Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Grand California camper control panel

L

leeb

Vehicle
Grand California 680
Hi...this is becoming tedious...any one else with a Grand california that has experienced failure of the control panel, the one that is stuck on the outside of the shower cubicle and controls lighting, heating, step etc. This is a grand to supply and replace, under warranty for now, so I am interested to learn if this a quality problem which could come back and haunt GC owners over the next years.

Hi...this is becoming tedious...any one else with a Grand california that has experienced failure of the control panel, the one that is stuck on the outside of the shower cubicle and controls lighting, heating, step etc. This is a grand to supply and replace, under warranty for now, so I am interested to learn if this a quality problem which could come back and haunt GC owners over the next years.
What’s the problem.

Hi Breeze1...electronic issues (again)...the panel touch screen fails to respond to touching the light control areas and the van step control areas.
VW have deemed it as having "failed" and are replacing it under warranty.

Hi Breeze1...electronic issues (again)...the panel touch screen fails to respond to touching the light control areas and the van step control areas.
VW have deemed it as having "failed" and are replacing it under warranty.
Wow very unlucky, I might have said before really had no real issues, well only 2, the WiFi router incorrectly wired. Antenna wired to wrong socket and slightly warped heads door.
Don’t lose faith it’s a great van and it will all settle down. Hopefully changing the control panel will sort things out and best it happens in lockdown rather than when your out on your travels.

Just noticed this today. Control panel no longer responds to lights and step. So this is the second fault so far. first one is the toilet light that lives its own life.

Just noticed this today. Control panel no longer responds to lights and step. So this is the second fault so far. first one is the toilet light that lives its own life.
Satuja...presume you mean that the control panel cannot be used to switch lights or control the step setting (camping or to move it in or out)..if this is so then it is exactly the same fault on my van. Hmmm

Not the same but there seems to be no action from any of the buttons down the right hand side ie the ‘home’ , it doesn’t really cause much of an issue because theres always the back button. If I reset the panel with the red power switch it seems to all work ok for a short period then goes back to the defect again.

Not the same but there seems to be no action from any of the buttons down the right hand side ie the ‘home’ , it doesn’t really cause much of an issue because theres always the back button. If I reset the panel with the red power switch it seems to all work ok for a short period then goes back to the defect again.
do you mean the red power switch in the cupboard with the 240v fuse panel?

Satuja...presume you mean that the control panel cannot be used to switch lights or control the step setting (camping or to move it in or out)..if this is so then it is exactly the same fault on my van. Hmmm
Yes, excatly the same behavior in our GC680 now. emailed the service last night and waiting for their response now.

Yes, excatly the same behavior in our GC680 now. emailed the service last night and waiting for their response now.
Straight forward agreement to cover the replace the screen under warranty. My concern is that the replacement part may contain this "systemic" fault and after 3 years from purchase there is no warranty on any part of the van ...even components replaced within this 3 year time frame. I will be taking this up with VW after my screen is replaced

Service informed to turn off the camper side main power from the red power switch in the cupboard with the 240v fuse panel.

So we did. powered off for 5mins or so. Power back on and the Lights started to work Control panel, but camping mode went grey and water and battery levels went to 0%. Service asked to start the car and we did. Water and battery levels came back. Step control reseted to off from auto mode which caused us to think that step no longer worked, but after a while going thourgh the settings we noticed the auto->off chage.

So "Booting" up the camper mains and starting the car fixed the problem for now. Gotta see if/when this happens again and contact service again.

Well blow me down!! the reboot you describe has worked.
Switched power off...left it for a few minutes...switched power back on and all good.
I wonder why the VW dealership I got the van from/technical division VW UK dont know this??

Seems like standard practice on the GC.

these issues were a problem when I looked at one in a showroom 12months ago
Not confidence inspiring at all really

which...VW not knowing the van or how to reboot?
Ha was referring to the GC, however haven’t had an issue where I have needed to do that’, yet.

Brilliant advice..... was just starting to despair as to what to do. Turning off and on worked first time

I had the control panel replaced on my 680 a few months ago due to this issue as well as a humming noise, worked fine until yesterday when lights and camping mode failed to respond. I’ll try the the off/on method to see if that will fix it but like everyone says it doesn’t give confidence in it for the future.

Yeah, worked for me as well, just turned main switch off for 10 seconds and it rebooted the c panel and everything is back to normal, phew.

Sounding like a software gliche....I am going to contact VW to register my concern and try to determine what happens when a reboot fails and warranty expired.

As with all computers, if it freezes, Reboot. It would seem this is a Software rather than Hardware problem.
These units will have been bought in by VW, hardware and software, and the only option VW will have is replacing the unit and returning the original to the manufacturer. Basically an expensive Reboot.
Eventually they will come out with some software/firmware update.

Wow very unlucky, I might have said before really had no real issues, well only 2, the WiFi router incorrectly wired. Antenna wired to wrong socket and slightly warped heads door.
Don’t lose faith it’s a great van and it will all settle down. Hopefully changing the control panel will sort things out and best it happens in lockdown rather than when your out on your travels.
Where is the Wi-fi router and where do you put a data only sim ? Thanks

Where is the Wi-fi router and where do you put a data only sim ? Thanks
Hi if you have this option it’s located under the drivers seat and the the SIM card in the front. Then turn it on from the control panel by the heads. It really works very well, great signal compared to your phone.

Hi if you have this option it’s located under the drivers seat and the the SIM card in the front. Then turn it on from the control panel by the heads. It really works very well, great signal compared to your phone.
When you say SIM card at front is that the SDI slots in glove department? Will look under seat today to check. When I go on control panel - & onto entertainment - I can press on Wi-fi and it lights up. ? So maybe SIM card needed. I can see one for navigation.

When you say SIM card at front is that the SDI slots in glove department? Will look under seat today to check. When I go on control panel - & onto entertainment - I can press on Wi-fi and it lights up. ? So maybe SIM card needed. I can see one for navigation.
No, Under the seat is where the WiFi Router is and there is the opening for the SIM card, insert the sim then go to the control panel press wifi, this will then light up if you have a router, look for the router on your device then connect.

Also refer to the Manuel

Back