Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Getting it wet for the first time

TomSawyer

TomSawyer

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi all,

one year into owning a California, we still haven't used the internal water tank. We've avoided it because I can see problems with algae and the likes having the system permanently wet so we've been using a separate water butt. However, the water butt takes up a lot of space and I assume most people do use the on-board water system.

We use the van about once a month during BST and about once every 2 months during GMT. What advice can you give us on filling, draining, using, venting, chlorinating (etc. etc.) the on board system.

As ever, all advice greatly appreciated.

I have recently done this for the first time...
The manual recommends some form of cleaning before use but doesn't state a product.
Many here use Milton liquid or tablets.
Others say fill/drive/drain then repeat again should be enough as our water contains chlorine.
Once the system has had water in it you have 2 choices, keep it fresh enough or go through your chosen cleaning ritual again.

Word of warning.....
Milton is very corrosive in it's undiluted form and this corrosive tendancy is reduced when diluted.
I used Milton at half the recommended dosage.
Check the waste water inspection hatch under the kitchen drawer is tight enough or your diluted milton will leak into your cupboard. But also people have had these cover split through being overtightened.
So given the chance again
I'd suggest removing the hatch, inspecting it and replacing it tightening it carefully.
Then fill the fresh water tank with just water.
Drive around
flush it through via the tap into the waste water tank checking the hatch for leaks (you will be able to see the water level through the translucent plastic).
Empty both tanks and do the same again. If you are now confident you dont have a leak why not add some milton.
Repeat once more without the milton.

Hi all,

one year into owning a California, we still haven't used the internal water tank. We've avoided it because I can see problems with algae and the likes having the system permanently wet so we've been using a separate water butt. However, the water butt takes up a lot of space and I assume most people do use the on-board water system.

We use the van about once a month during BST and about once every 2 months during GMT. What advice can you give us on filling, draining, using, venting, chlorinating (etc. etc.) the on board system.

Do not confuse Cleaning and Purification of the Water Tank.

Milton is fine, as has been mentioned, for cleaning the tank, BUT it will not purify the water. Ok the water you put in at home may be OK but elsewhere !!!!!

I have used this https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/product/katadyn-micropur-classic-water-purificationfor the last umpteen years and filled up and use the water from numerous places here and abroad and never had any problems. If the water is purified algae etc: will not be a problem, if the tank is left filled for 6 months or more, unlikely to happen in the real world, but when the tank is emptied any residue remains sterile for upto 6 + months or until it has dried out.

Glad you are considering using what is built in for your convenience, that is what it is there for.

p.s. Algae is a microscopic plant and besides needing water and nutrients it also needs sunlight. No sunlight reaches either tank, so algae growth is not a problem.

Thanks, both, for the replies. I’ll give the system a good once over before I fill it and the Katadyn fluid looks useful stuff. I’ve used their drinking water filters trekking in the past.

Hi all,

I am possibly the fussiest person alive when it comes to water but the last thing that I am afraid of is Algae in the water tank. If used and refreshed regularly it should not really be a problem but a milton tablet once every few months takes all my worries away.

I would add I use the tank for all but cold drinking water which I carry separately in a couple of 2l containers but that's my personal little,and, according to experts, totally illogical, foible.

Last edited:
Hi all,

one year into owning a California, we still haven't used the internal water tank. We've avoided it because I can see problems with algae and the likes having the system permanently wet so we've been using a separate water butt.

Do you not use the tap water at home then? drain down the pipes between uses?

Theres probably more chance of your separate water container being contaminated than the cali water system.

Do you not use the tap water at home then? drain down the pipes between uses?

Theres probably more chance of your separate water container being contaminated than the cali water system.

The water at home is in near constant use, whereas the van could be unused for long periods of time. The separate water container gets washed out and is easy to see/smell.

I'm just conscious that twice in my life, the washer bottle in the car has become rancid and needed stripping and bleaching but if no-one has had a problem, then it looks like I'm worrying for nothing.

I'm just conscious that twice in my life, the washer bottle in the car has become rancid and needed stripping and bleaching but if no-one has had a problem, then it looks like I'm worrying for nothing.

You aren't worrying for nothing, but the risk of anything harmful building up in your tank is very low. So an occasional Milton tab or similar is really all you need.

Incidentally the active ingredient in Milton tabs/fluid is sodium hypochlorite, so basically it's bleach. Which you could use instead but probably wouldn't as it might contain other chemicals

You aren't worrying for nothing, but the risk of anything harmful building up in your tank is very low. So an occasional Milton tab or similar is really all you need.

Incidentally the active ingredient in Milton tabs/fluid is sodium hypochlorite, so basically it's bleach. Which you could use instead but probably wouldn't as it might contain other chemicals
Ideal for cleaning drives, patios and decking. Sodium Hypochlorite, not Bleach. Available from your local Farm Store £12 for 25 L. and diluted 1:10 to 1:20. So easy.

Ideal for cleaning drives, patios and decking. Sodium Hypochlorite, not Bleach. Available from your local Farm Store £12 for 25 L. and diluted 1:10 to 1:20. So easy.

Having spent £65k on a van, I can probably stretch to Milton tablets ;) but thanks for the reply.

I have always used Puriclean for all my water container cleaning - aqua rolls when Caravanning and water bottles and tanks for the van. It’s readily available from camping shops or online. After 20 years, still here!

Had my Cali ten years now, and have given up using stuff like Milton - mainly because I'm a very light sleeper with a very acute sense of smell, and can't stand the smell of Milton! I just make sure I drain and rinse through the whole system if I'm not going to use the van for a few weeks. I'm still alive! The only problem I do find is that if you don't drain off the waste tank for a while, it gets a sort of airlock, and - unfortunately - the only solution is to crawl under and suck it through! Again - still alive!

Thanks all. I probably should be worried about the health aspects, but I’m actually more worried about making our precious van stinky or having to do some intrusive maintenance to put things right. We will probably only use it to fill the kettle anyway so it will be boiled.

Sounds like a regular use/draining when not and period disinfecting will keep it healthy.

Do not use Milton use Puriclean

• Agree
Reactions: Sad
I’ve been resisting posting, but feel compelled to offer my experience.

What problem can occur in a freshwater system filled with tap water?

I drain mine after each trip and fill with fresh before each trip. I don’t fancy drinking or smelling dilute bleach (or sodium hypochlorite solution).

Still here after 20 yrs of camping/campervanning

I’ve been resisting posting, but feel compelled to offer my experience.

What problem can occur in a freshwater system filled with tap water?

I drain mine after each trip and fill with fresh before each trip. I don’t fancy drinking or smelling dilute bleach (or sodium hypochlorite solution).

Still here after 20 yrs of camping/campervanning
Same here we've had ours 8 years now and I've done the same - just fill and drain, I've never treated the tank.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Back