Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Grand cali tow bar won’t fir Thule bike rack?

Angela&Phil

Angela&Phil

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 600
got grand cali 600 in December with towbar fitted... but now got Thule easyfold xt3 bike rack and it won’t latch on. Think it’s because clearance between towbar ball and towbar base not quite enough (needs to be 73mm). Any ideas how to resolve?

I had same issue with the same rack. Add a spacer to move the ball away from the towbar.

This is what mine looks like. Also lowered it so the doors can be opened with the carrier arm folded down. It’s a bit low to the ground and occasionally scapes now but it good to be able get the doors open with it on.

e8984c259b0bffffcbf9590a7d86c17d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

got grand cali 600 in December with towbar fitted... but now got Thule easyfold xt3 bike rack and it won’t latch on. Think it’s because clearance between towbar ball and towbar base not quite enough (needs to be 73mm). Any ideas how to resolve?
I’m guessing it wasn’t an VW OEM tow bar

Hi
We have also got GC with towbar fitted but just received our Thule Easyfold XT 2 bike rack which does not fit on the ball of the VW factory fitted towbar! It fits perfectly on the towbar of our BMW car. So annoying. Only arrived today and we don't know what to do. Got from Halford website so going to drive to branch in Reading to see what the problem is. Maybe we can put a new 'ball head' on the Cali towbar? Did you resolve it? Look forward to hearing from you. Linda and Mark

Hi
We have also got GC with towbar fitted but just received our Thule Easyfold XT 2 bike rack which does not fit on the ball of the VW factory fitted towbar! It fits perfectly on the towbar of our BMW car. So annoying. Only arrived today and we don't know what to do. Got from Halford website so going to drive to branch in Reading to see what the problem is. Maybe we can put a new 'ball head' on the Cali towbar? Did you resolve it? Look forward to hearing from you. Linda and Mark
Have you adjusted the very large nut Just below the Thule locking handle!!! Not to tight not to lose. Needs to be tight a bit of pressure needed pushing handle down then lock.

Have you adjusted the very large nut Just below the Thule locking handle!!! Not to tight not to lose. Needs to be tight a bit of pressure needed pushing handle down then lock.
Played with the nut - undoing but when tried to pull the locking handle down it just was not moving. Felt too much force could break it. Then fitted it on our BMW car towbar perfectly so something not right with the GC towbar. Will see what Halfords say tomorrow but thank you so much for your response. Will post how we get on..

Played with the nut - undoing but when tried to pull the locking handle down it just was not moving. Felt too much force could break it. Then fitted it on our BMW car towbar perfectly so something not right with the GC towbar. Will see what Halfords say tomorrow but thank you so much for your response. Will post how we get on..
Hi, strange? I have had x2 OEM fit tow bars fitted to a GC 600 and 680 and the Thule x2 rail bike rack and no issue. Maybe your dealer has a stock GC with a tow bar to try.
Will be good to know haw you get on.
Good luck.

Hi, strange? I have had x2 OEM fit tow bars fitted to a GC 600 and 680 and the Thule x2 rail bike rack and no issue. Maybe your dealer has a stock GC with a tow bar to try.
Will be good to know haw you get on.
Good luck.
Hi
Problem was the neck was 5mm too short for the bike rack to sit on properly so bought an 'Extend Neck 50mm Tow £24.99' from Halfords. Took off the 4 bolt plate/neck and ball off the tow bar and replaced with this Neck and now rack slots on perfectly! It has 2 bolts rather than 4 bolt plate on original but we placed it on the lower 2 holes and it seems very substantial. No idea why our GC came with a shorter neck? Angela&Phil appear to have had same problem!

Possibly the Alko type would cure the issue.
These are necessary for the extra bulk of tow hitches that have stabilisers that clamp onto the ball as used by caravans.

Might raise the rack giving door clearance problem.

Possibly the Alko type would cure the issue.
These are necessary for the extra bulk of tow hitches that have stabilisers that clamp onto the ball as used by caravans.

Might raise the rack giving door clearance problem.

Thanks for that. We bought one this morning from Halfords and it has done the job. Just needed another 5mm height - original just a bit too short!

Regards, Linda

Thanks for that. We bought one this morning from Halfords and it has done the job. Just needed another 5mm height - original just a bit too short!

Regards, Linda
Morning Linda, Angela & Phil

Just got back from Scotland, so this is what you should have fitted if you opted for the OEM detachable tow bar. I also have the Thule bike rack and have no issue.

E256E8B9-CB47-49E5-AF0A-20990F03217F.jpeg

BBB7C4FB-1375-48F4-8E68-8DBEB1F7391C.jpeg

C7A5AF1A-A497-4249-A148-EE0315AEDF6E.jpeg

Last edited:
Ahh we ordered the Fixed towbar - we didn’t realise there was a difference. Had said we wanted it for a bike rack. Not had one before so clueless! Is the Fixed one for towing eg boats or caravans etc?

Ahh we ordered the Fixed towbar - we didn’t realise there was a difference. Had said we wanted it for a bike rack. Not had one before so clueless! Is the Fixed one for towing eg boats or caravans etc?
Should be no different in towing ability. interesting not seen one fixed only detachable however know it was an option. What boat have you got.

We have a day boat for the Thames. Not taken it out of water yet so next is a trailer.

Hello all and thanks for responses. We eventually went for a long reach westfalia towball which fitted using the same four bolts as the original. Bit more expensive than the two bolt Halfords option but looks neater and the four bolts gives me piece of mind. Got it off eBay as westfalia uk didn’t have any in stock at the time. Works great with Thule bike rack.

89BD0A06-57ED-4D8E-B679-07FC42E675C8.png

I had same issue with the same rack. Add a spacer to move the ball away from the towbar.

This is what mine looks like. Also lowered it so the doors can be opened with the carrier arm folded down. It’s a bit low to the ground and occasionally scapes now but it good to be able get the doors open with it on.

e8984c259b0bffffcbf9590a7d86c17d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi this is my first post, I have ordered a Grand California 680 with a delivery in 2024. Can anyone advise how far factory tow bar mount and plate protrudes? I have not ordered the ball just the rest of the fitting at present. The tow bar is future proofing for a motorbike and trailer with occasional bike mount fitting and so that I can get the correct ball for my Thule bike rack if I want to take a bike. Ferry and tunnel companies charge by length which seems to increase costs over 7m. As we will not always use towbar may leave off ball off when not required, obviously floored plan if vehicle would be over 7m anyway. I don't believe removable option is any shorter so not bothered with that option for additional security of fixed mounting that can be locked to.