Glenridding and Helvellyn

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Having cancelled a previous trip to Glenridding due to poor weather, I am planning to return next weekend to climb Helvellyn with my seven year old son. All campsites around Glenridding appear to be fully booked for next weekend. The Glenridding car park allows overnight parking (as do all Lake District car parks), but bylaw prohibits staying in the van overnight (I suppose overnight parking is allowed for backpackers which is fair enough).

As a last resort we could overnight at Tebay Services, and drive to Glenridding first thing on Saturday, but can anyone suggest a better alternative?

Tebay Services is the best in the UK innit?
Thats a perfect first nighter.

Tebay Services is the best in the UK innit?
Thats a perfect first nighter.

We will only be away two nights, and rather than the perfect first nighter, I think of it as the least worst option.

For our second night I’m thinking of somewhere remote like the end of the road in Martindale.

We stayed in Patterdale, it was a great wet muddy was back
from the top, cant remember much, only that i went dizzy up on
striding edge. Lol.
@flying banana might have a tip.

Good luck Tom. We holidayed in the Lakes year after year when we used to live in the UK, even honeymooned just outside Keswick. I hope your son enjoys the hike. That is truly the stuff that makes real memories. Are you going to take him over Striding Edge? He would NEVER forget that and neither would you!

Good luck Tom. We holidayed in the Lakes year after year when we used to live in the UK, even honeymooned just outside Keswick. I hope your son enjoys the hike. That is truly the stuff that makes real memories. Are you going to take him over Striding Edge? He would NEVER forget that and neither would you!

I’m very familiar with Striding Edge, and will never forget my first ascent. We are not yet at the stage of going to places I am unfamiliar with, but if this goes well, Snowdon via Crib Goch will be our next adventure, and I’ve only ever done that as a descent.

I’m very familiar with Striding Edge, and will never forget my first ascent. We are not yet at the stage of going to places I am unfamiliar with, but if this goes well, Snowdon via Crib Goch will be our next adventure, and I’ve only ever done that as a descent.
Snowdon via Crib Goch was my first ever mountain experience. It was with my dad and a work buddy of his when I must have been early teens. We camped somewhere in the valley and it was freezing. The next day was really sunny and amazing. My dad I reckon had a dozen heart attacks watching me scale the short scrambles up Crib Goch. I loved it and ever since I have adored being in the mountains. So much so that now I live in the Swiss Alps and every time we go out it feels like holiday heaven.

Enjoy your time together, it goes so fast!

I believe aria force car park allows overnight now for a tenner and toilet facilities. You could then get the boat or bus to glen ridding from there to do helvellyn. Also the sun inn at pooley bridge . The bus runs pretty regular. Every 30 minutes I seem to remember. If you want to avoid striding edge take the route up greenside mine and go over the summit of raise first. Campsite wise have you tried side farm at patterdale? Or gillside in glenridding?

I believe aria force car park allows overnight now for a tenner and toilet facilities. You could then get the boat or bus to glen ridding from there to do helvellyn. Also the sun inn at pooley bridge . The bus runs pretty regular. Every 30 minutes I seem to remember. If you want to avoid striding edge take the route up greenside mine and go over the summit of raise first. Campsite wise have you tried side farm at patterdale? Or gillside in glenridding?

Gillside was my #1 choice. I had a very curt reply, “all weekends fully booked until July”.

Striding Edge is the whole point of the trip - first easy scramble for Ben. If all goes well, Crib Goch and Tryfan beckon.

Aria Force looks interesting. We could cycle to Glenridding from there.

The Side Farm website says it is still closed, but I might phone anyway.

Thanks - some useful ideas.

If you haven't already tried it, Park Foot Site just outside Pooley Bridge is rarely full (because it's huge). That'll be about 12 miles alondg the Ullswater road to the car park for your climb. Just a thought.
Good luck.

If you haven't already tried it, Park Foot Site just outside Pooley Bridge is rarely full (because it's huge). That'll be about 12 miles alondg the Ullswater road to the car park for your climb. Just a thought.
Good luck.

All fields, electric/non electric, grass or hard standing, all fully booked for 11/12 June!

