Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

glow plugs

D

darkstar

Vehicle
T4 Hightop
Evening folks
I've got a 92 2.4d, was wondering if any of you with the same van have had the misfortune to do a glow plug replacement. The van doesn't start and the rac told me there was an issue with the glow plugs but he said they were a bit tricky to get to! UNDERSTATEMENT! After extensive foul language yesterday i've managed to get 4 of them out but the last one (the furthest right ) seems impossible. anyone got any tips?
cheers all

Why do you think the starting issue is glow plugs? Have you checked the relay that controls them? Have you checked the glow plug fuse? Have you checked they do/don’t get hot when you power them up? I’d do this before I start removing them.

yeah sidepod, the rac checked the voltage and I'm guessing as the yellow glow plug indicator on the dash works then the relay and fuse must be good

yeah sidepod, the rac checked the voltage and I'm guessing as the yellow glow plug indicator on the dash works then the relay and fuse must be good

Have you checked out @sidepod’s thread on injector diagnosis? It’s here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah yes. I forgot about the fuel cut off solenoid!

Thing is Darkstar, the chances of all 5 glow plugs failing at once are zero.

The motor would splutter into life with three or four glow plugs.

If it’s completely dead then it’s something common to all cylinders ie glow plug relay or fuel.
These 2.4s are proper old school simple.

thanks for the link, I will check it out tonight. yeah sidepod totally agree regarding the amount, fingers crossed the one that's staying in is not cooked

Back