Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Generation 6 wheels (Discus) - some questions?

minor hair splitting

a 255/45/18 has a reduction of 0.52% of circumference compared to a 235/55/17 tyre.

road speed loss 0.31mph + 60mph. would also give a corresponding loss of mpg on actual road miles covered.
Ah forgive my use of “perfectly” and I’ll forgive your use of “minor” ;)

Ah forgive my use of “perfectly” and I’ll forgive your use of “minor” ;)
Just trying to convey that with currently enforced time to fill I wasn't 'having a go' at you.

Raised my curiosity a bit more and done some more comparisons using the now 'Standard' tyre fitment size as a base. 215/60/70 with 235/55/17 being the All Season option.

figures for change in Circumference

235/55/17 +0.07%
255/45/18 -0.45%
235/60/17 +3.36%
235/55/18 +3.62%

Tyre that seems to be the one favoured by 20" wheel rim users

275/40/20 +5.25%

All of the above sizes come in load ratings suitable for Cali fitment.

Another tyre option for 18 rims is the 245/50/18 104V which has a 1.77% increase in circumference but has a very restricted range of tyres available.

Thanks for your help/advice on tyres, just posted a question about tyres about which choice - Mitchelin Cross Climate have been mentioned a lot on this forum, but like everything now so much choice and Cross Climate SUV or Agilis or 255/235 etc.

Sticker on driver inside door says 2545 R18 xI 103H

The only part of that I understand is the R18 - that is the wheel size - hopefully!!

We own a T6.1 199 4 Motion which will tow an Eriba and have a bike rack on California with max 3x bikes!
Looking at the current Configurator which gives the 18" wheel-tyre option as
255/45/18 103H Super Low Rolling Resistance.

I assume that the use of this Super low rolling resistance tyre is to get the emission figure down from that of a 255/45/18 103V tyre.

Part of the tyre design changes from an H to V is how it will increase in circumference in relation to speed.
An extreme example was shown in trying to get tyres to withstand this effect on the Land Speed Record attempts. Tyres initially deformed to the point of self destruction.

81640D7C-A9E4-4717-B731-22482155BAC9.jpeg
This is ‘Herman’ on 17” Devonports. Also been of changing to 18’s for ages but just can’t visualise the change well enough to go for it. The Bulli discs look the business (an expensive retirement present ) but I’m thinking it’d have to be the silver version for me if it’s beans on toast forever after that!

View attachment 80906
This is ‘Herman’ on 17” Devonports. Also been of changing to 18’s for ages but just can’t visualise the change well enough to go for it. The Bulli discs look the business (an expensive retirement present ) but I’m thinking it’d have to be the silver version for me if it’s beans on toast forever after that!

Hi - where can I source 255/45/18 cross climates please as quick search shows limited suppliers. Also just been quoted £3,994 (incl VAT) to fit x4 18” Discs with tyres putting cost of wheels alone at circa £3,200. Obvs I’ll be looking for the genuine VW disc alloys at a price well south of that so any help gratefully received!

Cheers

Taff T.

Hi - where can I source 255/45/18 cross climates please as quick search shows limited suppliers. Also just been quoted £3,994 (incl VAT) to fit x4 18” Discs with tyres putting cost of wheels alone at circa £3,200. Obvs I’ll be looking for the genuine VW disc alloys at a price well south of that so any help gratefully received!

Cheers

Taff T.
Unless your van has white paint (two tone or Candy White) I reckon you should have silver bulli edition (discus) wheels
https://www.newwavecustomconversions.co.uk/product/vw-caravelle-bulli-edition-18-alloy-wheels/

Last edited:
Circa £2000 a set of 4 with a generous 1.13 euro rate.

Only worry I'd have is keeping them clean as basically a spoked design with a chrome hub cap which would need removing to do a proper clean.
They don’t appear to offer them as an option any longer when I follow that link ☹️

Daft question I know but are these wheels secured with the same size 5 bolt array as my existing Devonports please?

The tyres on my discs were heavy load van cross climates, so all seemed good and safe. Now on new Coast!

View attachment 74001

View attachment 74002

View attachment 74003

View attachment 74004

View attachment 74005
Hi Tomato

Love the Bulli discs and have some of the all silver 18” version on order right now.

Before I hand over the balance though, could you confirm that underneath the chrome caps there is the standard 5 stud arrangement that my existing Devonports are fitted on? I’m hoping it’s a straightforward swap at my local garage onto the existing wheel studs and using the same nuts.

Also, what load rating do the discs have please (think they’re 103 from what I’ve read)

Many thanks

Taff T.

I Finally took the plunge after taking lots of invaluable advice from the good folk on this forum. ‘Herman’ now has new ‘footwear’.

I went for Bridgestone Weather Control A005 EVO in the end. So far, ride seems no worse and even a bit quieter than original 17” Devonports with Dunlop Sport Maxx…time will tell however and 17” plus tyres now in storage.

