Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ghost fitted on T6.1?

Gelato

Gelato

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Our first ever California (T6.1) is now in the UK and on its way to the dealer at last. We go away next week probably without our California (dealer says VED/TAX is a slow process to sort out). We are thinking of having the 'Ghost' immobiliser and tracker fitted. Wondered if anyone had this installed in a T6.1, think someone had a problem with theirs, something to do with the software/new model. Just wondered with it being a new model and lots more electronic' gizmos if this has caused any problems?

I had the problem, as it's a new model the fitter didn't know if they had the correct software for the Ghost, in the end the fitter used the software for a VW Polo and since then it has worked perfectly. Apparently this is a common problem with new model vehicles i.e. working out which software to upload to the Ghost.

I had the problem, as it's a new model the fitter didn't know if they had the correct software for the Ghost, in the end the fitter used the software for a VW Polo and since then it has worked perfectly. Apparently this is a common problem with new model vehicles i.e. working out which software to upload to the Ghost.
Thanks, that is great to know :)

Regarding the vehicle registration, dealer posted ours on Friday 10th July and it was taxed the following Saturday (8 days), so there may be hope!

Thanks, dealer hasn't received the vehicle yet and we go next Thursday and have a tow bar to be fitted so not sure it will happen. But interesting how long it took your dealer! Think I will contact him tomorrow and see if he has received it yet!

Rather than starting a new thread, thought I'd comment on one similar to the thoughts we are having!

We pick up our new Ocean very soon and are considering security options.
We've been told by dealer that the new immobilisers as standard fit, are Thatcham approved..... but not convinced - any views?
We've looked at the Ghost system and like the look of it but wonder if the software issue highlighted above (last year) has been overcome yet? Anyone any experience of a Ghost system being fitted to a 6.1 more recently??
Our only worry with Ghost is how easy is it/how much hassle is involved each time you start the vehicle? Is it just a pin code via the dash/radio system or is there more?
We also wondered if anyone has been offered any recent discounts on premiums from any insurers for the Ghost system.... tbh we'd only consider a Tracker if it gave us an addition discount on the premium.
Has anyone had any discounts on insurance premiums with any vehicle Tracking systems in situ recently, such as the the Vodafone S5 system which VW are offering to fit at extra cost?

Thanks

Rather than starting a new thread, thought I'd comment on one similar to the thoughts we are having!

We pick up our new Ocean very soon and are considering security options.
We've been told by dealer that the new immobilisers as standard fit, are Thatcham approved..... but not convinced - any views?
We've looked at the Ghost system and like the look of it but wonder if the software issue highlighted above (last year) has been overcome yet? Anyone any experience of a Ghost system being fitted to a 6.1 more recently??
Our only worry with Ghost is how easy is it/how much hassle is involved each time you start the vehicle? Is it just a pin code via the dash/radio system or is there more?
We also wondered if anyone has been offered any recent discounts on premiums from any insurers for the Ghost system.... tbh we'd only consider a Tracker if it gave us an addition discount on the premium.
Has anyone had any discounts on insurance premiums with any vehicle Tracking systems in situ recently, such as the the Vodafone S5 system which VW are offering to fit at extra cost?

Thanks
The immobiliser and alarm as fitted to the California is approved by Thatcham Security. You can check on the Thatcham website. All the details are there.

As WG says the factory fitted alarm/immobiliser is Thatcham approved and it seems that is enough for most insurers.
A very cheap but effective tracker (not approved by insurers as far as i know) is the Vodafone Curve. £20 plus £2 per month.
The WeConnect App will also notify you of attempted break-ins and will show you the van’s parked position on a map.

Hi all

So what’s the consensus please? Fit Ghost and Tracker or just Ghost? Going on a trip abroad and Ghost appeals in order to stop opportunists from stealing our T6 in the first place whilst we’re on walk about.

But, given the determination of proper ‘crims’ these days might it not make a bad domestic situation worse if having broken into my house and taken the keys the nefarious so and so’s can’t get off my drive with our van without my help? From what I’ve read about trackers, by the time the police get to the scene, it almost invariably too late.

Cheers

Taff T

I would have a read of the thread titled

"NIGHTMARE DAY WITH DODGY DEALER, GHOST AND BROKEN CALIFORNIA"

before deciding whether to fit one or not.

