Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Getting worried !!

P

PaulS.

Worried......so getting off mi chest.
2011 Cali
-Door dropped off hinge due to nut coming off, gouged bodywork .....warranty - to be done altough initial repairs by VW Pevensey and VW Tonbridge saying they should complete work not them???! Confused so phone calls today!!
-Right front drive shaft corrosion .....warranty - booked in next Fri to be done!
-Paintwork blistering above front drivers side door roof and on roof itself.......warranty I presuming.
Warranty runs out in July 2014!!
Shiteing it re future costs..... :x
Just spent £200 on a service :headbang and will be spending around £500 next week on two new tyres (20,000miles) / brake pads BUT things seem to be starting to go wrong! :sad
We love the thing but doubts and regrets starting to seep into mi ed :smile :censor Especially as warranty expry date looming.
BUT
We've had the best times as a family together in the thing away for weeks at a time and day trips all over the place.
sing and shite (excuse the language due to exasperation/frustration!!)
Paul

Is there not an option to extend the warranty? (though this doesn't really solve the issue)

Extended warranties are complete rips off and are insurance, not warranties.

Paul - new steering column, rear diff and roof re-painted - I share your nervousness!

KernowLad said:

Paul - new steering column, rear diff and roof re-painted - I share your nervousness!

I seem to recall a reasonably offensive rant from you not too long ago where you said that cali owners who were worried about out of warranty repairs shouldn't buy them if they can't afford to run them.

Maybe I imagined it :-?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Oh my......

The things that come back to haunt us.......

Freeley said:
KernowLad said:

I seem to recall a reasonably offensive rant from you not too long ago where you said that cali owners who were worried about out of warranty repairs shouldn't buy them if they can't afford to run them.

i too remember that

James

Freeley said:
KernowLad said:

Yes it does seem a few of you are rather sensitive little souls that seem to forget how often you have digs at me.

Yes, you should be able to cover the general running but when things are going so expensively wrong for many, it becomes too risky. Some cars (which should be VW) are fairly safe outside warranty, some absolutely must have some sort of cover. I try and avoid the latter.

£500 for a pair of new tyres? Get onto Camskill and then find a local fitter.

Just re-reading your concerns......

Anything you run will cost you in wear and tare, unless there is more going wrong than you have listed I don't think there is anything excessive. If you were running a Discovery, Defender or a high performance car you would be throwing money at them - literally.

Servicing and extended warranties for any Audi RS or BMW M run into 4 figures with similar sums for tyres and we are talking 10k miles not 20. I ran a disco for a while, and used it extensively off road, munched a set of wheel bearings in short order and that cost me a £1000 and pumped over £3000 into it servicing it and putting tyres on it.

I understand that the above is not relevant to you directly but as with the above vehicles you are driving a car that is more than point to point transport, it is a vehicle that gets properly used. Yes, a Golf 2.0 diesel will cost little to run however you can't cook a meal and sleep in it!

The one killer blow that a California has over most other cars is the residual value. The high resale values of these cars will ultimately cancel out apparent excessive day to day running.

Running a car outside of warranty has only become an issue since the rise of Internet user forums and car warranty companies.....any money lost through reliability is always eclipsed by the 30/40% lost capital come resale time. Work out the cost of selling and re- purchasing compared to a service, set of brakes and some tyres and suddenly things look like good value!

A good solution would be to set up a Cali running costs account.....set aside an amount each month, let it build to a certain level (twice the average it has cost you to run and service so far) and then maintain it at that level....your worry levels should then be reduced.

Sell it, your worries will have gone but you will be without your family fun passion wagon and you will be out buying another one.....a damn site more than £300 on a set of tyres!

Just my two pence, not meant to upset or incense.

Back