Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Good old fashioned maps of Europe

Billylou

Billylou

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
Most of the forum searches bring up threads about Google Maps (I'm running scared of the Search Police) so I thought I'd ask the question. I enjoy staring at a map laid out on the kitchen table rather than looking online and will start hunting for some good old folding maps over the next few days specifically for Eastern France, Northern Italy and the Peloponnese. So does anyone else share my fondness for a good old folding map and if so which would ones would they recommend, specifically for the regions mentioned above? Thanks

Perfectos

Perfectos

VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
AA seem decent, I have a U.K. and France, but this covers the wider areas you expressed an interest in

D3EA6C50-DD43-4777-9088-2A3871DC4785.jpeg

V

Vagophile

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Couldn't agree with you more.
For France, in my view you can't do better than Monsieur Michelin.
I bought the "Atlas Routier et Touristique" in Auchan Calais on our first trip after I retired and still use it now. It is brilliant for identifying "overnight stops". Scale 1:200,000; 1cm = 2Km.
The Michelin "Local" series are at a scale of 1:175,000; 1cm = 1.75km and from Nr 301 to 345 cover the whole of France.
For detail walking and cycling, I use "Institut Geographique National" (IGN) Carte de Randonnee, scale 1:25,000; 1cm = 250m, usually available in the location you are in.

P6280121.JPG

In Greece, I use "Road Editions" 1;250,000 maps, there are 5 covering the country, number 5 relates to the Peloponnese. I don't know where you would find one in the U.K.

P6280122.JPG

P6280123.JPG

I'm sorry I can't help you with Italy; somehow, I have never had such a detailed interest in that country.

Velma's Dad

Velma's Dad

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I am well aware that the OP has asked for a source of paper maps but maybe this is a good source of French mapping. https://www.geoportail.gouv.fr/donnees/limites-administratives

It zooms to a scale and detail very like our own OS maps and is almost too good to be true.
Yes the app for that is very good also. IGN 1:50k and 25k scale mapping is just as good as UK OS mapping - and the app is free! (unlike OS).

Just search for IGN in Play Store.

Karlos

Karlos

VIP Member
Vehicle
Just browsing
thumbnail_20200628_114355.jpg

This my back up to the sat nav, do you think it should be updated?

hotel california

hotel california

18 'till i die....
Staff member
Top Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
@Karlos for back-up it will do perfect ;)
I take maps with me and look at them the day before to get a idea of the places we are going to get drive by .
Looking at a paper map by it self feels like traveling , old school ....

BeagleMum

BeagleMum

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Most of the forum searches bring up threads about Google Maps (I'm running scared of the Search Police) so I thought I'd ask the question. I enjoy staring at a map laid out on the kitchen table rather than looking online and will start hunting for some good old folding maps over the next few days specifically for Eastern France, Northern Italy and the Peloponnese. So does anyone else share my fondness for a good old folding map and if so which would ones would they recommend, specifically for the regions mentioned above? Thanks
We are with you on paper maps, can’t beat them!

Karlos

Karlos

VIP Member
Vehicle
Just browsing
@Karlos for back-up it will do perfect ;)
I take maps with me and look at them the day before to get a idea of the places we are going to get drive by .
Looking at a paper map by it self feels like traveling , old school ....
I do that so I have a good idea in my head where we are going.

V

Vagophile

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I also have a Michelin book of maps for Europe at scales varying from 1:600,000 to 1:3,000,000 and an AA Road Atlas of Europe at scales of 1:1,000,000 to 1:6,500,000. Both of these give clear indication of toll and non toll motorways which I find quite useful when planning. Like others here, I like to get a clear mental picture of my route. It is only in the last couple of years that I have come to accept satnav instructions and only then for probably the last mile of a journey in an urban area.
(Just realised that I would probably fail my driving test through not being able to properly use a satnav.)

Cali4nia-Dream

Cali4nia-Dream

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I do that so I have a good idea in my head where we are going.
We also prefer old style maps for route planning, and often for general navigation for that very reason.

There is also something pleasurable about looking at a large map spread out over the floor or dining room table for planning a trip, a year ago we were getting an assortment of maps to cover Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Finland for planning what we had hoped to do this year.

Going back to the OPs comment, we used to have an old Eurocamp map of Europe for getting the basic idea of where we were going, then something like the large AA Europe book for en-route navigation. This is backed up with Michelin maps ( many from when they were also supplied as part of the Eurocamp package), and IGN for walking/cycling in France.

Unfortunately we can't assist with advice on maps for Northern Italy or the Peloponnese.

Having said all that about paper maps we also use Locus maps loaded onto our phones, loaded up with (Open Android) maps of the countries we go to for tracking our travels and geocaching (works off line so no issues with data or loss of phone signal)

kp64zl

kp64zl

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I also use the fold out paper maps.

Michelin in France

like to know the lie of the land and prevent sat nav taking me stupid ways.

Billylou

Billylou

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
Reckon you could spend a few hours in there