C581E440-2A01-49F7-A284-60B7FC97C06B.jpeg

D73DC1A3-622F-408E-A165-9246A3EB82A1.jpeg

I Finally took the plunge after taking lots of invaluable advice from the good folk on this forum. ‘Herman’ now has new ‘footwear’.

I went for Bridgestone Weather Control A005 EVO in the end. So far, ride seems no worse and even a bit quieter than original 17” Devonports with Dunlop Sport Maxx…time will tell however and 17” plus tyres now in storage.

View attachment 84685

View attachment 84686
Lovely retro wheels, reminding me of the 60's domed chrome hubcaps. You made the right choice - silver rather than white with your van.

My wife has said yes to the alloy wheels, so that is exciting, hope to have them for our summer holiday tour, gives me a few months to save and in the meantime try and work what tyres (confusing) and best place to buy the wheels from!!
My wife has said yes to the alloy wheels, so that is exciting, hope to have them for our summer holiday tour, gives me a few months to save and in the meantime try and work what tyres (confusing) and best place to buy the wheels from!!
I went with these guys Gelato…Mike as we say in Wales is a ‘tidy’ fella and got them for what looked like a decent price at the time - genuine OEM rims now on 255/45 R18 103 Y Bridgestone Weather Control cross climates via Blackcirles and so far so good with fitting straightforward.

Hi

I have the Bulli discs fitted presently with Bridgestone all weather 255 45 R18 and they’ve been great so far. My original Devonports (235 55 R17) are currently in storage.

We’re planning circa 3 week trip to N. Spain and S.France before heading back north to UK for the ferry home. I’m thinking of putting the Devonports back on with some new summer tyres as given the mileage we’ll be doing, any extra fuel economy strikes us as a good thing and should we need a tyre/wheel change then the spare will match and get us home.

Is this sound thinking however or are we better just leaving the all weathers on or changing the tyres to R18 summer treads and leaving our Devonports in storage? As usual, any assistance will be greatly appreciated as this is our first tour of any length away from UK shores.

Cheers

Taff T

Hi

I have the Bulli discs fitted presently with Bridgestone all weather 255 45 R18 and they’ve been great so far. My original Devonports (235 55 R17) are currently in storage.

We’re planning circa 3 week trip to N. Spain and S.France before heading back north to UK for the ferry home. I’m thinking of putting the Devonports back on with some new summer tyres as given the mileage we’ll be doing, any extra fuel economy strikes us as a good thing and should we need a tyre/wheel change then the spare will match and get us home.

Is this sound thinking however or are we better just leaving the all weathers on or changing the tyres to R18 summer treads and leaving our Devonports in storage? As usual, any assistance will be greatly appreciated as this is our first tour of any length away from UK shores.

Cheers

Taff T
Basically the cost of a new set of 17" summer tyres would not be justify the potential cost saving.
As you already have Allseason tyres fitted there wouldn't be much of cost benefit by going for purely summer tyres.

To put a bit of an option you could go to the next higher profile on either 17 or 18 rims.
235/60/17 or 235/55/18 both of which would give a slight improvement on mpg.

I've got 235/60/17 and noticed about 3mph gain at 2,000RPM in 7th gear.

Hi anyone have problems putting the chrome trims back on. Took them to clean the wheels now they won’t go back on very tight? Am I missing something

You might know this already, but on the inside of the chrome trim there is a symbol of the tyre valve, this has to go next to the valve on the alloy wheel. When I had the wheels fitted we struggled to put the chrome trims back on until we spotted this symbol, still hard to clip back on mind you! Hope this helps.

You might know this already, but on the inside of the chrome trim there is a symbol of the tyre valve, this has to go next to the valve on the alloy wheel. When I had the wheels fitted we struggled to put the chrome trims back on until we spotted this symbol, still hard to clip back on mind you! Hope this helps.
Amazing thank you. The trims were black with dirt so didn’t see any tyre valve symbol. They fit now

Thank you soooooooo much for this info!!!!!!

I know this is an established thread but it proved invaluable last year when I was waiting for my wagon to arrive. I bought the wheels 2nd hand off this forum and finally had them fitted last weekend for summer time fun.

They get grubby quickly but pop off the chrome hubs and its a 30 minute job.side swipe.jpg

I know this is an established thread but it proved invaluable last year when I was waiting for my wagon to arrive. I bought the wheels 2nd hand off this forum and finally had them fitted last weekend for summer time fun.

They get grubby quickly but pop off the chrome hubs and its a 30 minute job.View attachment 107729
They look superb, clean, in the sun. Whilst waiting for my Cali I thought I'd get some discus wheels, but decided they were too expensive and I wouldn't keep them clean. So I got black Springfields with the sports pack. They also get dirty and show brake dust easily, but you can jet them easily. Silver painted wheels are probably the cleanest looking.

Back