Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Grand California 600 weight class

S

Steven Dodds

Vehicle
T6 Coast 150
Hi everyone.
We are just in the process of ordering a new GC 600 3500kg. I confirmed all the extras with the dealer at the end of last and paid the deposit earlier this week. Got a call from the salesman yesterday who advised me that he had been unable to place the order due to excessive weight on the 3500kg. Has anyone experienced this and took the decision to purchase the 3880kg ?? Or has anyone bought a 3500kg and found that the payload is not sufficient? If I was honest, the heavier weight class makes total sense although the speed restrictions don’t. Would be good to hear everyone’s opinion.

SD

Hi everyone.
We are just in the process of ordering a new GC 600 3500kg. I confirmed all the extras with the dealer at the end of last and paid the deposit earlier this week. Got a call from the salesman yesterday who advised me that he had been unable to place the order due to excessive weight on the 3500kg. Has anyone experienced this and took the decision to purchase the 3880kg ?? Or has anyone bought a 3500kg and found that the payload is not sufficient? If I was honest, the heavier weight class makes total sense although the speed restrictions don’t. Would be good to hear everyone’s opinion.

SD

I’d always pick payload over speed restrictions. Just make sure you’ve got the correct C1 Licence to drive. Some of us younger ones don’t.

I’d always pick payload over speed restrictions. Just make sure you’ve got the correct C1 Licence to drive. Some of us younger ones don’t.
Unfortunately I’m old enough to have that license, just made it!!! I have been informed there no difference between 3.5 & 3.88 regarding suspension ect it’s only the class

Are you sure the speed limit is different?

If the unladen weight is under 3050kg the higher limits still apply for motor caravans.
Conversely if its registered as under 3.5tnne & unladen its over 3050Kg the lower speed limits apply.

So if there is no change at all to the vehicle just the registration document the limits shouldn't change.

Other things to note.
Road tax is cheaper for over 3.5tnne
French Peage tolls are higher for over 3.5tnne
It may affect resale value in the future as less people have the required licence.

Hi everyone.

SD
Hi Steve, we purchased the 3880, IMO its a good move to up it to the 3880kg, this isn't every thing but road tax is £160 pa. upped it due to payload. was unable to fit a tow bar to carry bikes or whatever, as opted for the awning and if just by fitting the tow bar took us over, just think about the other additions you will be taking in the boot area.
Speed, well did not worry me still 70 on the motorway and guess you would do a little more with ease. duel carriage ways 60. are you in a hurry to get there! For me it was a no brainer.

You will be surprised on how easy it is to drive.

Will

We ended up going for the 3500 and just reduced a couple of extras to get the purchase over the line. As you say the the toe bar and the awning were the main culprits so we will not have an awning, the toe bar prep was added, the dealer will fit later. The awning was a must until we counted the times we’ve used it on the T6 and issues we’ve had in the wind and rain, especially in Scotland, it’s always windy!! In Europe we will have an inflatable over flow tent with a side awning on site anyway. I have been informed there is no difference between the 3.5t & 3.88t vans regarding suspension/ brakes ect therefore the weight class change is a paper exercise, well that’s what was advised by the dealer. Another major factor worth mentioning , my wife didn’t have the C1 class on her license therefore would have had to take a test. She didn’t fancy that!
Are you all enjoying the vans?

I'm just going through the process of up plating my new van Hymer Grand Canyon poptop through SV tech.
This is a common problem with all 3500kg Van's, assuming you have a C1 license this is normally a paperwork exercise. Only reason most Van's are restricted to 3500kg is to assist sales in Europe, very costly to obtain licence plus increased purchase taxes on commercials above 3500kg.
Im told UK speed limits are based on unladen weight so speed limits should not change.
Without any mechanical changes to my van I can increase to 4000kg giving payload of 920kg. Originally 420kg with extras, fuel, water and 75kg drive allowance.
If I add rear spring assisters and higher load rating tyres this can increase further to 4200kg.
Cost £200 plus vat.
To revert back to original weight it can be down plated for a similar fee.
Axle weight limits are the critical factor in up plating.

We ended up going for the 3500 and just reduced a couple of extras to get the purchase over the line. As you say the the toe bar and the awning were the main culprits so we will not have an awning, the toe bar prep was added, the dealer will fit later. The awning was a must until we counted the times we’ve used it on the T6 and issues we’ve had in the wind and rain, especially in Scotland, it’s always windy!! In Europe we will have an inflatable over flow tent with a side awning on site anyway. I have been informed there is no difference between the 3.5t & 3.88t vans regarding suspension/ brakes ect therefore the weight class change is a paper exercise, well that’s what was advised by the dealer. Another major factor worth mentioning , my wife didn’t have the C1 class on her license therefore would have had to take a test. She didn’t fancy that!
Are you all enjoying the vans?
Morning Steve,

Yes I asked the same question re no change in spec and as you say it’s the same as the 3.5t

Re awning I have just fitted some Thule support struts that stiffen the structure Between the side arms and the end piece of the awning and takes out sag in the material. A great difference should the wind get up, also only £35 it’s a great addition.

Well hopefully you will receive a build date in a couple of weeks, you will also have the new infortanement system.

Back