Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

German Quality ?

BerndRos

BerndRos

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Re the content of the Oil Consumption thread..... I wonder if there is a parallel between the problems of the UK car industry of the 1970s and the German car industry now, similar but different.

It seems that they have us agreeing to pay high prices for sub standard vehicles, that then need high cost for repairs. Because we have paid for a so called premium vehicle, we then feel the need to protect our so called 'investment' in order to appease ourselves, and the decision we made.

Over the last decade or so, many have laughed at the Japanese and Far East manufacturers, is it time to take them seriously and accept the the German manufacturers are complacent ?

....meaning you won't be buying a California (again) or trying to convince others not to buy a California ?
You are warning others about German quality?
What are you trying to reach with this statement?

Nothing at all......

I have owned SO many VAG vehicles...but they are simply trading on our loyalty while taking us for fools......

Look at the Oil Consumption thread, it's hideous for a so called premium vehicle maker to expect its customers in putting right the shortcomings of their own faulty products......

They deserve to fail.

Last edited:
My famous line.... "I had an Audi once".

Had a few BMWs and finally moved away from the brand. Very good when resolving the transfer box issue on our X5, but I finally had enough with their suspension designer, Hans Ihaventgotaclue and their security consultant, Hans Noidea.

I've had new vw's since 1983 .. went through all the golf gti models there were, and now on my 2nd cali .. not one of them ever let me down or cost me more than maintenance .. keep it to one thread please berndros

I've had new vw's since 1983 .. went through all the golf gti models there were, and now on my 2nd cali .. not one of them ever let me down or cost me more than maintenance .. keep it to one thread please berndros
You Lucky then......

I have had many VAG products before and have to say I was happy with them, just as my brother in law has been happy with his 8 year old Toyota Yaris that he paid 8K for.

However, when a VW vehicle goes wrong and you have paid a premium price for it and your bound to wonder why you paid the premium price for supposed quality in the first place.

Ever since my engine issue, and what I was told by VW in Trier, Germany I have been aware that my type of engine is a dog and a known issue that they are trying to hide.

The fact that the garage that AlanC is using has replaced 3 engines this year, supports this view.

Clearly from what we now know, anyone with an EGR type ' C ' or before needs worry.

Last edited:
Clearly from what we now know, anyone with an EGR type ' C ' or before needs worry.
I agree entirely re engine issues and roof issues, with the recent emissions debacle hurting them keeping existing customers with good service should be top priority. Mercedes cocked up years ago by cutting back on panel treatments and rust protection, those customers who got hurt will probably never buy another Merc.
Regarding engines, egr, dpf problems maybe the old advice about buying a later evolution of a model is better than first off the production line new models??

Nothing at all......

I have owned SO many VAG vehicles...but they are simply trading on our loyalty while taking us for fools......

Look at the Oil Consumption thread, it's hideous for a so called premium vehicle maker to shaft its customers in putting right the shortcomings of their own faulty products......

They deserve to fail.

Also the roof problems

Amazed. The Audi I had was a dog. My sister bought an Audi on the back of mine, even though I tried to talk her out of it, and that had major problems, including the well known multitronic issue. I would have scrapped it as it wasn't worth fixing.

I talked a few out of VW and whilst I bought the Cali, I was prepared for the outcome.

On the plus side our company VW UP has been reliable. However it pulls to the right on acceleration.

I don't think many people buy German vehicles these days for their quality - it's far more about the brand and image.

Or in the case of the Cali there aren't many alternatives :(

Or in the case of the Cali there aren't many alternatives :(
Fortunately with motorbikes there are. I've switched from BMW to Honda, and I think a lot of other people will be.

VW do trade on their reputation from past years which is being eroded by their current contempt of their customers.
At my last car change I swapped a VW for a Kia. I will never ever buy a VW car ever again.
If there was a viable alternative to the California I would buy that and completely rid my life of the vile company that VW has become.

Put me down for a Volvo version of the Cali!

I can't comment on reliability. I've only owned one VW vehicle and apart from a mains-charging problem Albert has been totally fault free.

However my experience with VW customer service, my vehicle off road for 6 weeks in 2015 having what should have been a simple fix, the total, awful, arrogant, dismissive contempt by VWCS that I was subject to, I can honestly say never ever again, unless it is another Albert with no alternative being available.

Ivy experience with BMW has been exemplary, but seriously, is it worth paying a premium price these days when the also-rans are just as good?

the also-rans

The trouble is they have now caught up and are now ahead of the game in many respects.
Whats the point in paying a premium price nowadays for what is after all a consumable product.

The bitter taste of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of the cheap price is forgotten.
Can only speak as I find. :
2 BMW 3 series in the naughties which were absolute dogs.
1 Merc E Class which was the best car I have ever owned.
4 VW Golfs which were excellent cars.
Knaus Sport Traveller motorhome for ten years which was excellent.

VW should remember :" Consistency is the hallmark of success"
To err is human to forgive is not this consumers policy.

Now you know why my partner drinks!

I've had maybe about 8 VWs and generally they've been great. Sure not perfect but in general much better quality than the other makes I've dabbled with. Having said that, I have so far avoided Japanese as I just don't like the design look if them. They do sound more reliable in general.

Of the main dealers I've used, again VW have not been perfect but have been way ahead of some other big name main dealers I have used.

I've listened to some complaints about VW dealers over the years and I have to say I do sometimes think that customers can expect perfection in the cars and an unrealistic level of service on occasion. I knew someone who had a piece of trim fall off inside a VW and vowed he'd never buy VW again! The 'reliability' reputation became a curse.

Having said that I suspect a massive developing gap in the market for a really high quality independent Cali servicing agent - totally familiar with the vehicle mechanics but also the camping kit, roof and upgrades. I get great mechanical service but would quite like service checks on cooker/fridge/roof etc to minimise failure risk when touring.

I have owned three VWs. The first was a Passat, which was an excellent car. We chopped that in for a Touran which has been solid too. The third was our previous camper which was an 09 T5 with DSG. That never missed a beat. My theory is that fleet car models are the best, due to the high production volumes and the fact that the manufacturers can't afford to lose that lucrative market. Hence, Transporter should be an excellent base vehicle for a camper. However it is hard for individuals to make a rational decision because misty of us buy so few vehicles. In the case of the Cali, there aren't many alternatives

It isn't so much if it goes wrong, it's what they do about it.
I have found Audi to be poor, Mercedes pretty good and VW, well, we all know the story.

Cos Toyota have never had any issues right;)
Well, I guess they do but not the ones I had. Including company purchases and wife's - Celica 1 off, Corolla 1 off, Carina's - 3 off, Avensis 4 off, Hilux 1 off, Hiace 1 off plus 1 Lexus LS400 (still miss it) and a Lexus IS300 (that too); all reliable and - most importantly - first class dealers too. :)

Well, I guess they do but not the ones I had. Including company purchases and wife's - Celica 1 off, Corolla 1 off, Carina's - 3 off, Avensis 4 off, Hilux 1 off, Hiace 1 off plus 1 Lexus LS400 (still miss it) and a Lexus IS300 (that too); all reliable and - most importantly - first class dealers too. :)
I always liked driving Toyotas (worked for their press delivery for a while) but they had their issues brakes etc, just my tupence. My dealer has been fine but there do seem to be some monsters according to people on here.

Back