed a full replacement rather than repair?
Thanks in advance...
Do you have anything in writing, regarding the reporting of problems with the gear box, even an email from the dealer, service record stating your concern to have the gearbox inspected etc ?

you need to prove that you were aware of the problem whilst it was in Warranty, and prove no action was taken by the dealer to resolve the issue Despite several attempts on your part to highlight the faulty gearbox etc etc.

Thanks in advance...
Such problems with the DSG box are very rare.
Has it been serviced by VW throughout the warranty?
You mention " your mechanic ", In what context.
Ask for a Service printout on your vehicle from the Dealership.
Everything done to the vehicle is "supposed " to be entered on the computer record.
As suggested VWCServices should be contacted.

Even though it’s faulty it doesn’t mean it needs a complete replacement. I have had dealings with VW with an out of warranty claim but not the gearbox. After Three and a half years we had a with the awning coming apart in the Spanish sun. At first VW refused to do anything but I persisted and eventually we came to an arrangement where the Dealer, VW and myself pay a third each. I knew that was the best I was going to get so accepted it.
I would think you have a very good case. Have you contacted VW customer care? When was the van last serviced? Was it done by VW?
Contact them you have nothing to lose? For good will you will need to be persistent with them and tell them you reported the fault a number of times.
Thanks, will put a call in as you say, nothing to loose at this point!

Do you have anything in writing, regarding the reporting of problems with the gear box, even an email from the dealer, service record stating your concern to have the gearbox inspected etc ?

you need to prove that you were aware of the problem whilst it was in Warranty, and prove no action was taken by the dealer to resolve the issue Despite several attempts on your part to highlight the faulty gearbox etc etc.
Thanks, They should have the records, but I guess it depends what they actually recorded! I'll trawl back through my emails too.

Such problems with the DSG box are very rare.
Has it been serviced by VW throughout the warranty?
You mention " your mechanic ", In what context.
Ask for a Service printout on your vehicle from the Dealership.
Everything done to the vehicle is "supposed " to be entered on the computer record.
As suggested VWCServices should be contacted.
Thanks, everything so far has been done through VW ( dealership/ service team) and in accordance with the service requirements. I think it's because they hadn't seen it before, supporting your point of it being very rare, that led them not to investigate when we took it in, but instead to put it down to driving styles and the 'quirkiness of the DSG gearbox'. Which is why now they can't relate it back to an actual reported fault. We will keep pursuing it and hopefully it is a component that can be repaired rather than a full replacement, and that someone, dealer or VW pays up!
It was the intermittent symptoms that threw us, as a gearbox failure would normally be consistent, maybe electronic?

Worth checking if they changed/ checked the DSG oil at the last major service, should be changed at 40,000 miles not sure if it should be after 3 years despite mileage.

Might be the mechatronic which has failed. I think that these can have issues that give intermittent faults. Have you tried going to another dealer and trying to get the all in service and warranty deal? If the fault is intermittent you might get lucky.

Thanks in advance...
You are protected by consumer law which states that the vehicle has to be fit for purpose so you would expect 10 years and or 100,000 miles. If you don’t get an offer from VW of at least 70% of the cost covered by them then take them to court and you will win with potentially all of the costs covered by them.
Good luck!

Regards

Goss

Thank you, very helpful and will be following it up. Still waiting to hear from the dealer as to who is paying for it - as long as it’s not me, I don’t really mind!

Don’t take my word for it!

Retailing for 20 years, now semi retired.

Goss

Nowhere in the CRA does it mention 10 years or 100k miles.

Depends what the fault is, if its a burnt out clutch pack, that would be down to user error/wear & tear.

@D'sCali if you can find proof that the fault was reported whilst in warranty you should be 100% covered.

On similar low mileage VW group DSG box failures it appears VWs stance is usually they will pay 100% for parts & 50% Labour as a goodwill gesture when out of warranty.

Nowhere in the CRA does it mention 10 years or 100k miles.

Depends what the fault is, if its a burnt out clutch pack, that would be down to user error/wear & tear.

@D'sCali if you can find proof that the fault was reported whilst in warranty you should be 100% covered.

On similar low mileage VW group DSG box failures it appears VWs stance is usually they will pay 100% for parts & 50% Labour as a goodwill gesture when out of warranty.
It does depend on what the fault is, no DSG gearbox should fail within 12,000 miles so it should be free of charge especially on a £70K vehicle that’s only 3 years old, that’s a joke!
10 years or £100K would be expected from a Smart car, much more for a higher value car. Over 25% of the cars on the UK’s roared have more than 100K on them and very few will have had any major work carried out on them.

They can be forced to pay for the work in full, it should not cost you a penny and as stated a court will make this happen for little cost. Tell them (VW UK) that and they will back down.

Goss

Back