Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Got an old stereo that needs a DAB and Bluetooth Upgrade?

2into1

2into1

Née T4WFA. Now running 2006 LHD T5 SE 130 Manual
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
I'll explain my dilemma and then what I think is a great modest cost solution.

So my new Cali (when it comes) has a RCD310 Stereo with CD from 2010. Lovely OEM fit, integrates with the parking sensors, has an aux-in socket, but alas, no DAB and no Bluetooth.

My initial plan was to by a RCD310 DAB on ebay for about £150 so half my problems go away. Then investigating what it will take to get bluetooth properly integrated with that, I was gobsmacked to find the VW bluetooth module is around £400. So I'd be £550 into an upgrade and still only have a modest radio.

For that much you start to get into the double-din carplay units from Pioneer etc, but at that price they don't integrate with the parking sensors etc.

Plan b was the cheapo solution to add a Parrot type kit to the RCD 310DAB, or a Parrot and a DAB box to the current RCD310. I'd still have my phone on a dash mount for google maps etc, but would be fine for phone calls and get all my DAB stations. But it's all getting a bit complex.

Then I came across this http://radioplayercar.com/ which seems to be the answer to my needs. It's jointly developed with the BBC so looks as if it will be around for a while. The app is for Apple or Android. The link shows the product and a video of it in action.

Basically it's a small box, hidden in your dash, which plugs into your aux-in socket (which I believe is in the Cali glove box?). You power it with 12v, and fit the supplied windscreen aerial (which does DAB and FM), stick the microphone near the sun visor and that's about it.

Install the app on your phone, which talks to the hidden box by bluetooth, and you have a pretty modern system capable of playing radio by 4G, DAB or FM, the ability to take calls, stream music, all with voice activation. It's £190 inc 'professional' fitting (although I'd rather have my Cali experienced auto-electrician do it). I suppose it could be transferred to the next vehicle too.

It's a pretty new product but I hadn't come across it until today. Do any of you have any experience with them, or would like to share your thoughts as to it's suitability for someone in my position?

Sorry
I'll explain my dilemma and then what I think is a great modest cost solution.

So my new Cali (when it comes) has a RCD310 Stereo with CD from 2010. Lovely OEM fit, integrates with the parking sensors, has an aux-in socket, but alas, no DAB and no Bluetooth.

My initial plan was to by a RCD310 DAB on ebay for about £150 so half my problems go away. Then investigating what it will take to get bluetooth properly integrated with that, I was gobsmacked to find the VW bluetooth module is around £400. So I'd be £550 into an upgrade and still only have a modest radio.

For that much you start to get into the double-din carplay units from Pioneer etc, but at that price they don't integrate with the parking sensors etc.

Plan b was the cheapo solution to add a Parrot type kit to the RCD 310DAB, or a Parrot and a DAB box to the current RCD310. I'd still have my phone on a dash mount for google maps etc, but would be fine for phone calls and get all my DAB stations. But it's all getting a bit complex.

Then I came across this http://radioplayercar.com/ which seems to be the answer to my needs. It's jointly developed with the BBC so looks as if it will be around for a while. The app is for Apple or Android. The link shows the product and a video of it in action.

Basically it's a small box, hidden in your dash, which plugs into your aux-in socket (which I believe is in the Cali glove box?). You power it with 12v, and fit the supplied windscreen aerial (which does DAB and FM), stick the microphone near the sun visor and that's about it.

Install the app on your phone, which talks to the hidden box by bluetooth, and you have a pretty modern system capable of playing radio by 4G, DAB or FM, the ability to take calls, stream music, all with voice activation. It's £190 inc 'professional' fitting (although I'd rather have my Cali experienced auto-electrician do it). I suppose it could be transferred to the next vehicle too.

It's a pretty new product but I hadn't come across it until today. Do any of you have any experience with them, or would like to share your thoughts as to it's suitability for someone in my position?
Sorry, I know nothing about this unit but there is an expert on the Forum @Absolut5 and they do know a lot about VW and T5 head units etc. Ask them, very approachable and helpful.
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/sound-system-upgrade.17706/#post-210475

http://absolut5.co.uk/

One thing to bear in mind, any DAB antenna that sticks internally to the screen will give average performance.

For best results you need a powered/external body mounted aerial. (Small shark fin style)

So, budget for around £70 for the aerial plus, your head unit needs to be able to power the antenna.

The blue tooth route for phone connectivity is ok but a hard wired option gives much more control plus charging. Costly yes but in my op, worth it.

http://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/Kinetic_DRA-6006_FM-AM_DAB_car_aerial.html

An Rns 315 dab might be worth considering. They have Bluetooth built in and also have navigation.

Lots of them on eBay.

An Rns 315 dab might be worth considering. They have Bluetooth built in and also have navigation.

Lots of them on eBay.
Thanks, are you sure the Bluetooth is actually built in, or that they just have the ability to integrate with a Bluetooth module. The current rcd310 have a Bluetooth option down in the menus, but needs the expensive model to enable it.

It's built in from what I have been told. Our 310 dab also has the Bluetooth option in the menu.

Is an RNS 315 DAB a straight swap for the basic OEM FM radio in my 2009 SE? Maybe I should ask absolut5....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is an RNS 315 DAB a straight swap for the basic OEM FM radio in my 2009 SE? Maybe I should ask absolut5....

If yours is pre face-lift, then I think not as the 315 and 515 etc from the face-lifts have rounded corners and are wider at the top than the bottom. The pre face lifts are rectangular *

*I'm learning all this too, so wait for others to confirm.

Why not upgrade your existing stereo with the carradioplayer like I'm thinking of doing? (if you've no aux-in, I think you can get one modestly)

I've posed the question to Absolut5 and queried options, but do recall reading on here about the slightly different shape so think you're probably right. Mine is last of the 5.0 so pre 5.1 facelift.

Absolut5 agree it won't fit. They suggest a number of Pioneer units, some with windscreen GPS aerial. Looking at £700 mark. Are you having a go with the carradioplayer? Do post results if you do!

I'm pretty certain I'll give carradioplayer a try, but ideally I've have my mate fit it, as he's experienced at pulling Cali's apart. No reply to my email asking if that's possible yet.
I'll update here which ever way I go.

My issue is over reliance on 4G for Nav, DAB would be a nice to have, so think I need a built in solution, but intrigued with your find. Cheers.

My issue is over reliance on 4G for Nav, DAB would be a nice to have, so think I need a built in solution, but intrigued with your find. Cheers.
There are plenty of sat nav phone apps (eg Tomtom) that don't rely on data. I carry an ancient compact Tomtom as a backup anyway.
So much choice!

I've opted for the www.radioplayercar.com device and professional fitting. Two week wait for the installation and I'll update here afterwards.

Thanks, are you sure the Bluetooth is actually built in, or that they just have the ability to integrate with a Bluetooth module. The current rcd310 have a Bluetooth option down in the menus, but needs the expensive model to enable it.
I seem to remember if the Radio has a Mac address on it's label I believe it is probably built in, but it wasn't on all models just some. Those without I believe have no address or all zeroes. Worth researching though. The newer models tend to not have it any longer.

Mine definitely had bluetooth as I enabled it with my VAG device one day at lunch. Thread here: https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...nabling-bluetooth-for-free.13011/#post-131611

Reference original source here: https://www.remkoweijnen.nl/blog/2011/08/26/rns-315-enable-the-hidden-bluetooth-carkit/

Confirmed:
look out for the MAC sticker on the side, if its 00:00:00 etc, then no bluetooth built in. DAB is easy to spot with an extra black connector at the back of the unit.

Last edited:
Back