Hey there, I’m relative new to the world of Cali’s and this forum (I just picked up a new Ocean in the last couple of weeks), so Hi! but I know the Lakes quite well and have done my fair share of camping in the area. As a bit of an out of the way suggestion I would put forward Bay Brown campsite as they operate on a first come first serve policy (well they did pre-COVID)? It’s fairly basic and informal but in a nice setting in the langdale valley. There is a bit of trip into Glenridding for the start of your hike which sounds cool. My son has only just turned 4 so I may have to contain my enthusiasm a little longer :) https://baysbrownfarmcampsite.co.uk/booking.html

Waterside house. Pooley bridge? That's a big site too. Also 10 quid a night behind the sun inn? Pooley bridge. I always find Friday and Saturday nights the worst to get a spot. After that it always quietens off. The royal hotel in dock ray allows pub stopovers too. Another option are the campsites on the other side at thirlmere. You could summit helvellyn over lower man. Drop down swirral edge to red tarn. Then return over striding edge. Its alot quieter that side so more likely to get in. Try stybeck farm. High bridge end farm. Thirlspot farm

I’m getting tired of finding so many places fully booked, but have time on Tuesday to make a few phone calls.

We cannot leave SE London until 2.15 at the earliest on Friday so won’t arrive until 8pm which is a little late to risk a first come first serve campsite.

Tebay overnight on Friday, an early drive to Glenridding car park to be sure of a space, then after Helvellyn a wild camp in a remote valley such as Martindale on Saturday night doesn’t seem too bad. We might even bag High Street on Sunday morning.

I’m getting tired of finding so many places fully booked, but have time on Tuesday to make a few phone calls.

We cannot leave SE London until 2.15 at the earliest on Friday so won’t arrive until 8pm which is a little late to risk a first come first serve campsite.

Tebay overnight on Friday, an early drive to Glenridding car park to be sure of a space, then after Helvellyn a wild camp in a remote valley such as Martindale on Saturday night doesn’t seem too bad. We might even bag High Street on Sunday morning.
I don't know if this is any good but Braithwaite Fold Car Park and Rayrigg Road Carpark are now allowing overnight sleeping according to their website updated on 2 June.

I don't know if this is any good but Braithwaite Fold Car Park and Rayrigg Road Carpark are now allowing overnight sleeping according to their website updated on 2 June.

That would work, and just a 30m drive from Glenridding.

===QUOTE===

Motorhome overnight parking

There is a separate fee of £10.00 which is chargeable from 8pm until 7am. Three and seven day passes do not suffice for the overnight charge, the separate overnight fee must be paid.

Owners can then stay in their motorhomes overnight but must move on first thing. Motorhome users must not erect any temporary structures for example awnings.

Civil Enforcement Officers will carry out checks every morning to ensure compliancy.

We will continue to monitor and review throughout the season.

===/QUOTE===

Waterside house. Pooley bridge? That's a big site too. Also 10 quid a night behind the sun inn? Pooley bridge. I always find Friday and Saturday nights the worst to get a spot. After that it always quietens off. The royal hotel in dock ray allows pub stopovers too. Another option are the campsites on the other side at thirlmere. You could summit helvellyn over lower man. Drop down swirral edge to red tarn. Then return over striding edge. Its alot quieter that side so more likely to get in. Try stybeck farm. High bridge end farm. Thirlspot farm
Field at back of Sun Inn is now £20 I think.
Drove past today. Still looked v busy.

Hi
The option of using either Braithwaite Fold or Rayrigg for your first night is probably the best plan if not ideal.

These car parks are operated by South Lakeland District Council who have wisely opened up the option of overnight stops.

I can offer the following comments based upon my location, current participation in managing visitors to the LDNP and as a qualified mountain leader based in the lakes.

All 'fly camping, camper van and great white activity is monitored every night by the multi agency patrols. After a horrendous summer in 2020 the N Park and other stakeholder agencies were on the front foot for 2021. The aim is to provide a good visitor experience; 'what you can do'. The message is 'leave no trace..' All known 'fly camping' locations are visited each day/night by one of the multi agency patrols to ensure compliance with regulations and landowners wishes. Martindale was gridlocked last weekend, as was most of the lakes.

Glenridding Car Park will be on 'Amber' by 08.30 and 'red's (full) by 09.00. Refer ro Saferlakes at Lakedisrict.gov.uk for up to minute information on car park availability. My tactic is to be parked by 07.00 or 07.30 and get going. On a route like Striding Edge you will probably have other people with you, but very few compared to the procession of ants that complete the traverse later in the day. In the car park i try to get a space parallel to the kerb on the ramp between lower and upper sections; avoid the trees at all costs as the birds will bomb you with white stuff! If you start early then the flesh pots are all open on your return (and incredibly busy and slow due to a County wide staffing crisis) and you will have time to visit and arrange a campsite in the afternoon.

