GoPro and the California.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
We spent the New Year and most of January Down Under on the Great Barrier Reef and with my son in Sydney. I dabble in photography and have a Canon 450 DSLR with some assorted lenses etc: A big lump to carry around with you and not that spontaneous. I had been looking for something smaller and eventually settled on a GoPro 5 Black. 12m Photos, video from 480 to 4K, reasonable battery life and definitely pocket size, also waterproof to 10m. Used it to great effect on the reef and out and about in Sydney.
When we got back I thought about using and keeping it in the California because I do like videos of some of the trips I've made. In Norway the road, bridges and views are fantastic but you can't keep stopping every 5 minutes to take photos.
Examining the GoPro I realised it can take Loop videos , depending on the SD card upto 4 + hours. It stores the video in 5 minute segments, easily downloaded to an iPad. Set up a suction mount for it on the central dashboard tray, that the T5.1 has, and plugged it into the 12v socket on the dashboard next to the tray, something else the T5.1 has.
So yesterday I videoed the trip from London to home and with the GoPro software was able to make a QUIK video compressing the trip to 3 minutes accompanied by music.
But it does more as I played around with the PC, rather than iPad software.
The GoPro has a built in GPS receiver and also "G" meter and this is what I got - just a small 2 minute segment.

So, I can use the GoPro as a Dashcam, keep it full charged and ready to go at the drop of a hat. Very pleased. I like kit that has multiple uses.

The video shows the GPS Route, Speed, Direction, G force and speed change.
The Metadata shows a lot more information.

Cameras are pretty amazing these days and thats handy to be able to use it as a dash cam. Best quality video on a dash cam you will probably see ;)

I have a very nice Zhiyun gimbal that I can use with a gopro really stabilises the footage beautifully, they are worth a look. I havent had a new GoPro since a gopro 3 though which I used on my phantom drone and still use today. Nice camera and great footage but not as feature rich as your 5 sounds.

For my uses today I switched from gopro to a Sony https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/actioncam/fdr-x3000-body-kit Great bits of kit.

Good choice of radio station:)

That looks pretty handy to me and right on que for my trip to Norway this year as I was looking to buy some kit to help record our adventure.
Did you buy any accessories yet? What would you suggest bearing in mind we all like your, very practical, realistic view on so many things.

That’s a good idea I have been thinking about a dash cam for a while,
My go pro is a go pro 4 and don’t think it has any of the display options yours has??
Is the display you have eg speed ect built into your GoPro
Great bit of kit maybe I need to upgrade

Great @WelshGas! I use the session for the same reasons however it is not as good as your version 5! I like it!
d58433ebbb781b255d95dd0b0a152376.jpg

My go pro is a go pro 4 and don’t think it has any of the display options yours has??
My Gopro 3+ does looping so I expect yours will too.

Agree, the GoPro makes a great dashcam.
Ours is fitted to a gimbal on the top of the screen.
P1130369small.jpg

P1130372small.jpg

For accessories one of these is a must. Can hold the camera level or at various angles, vertical and horizontal. Fits the 3/4/5 cameras

With the 5 black
P1130375small.jpg

P1130379small.jpg

With a 3 Black
P1130380small.jpg

P1130371small.jpg

Yes. Found it on the PC software from the GoPro site. Haven't checked to see if it is on the iPad App.

Last edited:
That looks pretty handy to me and right on que for my trip to Norway this year as I was looking to buy some kit to help record our adventure.
Did you buy any accessories yet? What would you suggest bearing in mind we all like your, very practical, realistic view on so many things.
Just do a search on Amazon for GoPro Accessories.
I got this as a Starter.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B018Z358JG/?tag=eliteelect-21

My son said - Dad, Please,Please don't wear the Chest Harness!

That looks like a lot of kit for your money.......
Very comprehensive. Many different ones available but some don't have the case that can hold the bits + camera if you want.

Ok. Just checked all the GPS data, speed, direction + the G Force data can be switched ON with the PC software from GoPro. Only the Speed data can be switched ON withe the iPad/iPhone App.

Ok. Just checked all the GPS data, speed, direction + the G Force data can be switched ON with the PC software from GoPro. Only the Speed data can be switched ON withe the iPad/iPhone App.
Great we have a Mac so I’ll be trying that later hope it works on the 4 too??

Do you think the night time footage will be good?

The other thing I forgot to mention is that many parameters can be adjusted. Also the GoPro 5 Black records sound and has Voice Control that works very well.

I bought a GoPro in September and been playing around with it. Finally got round to editing footage from a weekend away in November. It was our first wedding anniversary and we took the Cali to Somerset, Devon, Cornwall and Dorset. I didn't use the telemetry this time, saving that for the Ski footage.

I bought a GoPro in September and been playing around with it. Finally got round to editing footage from a weekend away in November. It was our first wedding anniversary and we took the Cali to Somerset, Devon, Cornwall and Dorset. I didn't use the telemetry this time, saving that for the Ski footage.

That was a lot of great locations for one weekend !.... well done

Back