Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Golf Clubs on bike rack ? ?

Bill R

Bill R

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
While I wait for my new Cali, I find myself going over the different types of holiday we will enjoy as Cali users.
One example is, maybe a few weeks in Europe, so a well laden van with all the essentials for such a trip but made more complicated by my desire to take my golf clubs along.
Clearly taking up so much room inside with these isn't a great idea and I'd like to avoid roof boxes, although I do have one, plus I won't have a tow bar or wish to tow a trailer.
My first thought was getting a hard cased golf bag carrier, usually used for taking them in the hold of a plane and strapping this horizontally on the rear mounted bike rack along with my bike.
Has anyone done this ? Or are there any opinions making it a bad idea ? Or, any other solutions that any golfing Cali owners have previously thought of ?
Blimey I'm already obsessed with this vehicle and I haven't even got it yet
Cheers all
Bill

There are soft bags and hard cases you can mount on the bike rack.
Sure there are some pictures to find on this forum , have a look in the "bike rack " section

Yes, like motel california said. A back box is what you´d need, fill it with all
the easily replaced stuff and keep your golf sticks in the van.

Hi
If you are buying an ocean then carrying golf clubs is a bit of a pain as the woods are too wide for the boot although they will slide alongside the units under the bench seat
We take ours in a roof box
having said that we carry all sorts on the bike rack especially for scout events like archery targets numerous tents tables benches etc
As long as its secured
Dave and lisa

We’ve recently bought an Ocean and would like to carry to half sets of golf clubs in a roof box, presumably to still elevate the roof we would take the clubs out to store in the van at night? What size roof box do you have or would recommend.

We’ve recently bought an Ocean and would like to carry to half sets of golf clubs in a roof box, presumably to still elevate the roof we would take the clubs out to store in the van at night? What size roof box do you have or would recommend.
Mount the box more to the rear and you will be fine leaving the golf set in the roof box. What will be the weight of them sets?

There are many numbers floating around on the weight that the roof can support. I think the recommended is 50 kgs raised and 100 kg when lowered. The further back you mount/store, the less the pressure on the lifting struts and so the more you should be able to load.

Two golf sets would definitely be much less than 50 kgs.

I think the recommended is 50 kgs raised and 100 kg when lowered.
Current numbers from VW are 50kg max when lowered and Zero when raised.
I think it’s been that since T5.1 days.

We always travel with golf clubs. The woods go in the long slot on the side of the bench seat, and we put 2 golf bags and two folding trolleys on the rear shelf with the wheels removed which go in the rear cupboard, then put bags with bedding and other stuff on top of the golf bags. Plenty of room. We always sleep up top though - this packing arrangement would be a pain if you wanted to use the rear bed.