Lake District National Park policy is that people do come and enjoy their park...appropriately. You will meet volunteer Visitor Support people on duty in all big car parks and hot spots. They have up to minute briefings from Safer Lakes and the Multi Agency response teams via WhatsApp. Visitor Support presence is so that the public can talk to a knowledgeable local person about activities, facilities and alternatives.

No apology about the length here. A week last Sunday saw the busiest every day in the Lakes. Valleys in grid lock, no car parking whatsoever in Central and fringe lakes, accidents and a tiny proportion of unfortunate behaviour and activity. The Park is being overwhelmed currently; staff and volunteers are present to welcome and help. However, the infrastructure has nothing like the capacity for current demand.

Start nice and early, have a great day, and stay safe.

If you find a parking spot anywhere in the lakes. Grab it.
You'll never find another.

Don’t park in front of a farmers gate.

Last edited:
Having cancelled a previous trip to Glenridding due to poor weather, I am planning to return next weekend to climb Helvellyn with my seven year old son. All campsites around Glenridding appear to be fully booked for next weekend. The Glenridding car park allows overnight parking (as do all Lake District car parks), but bylaw prohibits staying in the van overnight (I suppose overnight parking is allowed for backpackers which is fair enough).

As a last resort we could overnight at Tebay Services, and drive to Glenridding first thing on Saturday, but can anyone suggest a better alternative?
Long shot: I learned to sail at the sailing club 40 years ago! They were very friendly and may be open to you parking on their site behind the hotel, particularly if you hire a boat/have a lesson with them

Hi
The option of using either Braithwaite Fold or Rayrigg for your first night is probably the best plan if not ideal.

These car parks are operated by South Lakeland District Council who have wisely opened up the option of overnight stops.

I can offer the following comments based upon my location, current participation in managing visitors to the LDNP and as a qualified mountain leader based in the lakes.

All 'fly camping, camper van and great white activity is monitored every night by the multi agency patrols. After a horrendous summer in 2020 the N Park and other stakeholder agencies were on the front foot for 2021. The aim is to provide a good visitor experience; 'what you can do'. The message is 'leave no trace..' All known 'fly camping' locations are visited each day/night by one of the multi agency patrols to ensure compliance with regulations and landowners wishes. Martindale was gridlocked last weekend, as was most of the lakes.

Glenridding Car Park will be on 'Amber' by 08.30 and 'red's (full) by 09.00. Refer ro Saferlakes at Lakedisrict.gov.uk for up to minute information on car park availability. My tactic is to be parked by 07.00 or 07.30 and get going. On a route like Striding Edge you will probably have other people with you, but very few compared to the procession of ants that complete the traverse later in the day. In the car park i try to get a space parallel to the kerb on the ramp between lower and upper sections; avoid the trees at all costs as the birds will bomb you with white stuff! If you start early then the flesh pots are all open on your return (and incredibly busy and slow due to a County wide staffing crisis) and you will have time to visit and arrange a campsite in the afternoon.

Lake District National Park policy is that people do come and enjoy their park...appropriately. You will meet volunteer Visitor Support people on duty in all big car parks and hot spots. They have up to minute briefings from Safer Lakes and the Multi Agency response teams via WhatsApp. Visitor Support presence is so that the public can talk to a knowledgeable local person about activities, facilities and alternatives.

No apology about the length here. A week last Sunday saw the busiest every day in the Lakes. Valleys in grid lock, no car parking whatsoever in Central and fringe lakes, accidents and a tiny proportion of unfortunate behaviour and activity. The Park is being overwhelmed currently; staff and volunteers are present to welcome and help. However, the infrastructure has nothing like the capacity for current demand.

Start nice and early, have a great day, and stay safe.
Useful intel. Thanks.

So plan amended again.

Friday night at Tebay (I hope it won’t be full at 8pm!)

6.30am Saturday, quick breakfast, then Glenridding Car Park

7.30am Helvellyn Horseshoe (Striding Edge, Swirral Edge)

3pm Try to bag a spot at Rayrigg.

Sunday Maybe High Street

Thanks to everyone for their help and advice. I had no idea the Lake District would be so busy during a term time weekend. Thanks especially for the PM detailing discreet wild camping spots in the quieter Shap area of the Lakes and the PM offering a driveway space just to the south of the Lake District.