Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Genuine VW waterproof covers - easy on/off regularly?

H

haydnw2

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Can anyone comment on how easy the genuine VW Ocean waterproof seat covers are to fit and remove on a regular basis? I don't want something that's on all the time, but just for use when I've been out on the bike or for a particularly muddy run. As a comparator, I have waterproof seat covers for my car which take no more than 30 seconds (literally) to fit and remove. This means that if I get back muddy and wet I can just throw them on without thinking about it. Previous threads seem to suggest the VW covers are relatively easy to fit as a one-off, but I couldn't find anyone who's explicitly fitting and removing them more frequently. Thanks!

You need to remove the head rest to fit and remove them - so not 30 seconds and not something I would do wet and muddy...

Can anyone comment on how easy the genuine VW Ocean waterproof seat covers are to fit and remove on a regular basis? I don't want something that's on all the time, but just for use when I've been out on the bike or for a particularly muddy run. As a comparator, I have waterproof seat covers for my car which take no more than 30 seconds (literally) to fit and remove. This means that if I get back muddy and wet I can just throw them on without thinking about it. Previous threads seem to suggest the VW covers are relatively easy to fit as a one-off, but I couldn't find anyone who's explicitly fitting and removing them more frequently. Thanks!
Are you referring to all seats or just the Drivers seat?

I used to have one and they do keep the van clean especially from bird lime. They are a bit of a faff to fit though. I found that the easiest method was to arrange the cover as a long sausage so that you can place it on the centre line of the roof and unfurl it down either side of the van. Getting it onto the roof in the first place is a bit of a challenge. Best to use steps or better still a plasterers platform.

As to whether you would want to put it on and take it off regularly I just don't know. It's that aspect that's stopped me buying one for our current van. It would be all too easy to say "sod it I'll take the car instead of unwrapping the van".

I used to have one and they do keep the van clean especially from bird lime. They are a bit of a faff to fit though. I found that the easiest method was to arrange the cover as a long sausage so that you can place it on the centre line of the roof and unfurl it down either side of the van. Getting it onto the roof in the first place is a bit of a challenge. Best to use steps or better still a plasterers platform.

As to whether you would want to put it on and take it off regularly I just don't know. It's that aspect that's stopped me buying one for our current van. It would be all too easy to say "sod it I'll take the car instead of unwrapping the van".
I think the Op is referring to seat covers Borris. :thumb

Sorry yes, it's all seats front and rear. Good point about removing the headrest for the front - my car ones just slide over the whole thing from the top. And whilst I'm often muddy on returning from a ride, it's not usually bad enough to warrant covering up the entire vehicle! :)

Sorry yes, it's all seats front and rear. Good point about removing the headrest for the front - my car ones just slide over the whole thing from the top. And whilst I'm often muddy on returning from a ride, it's not usually bad enough to warrant covering up the entire vehicle! :)
We just use these.

If you want/need a 30 second switchover then I'd go for the garage mechanic style cover. You can get industrial quality versions of these. Anything fitted is going to take longer

If you want/need a 30 second switchover then I'd go for the garage mechanic style cover. You can get industrial quality versions of these. Anything fitted is going to take longer
I had one from ‘pet gear’ for the front seat of my sports car if a dog was riding (harnessed and fastened) up front. Was definitely a 30 second on / off.