Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Going to buy a new T6 ocean...but lots of Qs

Q

qw12as

So, I know this is something that has probably been answered a load of times, but there are some peculiarities :)

1) I have a normal 4x4 i want to trade in PLUS I have a 1984 VW Westfalia T25 (which i am bored of fixing on the roadside with kids screaming inside and knowing lots of the RAC folk by first name!) - i want to find a dealership that will part ex both - thoughts and i don't want to sell her privately and have all the hassle of tyre kickers and haggling - we have all been there eh ??? :)
2) Which engine - i want something with some poke and thought the top of the range 204 4motion DSG would be the best idea, again, but is it worth the extra 9k?
3) Colours - are there colours that hold their value better than others?
4) Must have options - again, looking at resale value - what factory fitted options do i need to get at time of ordering
5) lead times - how long are we looking at
6) is there a list of dealerships that deal with cali's - i have now found out the local one in Ashford kent doesnt deal with them...

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Welcome.
All valid questions, many answers will be personal opinions, and no doubt start a few discussions.

1) Part-ex the T25? I would have thought most dealers would offer peanuts. I know my T5 Caravelle the dealer recommended a private sale as he admitted they would under value it. May be worth the effort of trying a private sale.

2) The 150 is plenty for me, but it is a Beach, so less weight.

3) Really not sure on colours. It's the one you have to live with, so that may be more important.

4) Personally DSG has been a revelation, especially with Adaptive Cruise Control - Mrs S even used (and liked) it this weekend. The LED lights seem to be a lot better than the standard headlights - I couldn't stretch that far. Many Beach options are standard on the Ocean, so my choices would not match...

5) Months - can be up over six-months

6) I'm too far North for you!

Good hunting.

6) is there a list of dealerships that deal with cali's - i have now found out the local one in Ashford kent doesnt deal with them...
Dealerships vary in the quality of advice. Dartford is rubbish, SMG Tonbridge is excellent; it is worth travelling to a good dealer.

Yep, SMG Tonbridge is a good place to buy your Cali. They weren't really interested in a P/ex in my case though i didn't push it. Possibly the long Cali lead times complicates P/ex values.

California's are sold through the VW commercial dealer network so look for one of those.

First off, welcome - the good news is you've found the right place for the info.

The colours / options / engine / spec questions come up very regularly, so I don't think you'll get too many takers - do have a look through old posts & try the search box.

Dealers are generally useless, but occasionally excellent & a good one is worth traveling to. You should go & have a drive / sit in a demo before making any decisions, the answers to your questions are subjective & few people have experience of more than one variant of each generation.

Possibly the long Cali lead times complicates P/ex values
Any decent dealer should be able to deal with this. I traded in a volvo estate as part of a 9 month lead-time deal on an XC90. I estimated the additional mileage that I expected to do and the dealer offered me a guaranteed PEX value based upon that mileage. I was within 200 miles when the XC90 turned up so we were all happy.

Yep, SMG Tonbridge is a good place to buy your Cali. They weren't really interested in a P/ex in my case though i didn't push it. Possibly the long Cali lead times complicates P/ex values.
They offered me a part exchange, weren't that bothered, so I put the vehicle up for sale on AutoTrader and sold it for £800 more than the part exchange offer the night before I collected The Mustard Pot.

So, I know this is something that has probably been answered a load of times, but there are some peculiarities :)

1) I have a normal 4x4 i want to trade in PLUS I have a 1984 VW Westfalia T25 (which i am bored of fixing on the roadside with kids screaming inside and knowing lots of the RAC folk by first name!) - i want to find a dealership that will part ex both - thoughts and i don't want to sell her privately and have all the hassle of tyre kickers and haggling - we have all been there eh ??? :)
2) Which engine - i want something with some poke and thought the top of the range 204 4motion DSG would be the best idea, again, but is it worth the extra 9k?
4) Must have options - again, looking at resale value - what factory fitted options do i need to get at time of ordering

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Chris,

Been through almost the same process as you and strangely live in Kent too , near Ashford .

1) much better discount to get if you sell privately , I ended up with about 10%
2) on a big spend like this , if you can stretch to it go for the bigger engine , I don't think you will ever regret having more power , extra fuel costs are not so great if one thinks about the total money spent . That said I'm renting at the moment whilst I wait for my Cali on order a 150 and is very good , almost enough power in every situation. If you like me want to travel everywhere you can in it again the 4x4 will give that extra security and safety , for me that means in the arctic tundra.
3) look at the surveys on this site and the stories who sold what colour how quickly , white is a great choice if you like white
4) I've gone for all the practical options , so ACC and Sat and DSG is a must , Hill descent , etc . If there is anything that doesn't really improve performance or practically I didn't go for . So no special alloys for 800 extra or paint finish .
5 ) ordered in Nov and still have no confirmed del date So who knows , 2000£ deposit given too
6) various options in the South yet to see if my choice is great or not

Hope this helps you in some way, suggest you also do like I've done and rent for a while , I'm using
Kamper Hire and got a nice Cali from them and good service plus a sensible price

Your T25 will sell for a much better price if you sell privately, the dealer wont be remotely interested as he can't put it on the forecourt and won’t have a clue as to its value.

I’m sure you are aware that they have a very loyal following, so have a look on FB as there a a few groups set up purely for them, that would be a good place to advertise it for sale. Yes, selling a vehicle is weary, but look at it this way, you won’t be doing it again for a while!!

As others have said, unless you want to be put off from ever buying a Cali, don’t go to Dartford, they are worse than useless. Tonbridge or SMG Cowfold are your best bet, Good luck!

Thanks in advance.

Chris
thanks everyone for their advice so far...possibly going to rent for the ester holidays and see how that goes :) cheers again guys.

Colours - are there colours that hold their value better than others?

I think it depends on how long you're going to keep your van: car colour is basically about fashion and goes in cycles. I remember when white was considered deeply naff (you may as well have worn white socks), then a few years ago it shot back into vogue. It will drop off again in a few years, probably.

Silver was very fashionable a few years ago (most popular car colour 2000-2008 according to SMTT), now down into sixth place.

So unless you're planning to sell again within a couple of years I'd just choose the colour you most like (whether fashionable now or not).

I agree - its more important to have a colour you like and plan to enjoy the Cali than to worry too much about resale - the only tip I have is to avoid any deeply fashionable colours that may date - but most of the VW colours are fairly safe I would suggest. :happy

Back