Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gearbox Issues DSG crunch/whine

W

wollow007

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hi Guy's,

Seem to be having some issued with my California 7 speed DSG box after a services.

A little while ago I had the oil changed in the gearbox and rear diff (4 motion). Normal 45k services, which turned into an expensive service due to requiring new breaks and tyres etc. SMC did all the work, collected after a couple of days.

When I collected I noticed a whine from the gearbox. You could only hear it in the van, although it was present in all gears. I though nothing of it, new oil etc and continued on my way. After around 2-3 days I noticed (with radio turned down) a crunching noise between 5th and 6th gear. It doesn't happen all the time, is around 3000 rpm at 40 or so miles per hour. It is much worse when the van is loaded. The whine is also present, not gone away.

I notified SMC, who took the van back. I did a round test with a mechanic, the van made the noise and it went in for further investigation. After around a week of testing, oil flushing etc SMC called me to collect and see if the noise had been eradicated. I jumped in the van and noticed the whine straight away, crunched in 5th around 3 times on the trip home (around 20 miles).

So I called SMC who booked it in again, and then while using for a couple of days the noise and whine dissipated. I spoke to SMC and agreed that Id use the van and re-book if the noise came back. Within a couple of hours the noise was back, whining and crunching like a good en.

So i am now going to ring SMC to book it in again. I have noticed that the van struggles when cold at pulling away. It almost cuts out, lack of clutch style.

I was wondering if any mechanics out there, or owners of T5's/California's who have had similar issues? It is certainly a head scratcher, which I would like to resolve ASAP. I use the van for Kayaking, Mountain Biking, tow a caravan etc, so without it i'm little lost. Would rather it was not in and out of the garage every couple of weeks.

Any advise/help is always appreciated ;)

Back