Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Getting Bikes onto VW Rack

audio2

audio2

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Just got back from latest trip to Switzerland & found lifting our bikes on & off quite difficult. This may be because I am now 76 or it could be the rack is higher than on my previous Hymer. We are considering purchasing Ebikes which are even heavier than our existing Thorn bikes. Has anyone used something like another piece of rail or guttering as a ramp?
Any other suggestions welcome, I do have a tow bar , but do use it for towing on occasion.

I have become a weightlifter since having to lift our e-bikes up onto our rack.
A ramp wouldn't be practical IMO.

Can you change to a Towbar rack instead?

If you are going for ebikes I'd suggest a towbar carrier. I have an atera 4 bike carrier that tilts, its really good.
I'm almost 50 and I'd struggle to get an ebikes on my cali rack.

Just got back from latest trip to Switzerland & found lifting our bikes on & off quite difficult. This may be because I am now 76 or it could be the rack is higher than on my previous Hymer. We are considering purchasing Ebikes which are even heavier than our existing Thorn bikes. Has anyone used something like another piece of rail or guttering as a ramp?
Any other suggestions welcome, I do have a tow bar , but do use it for towing on occasion.

I am in a similar position - aged 69 with a 22Kg eBike. What I do is get the back wheel on the bike rack runner, and roll it along whilst lifting the front of the bike up onto the rack. I couldn't possibly lift the whole bike in one go up onto the rack.

Can you get help? One person at each end of bike during attachment and removal? It's much easier that way. I was on my own in Austria in 2017 and asked a complete stranger for help - they were only too happy to oblige.
Just an idea.

My wife has a 22kg eBike also, and even many years younger and physically fit and 190cm tall I dread the moment it has to come on or off. In hindsight I would have gone for a tow bar bike rack. My own non-e-bikes are quite straightforward, but the Koga is hard work indeed.

There are a few threads on this. Tow bar mounted racks are easier to load heavy bikes on, being lower down, and still benefit from not impacting speed limits and lane restrictions in a way a trailer does. A few options out there, the key being some sort of tilting mechanism to ensure you can still open the rear tail gate. As already mentioned Atera do a range, as do others but do check the tail gate will definitely clear once titled (if thats important to you). After some research I bought the 2 bike SG2 Diamant from Pro-User and can confirm it allows the rear door to open when tilted, the cali-cap 800mm drawer still works fine and loading/unloading 2 x 25kg ebikes straightforward. Pro-user also sell aluminium channels that create a ramp to allow you to roll the bikes up onto the rack, I can’t comment on those but may be worthwhile exploring if lifting 25kg of bike shaped awkwardness to waist height doesn’t appeal!

Totally agree with a tow bar mounted rack i (expensively) had the tailgate VW 4 bike rack powder coated black and fitted but it turns out that the tailgate does not stay up when opened with just the rack on and really quite difficult to put bikes on and secure them so useless and dangerous, im now looking at tow bar mounted racks alot more usable I think...

1571149775325.jpeg Similarly the Pro-User SG2, shows 1 bike but works just the same with 2

Same SG2 with cali-cap 800mm drawer pulled out.
1571149934466.jpeg

Just to show how it works in real life fully loaded van & 2 ebikes.
1571150320649.jpeg

I know the Atera well as a friend has one and I spend time looking at it when I was researching what to buy. I wouldn't call out any significant difference in respect of how mechanically sturdy one is compared to the other and I can vouch for the SG2 solidness from autobahn blasts to rough tracks, but its clear that the difference in how the tilting system works means there are pro and cons. The Atera slide function is really very nice and reduces the amount of effort you need to put in to move a fully loaded rack from normal to tilted & vice-vera. The SG2 even with a 50kg load is not heavy par se but the pivot design does mean it needs more ‘commitment’ to lay into the tilted position and subsequently close. The swing to that roundabout is that the difference in design allows the SG2 to fold down into a very compact shape that is easy to carry and store. Ultimately both do the job very effectively, if differently. You pays your money .......

Thanks for all the responses, maybe a tow bar rack is the way to go. I was hoping that someone else had tried using a ramp from the side, so that most of the weight was supported.

Thanks for all the responses, maybe a tow bar rack is the way to go. I was hoping that someone else had tried using a ramp from the side, so that most of the weight was supported.
Lift the front wheel up and push along then the rear, it might come down to technique. For the second bike do the same then lean towards you to pass the peddle. I put two bikes on ours plus windbreak and beach chairs, The first time is a faff but its like anything you get into a routine on how stuff is stored. Which ever one you go for I hope it solves your problem.

Are you using the Pro User Diamant SG 2 Plus or just the Pro User Diamant SG 2 ?

Another vote for the Atera (Strada Evo 3).
On my T5.1, even with no bikes on and the frame up, my bootlid can be opened.
On my dad's T6 (Multivan), with no and 1 bike on, you will need to pull the frame further outwards to open the lid.
There is a 0,5 mm difference in distance between the towbar center and the edge of the bootlid making this difference.

Given the height, I cannot see a side ramp being that useful unless very long.

Guttering is relatively cheap to buy, about £4 for 2 metres at B&Q. Buy a section and see if it will work.

We are soon collecting a tandem triplet. This beast, at 24Kg, has to go on the roof. I've practiced the manoeuvre with a normal two person tandem. The only way I have found to do it is:
  1. secure the front wheel to stop it rotating 145 degrees
  2. place a plasterers step up close to the side of the van
  3. hold the tandem just above the boob tube [sic]
  4. lift the tandem and step up onto the step up
  5. lift the tandem above my head and into the wheel holders
  6. secure the tandem to the tandem carrier frame
Hell - it's a bugger of a job. And then there is the roof weight limit of 50Kg to consider:
  • solar panels 6Kg
  • 2 roof bars 5kg
  • tandem carrier 8Kg
  • tandem triplet 24Kg

Are you using the Pro User Diamant SG 2 Plus or just the Pro User Diamant SG 2 ?

The SG2 on a removable factory towbar. Bought just over a year ago. Looks like the SG2+ is new with more gap between rack and tailgate. The SG2 just clears, about 10mm to spare on a T6.

We have the SG2 rack, it folds up tiny when not in use which was a big selling point for us ! I think they have them on display at club shop if you are passing , we saw it at the open day last year.

I bought a decorators Step Up platform from Wickes and I find that I'm able to lift the electric bike onto the rear most Rail (minus battery and seat) and prop it up. Then I stand on the decorators step up and it's much easier to put the bike onto the rail closest to the back window. I hope this helps.

Back