Hi all

So what’s the consensus please? Fit Ghost and Tracker or just Ghost? Going on a trip abroad and Ghost appeals in order to stop opportunists from stealing our T6 in the first place whilst we’re on walk about.

But, given the determination of proper ‘crims’ these days might it not make a bad domestic situation worse if having broken into my house and taken the keys the nefarious so and so’s can’t get off my drive with our van without my help? From what I’ve read about trackers, by the time the police get to the scene, it almost invariably too late.

Cheers

Taff T
Lots of Ghost chat on here and the T6 Forum too.

No experience of it, but plenty of opinions from both plaudits and detractors.

Hi all

Cheers

Taff T
I wouldn’t bother with either, but that’s just me.

Perhaps better to ask how many on the forum have had their vans stolen, did the thief overcome the standard van security or did the keys get stolen?

Tracker - will tell what you already know, your van has been stolen. The cost of fitting / subscription will most likely exceed the cost of any insurance discount. So what is the actual benefit to you?

Ghost - 3rd party electronics that prevent the van from being started. Could be an inconvenience if it were to go wrong especially when overseas.

I fitted a Ghost on my T6 Beach in the autumn 21 - initially it failed because the wrong software but has been fine since. It takes a few seconds to disarm it each time you start the vehicle and after 4 months on the odd occasion i still forget to go through the code process - and i do find that a bit tedious. But i am pretty tuned in now and happy with the extra assurance.

It will stop a chancer starting the vehicle with / without a key. I am having building work and have to park away from the house so have upped the security after a number of local incidents / attempts at theft.

Thanks for all the replies …I now need to give this more thought as would be pretty catastrophic if it failed when in our jollys

Thanks for all the replies …I now need to give this more thought as would be pretty catastrophic if it failed when in our jollys
Check what provision there is for support overseas.
Because if you have an engine problem VW would, I expect, refuse to be involved until it is removed and any Travel Insurance may not be interested either. Just saying.

If you've got a T6.1 the WeConnect+ service works pretty well as a tracker and as an alert to the alarm.

It would require the thief to go through all the menus & put it into stealth mode to turn it off.

I jacked up my van last week whilst locked & it took about 30 seconds from the alarm starting to me receiving a text that said that the van was being interfered with.

For EU Tracking cover there would be extra SIM charges and questionable Police response.
Satellite system for full reception in remote areas.

Would need careful checking out as most are UK based as standard.

If you've got a T6.1 the WeConnect+ service works pretty well as a tracker and as an alert to the alarm.

It would require the thief to go through all the menus & put it into stealth mode to turn it off.

I jacked up my van last week whilst locked & it took about 30 seconds from the alarm starting to me receiving a text that said that the van was being interfered with.
Yes, I unplugged my bike rack recently when the Cali was locked. Alarm went off and I received a WeConnect text advising me. So pretty good.

And for those that don't, a couple of these secreted in the cabin could work very well for very little outlay

Or the Vodafone Curve. Low cost to buy and then £2 per month. Very small, so it can be easily hidden. Can be hardwired. Has real time tracking mode. Position of vehicle on a map. Reliable.

Last edited:
had a few performance cars before the cali and read ghost can be bypassed so im going to go with theftstop , mechanical device but good all the same

had a few performance cars before the cali and read ghost can be bypassed so im going to go with theftstop , mechanical device but good all the same

Sounds like typical bloke down the pub chatter.

IMO, trackers are a total waste of time. Once it’s gone, it’s gone. Better off preventing it going anywhere in the first place…
Had mine about 3 years, no issues to report so far.

Some great advice received as usual and thanks to all concerned. I live in Cheshire and would welcome a recommendation for the installation of the Ghost kit by a local outfit if one exists.

At the moment I’m in contact with an outfit that I’ve googled who claim to have national coverage, are TASSA approved and can come to our house.

Cheers

Taff T

Anything can be found and disabled given the knowledge and the time to do it.

If the Ghost is installed correctly, it is a lot harder to find than a tracker and it can't be blocked.

cant recall it being pub chatter but on a previous forum i was on but there's ghost 2 now so probably sorted any issue with original ghost , although not a expert myself but would like to add the pubs ive been to nobody ever mentioned stealing a california , they certainly wouldn't steal mine for the headlights