Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Grand California 600 - new owner

G

Grand Canifornia

Vehicle
Grand California 600
Hi everyone.
We just bought a new to us 2021 Grand California 600. We have been dreaming about a campervan for a while now and decided to take the plunge. We looked around for different models like the more numerous Ducato based vans, but then finally settled on the Grand California 600. One of the reasons was that we decided to use it as our only vehicle for now, so the everyday drive quality and (relative) safety were important. We do not have much previous motorhome experience aside from childhood so lots of things to (re)-learn. I find the GC easy and nice to drive, but I have C-licence so I have previous experience driving larger vehicles. It is very easy to manouver and park with the large mirrors and rearview camera. Even the missus feels quite comfortable about taking the wheel.

The car is pre-owned, and there are some issues that I will be having fixed by warranty. Some of the defects:
Stair doesn't work. Makes a grinding sound as if trying to open or close, but nothing happens.
Some whistling sound from the roof windows while driving faster than 60 kph, but those seals are getting the recall fix.
Wetroom door rattles constantly. It does not stay at all in place, but moves freely against the lock mechanism. You can move it easily at least 5mm just by pushing. So it is rattling all the time, even when driving on smooth road. Maddening noise really but I really hope they will fix it in the service. The warranty service is scheduled in next week and I really hope they get to fixing these things.

I have yet to discover if the technical side actually works. We will be doing our first trip soon where we can test all of them out. At least the remote control auxiliary engine heater works. Important for winter since we will be using this year round as our only vehicle. The GC has the diesel Truma heater so I was shocked to discover two 11kg steel gas bottles sitting in the cabinet. I think Im going to change them for one 5kg one, since I'll only use gas for cooking.

As for immediate improvemets, I really need to get a smaller table that I can store in next to the rear seats. The standard one is way too big. And how are you supposed to store it in the bed, if you have linens and stuff set all set up? We also travel with dogs that will want to sleep with us in the bed. The bed is quite high though, so I'm not sure how they can climb up. Some kind of (collapsible) steps or a low table to the hallway maybe? Do you have any solutions or suggestions for this? Also speaking of the dogs, I will need a barrier and gate set up in the garage, since the dogs will be traveling there. I already built a makeshift wooden one in the hallway but that needs to be replaced with a proper metal one.
I already have thermal covers for the windows and winter tyres so I'm all set. Now I need to figure out storage space for the shovel and buy some snow chains.

Oh and I will also need to get a tow hook installed.

Specs:
Diesel/electric heater
Auxiliary engine heater
Heated steering wheel and windscreen
ACC
Automatic aircon
Solar
Awning and extra chairs

So, just wanted to say hi. Reading this board, as well as the German one, really sold us to try the GC out. We are really excited and looking forward to our first trips with it. Also if I have some issues, questions, improvements or just observations I will most likely use this thread to post about them.

20220912_191006.png

Hi welcome; the only advice I’d give is try everything first before you go.
Cheers

I know this is an old thread but did you get the table? We just bought one in Germany and it´s much smaller, practical and east to store next to the double seat against the wall.

Back