Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Grand California - Toilet Ventilation SOG

Z

Zephyr

Vehicle
Grand California 680
I have a GC 680 on order and didn't bother ordering the Toilet Ventilation SOG as an extra because I assumed it was simply a fan fitted in the roof vent of the wet room. Recently I googled 'toilet ventilation SOG' and found a website which explained what the system was. I was totally surprised how the system works and apart from reducing 'odour' it is environmentally friendly and can be used without the need for chemical additives, which a growing number of smaller UK sites are no longer permitting. I couldn't find any details of the system on the VW website. Fortunately, I have been able to amend my order to include the system!

Alan

It works very well. Just make sure that the (sh*tty odour) exhaust vent is through the roof rather than the side, or you may find that you are not popular with your neighbours if on a site.

It works very well. Just make sure that the (sh*tty odour) exhaust vent is through the roof rather than the side, or you may find that you are not popular with your neighbours if on a site.
Pleased to know it works well. I have no idea where the outlet pipe is fitted by VW, I assume it is through the floor or the roof. Do you use chemicals in your system? Does it reduce the odour in the wet room?

Alan

Pleased to know it works well. I have no idea where the outlet pipe is fitted by VW, I assume it is through the floor or the roof. Do you use chemicals in your system? Does it reduce the odour in the wet room?

Alan
Hi Alan,

I do not have one fitted in our 600 or opted for it in the 680, (I have nearly every other option) purely to say I found the wet room vents well without the SOG so did not include on the 680 order.
I do use the Thetford dosing tabs and have the environmentally friendly green coloured ones,

The wet room always smells fresh!

Will

I don't have direct experience, my friend had one installed in his motorhome in about 2000. I don't know if they have changed, his was essentially a fan extractor that operated when the cassette blade was opened. We spent a lot of time travelling together and he was always extolling the virtues of the system. He did not use any chemicals, this was noticeable when the cassette was emptied, but otherwise there was no trace of odour in his bathroom area, the only occasional odour was from the exhaust.
Over the years he delighted in telling me how environmentally friendly and cost effective it was.

Last edited:
We have the SOG and it's extremely effective, never smelt any nasty smells. Still use a small amount of blue fluid to help the breakdown. The filter outlet appears to go thru the floor.
A quick photo of the unit in the bathroom cabinet.

Attachments

• EE064035-A749-4290-83F5-8D1EB4FE42AA.jpeg
    EE064035-A749-4290-83F5-8D1EB4FE42AA.jpeg
    81.5 KB · Views: 58
We have the SOG and it's extremely effective, never smelt any nasty smells. Still use a small amount of blue fluid to help the breakdown. The filter outlet appears to go thru the floor.
A quick photo of the unit in the bathroom cabinet.
Thank you Bobcat, you are a mine of information.
Any suggestions about:
Windscreen covers - internal/external;
Security - Ghost/Tracker.
I'm coming from years of caravanning to our first camper van. Any essentials you would recommend?

Windscreen cover we went for the external silver thermal cover from the club shop. Discount available if your a VIP member. We had one of these on our T5 for 5yrs and were happy with it. No internal condensation in the morning. We also used it in summer to give some shade and cooling.
I'm insured with Comfort and they required a tracker fitting. I chose the SmarTrack Protector Pro primarily as there subscription costs are lower for the annual tracking fee if you take the one off payment option. Took approx 1hr to fit and comes with a tracking app.
I've also got ghost2 on one of my cars and it is full proof no cutting of wires or anything permanent. The only problem I had was with auto stop start where the engine switched off for a long period ie long queue then the Ghost would reset and you would have to go thru the start procedure before you could pull away. I disabled the stop start to solve the issue and I believe this can be done via the ghost on installation.
Hope this helps.

Thanks again! It's really helpful as we are preparing for the GC.
Alan

When's your van expected, what colour did you choose Alan?

Thank you Bobcat, you are a mine of information.
Any suggestions about:
Windscreen covers - internal/external;
Security - Ghost/Tracker.
I'm coming from years of caravanning to our first camper van. Any essentials you would recommend?
Hi Alan

I agree with Bobcat re external thermal screen cover really works well winter and summer.
Personally I would not go down the road of a tracker.
1 annual fee £150/200
2 if stolen they wreck the van looking for it
3 when recovered it’s listed as stolen and recovered. Then issues on resale.

There are companies that do not insist on a tracker.
Ghost seems to get glowing reviews.
I only have the OEM CAT 1
alarm/immobiliser.

Hi Alan

I agree with Bobcat re external thermal screen cover really works well winter and summer.
Personally I would not go down the road of a tracker.
1 annual fee £150/200
2 if stolen they wreck the van looking for it
3 when recovered it’s listed as stolen and recovered. Then issues on resale.

There are companies that do not insist on a tracker.
Ghost seems to get glowing reviews.
I only have the OEM CAT 1
alarm/immobiliser.
Thanks for the advice.
Alan

Indium Grey, build date 15 Feb, expected availability end of March.
Hi
Just ordered my new CG680. 12 FEB. Trying to work out when it might arrive. When did you place your order please? thanks

Hi everyone to jump into this conversation I’m now starting to look for insurance cover if not comfort any other recommendations, I haven’t worked out whether a tracker is worth buying.

Hi
Just ordered my new CG680. 12 FEB. Trying to work out when it might arrive. When did you place your order please? thanks
Don't wish your time away! I assume you ordered your GC 12 JAN :)
I placed my order on 1st December.

Yes, sure did. Cost a packet with all the extras. Did not get the satellite dish or WIFI. Most of us can watch the TV on computers now. Also added the diesel heater for when I go skiing. Went for the metallic grey (like you)so its does not stand out so much. So hope to get mine end April/ start of May based on your 4 months time frame. I suppose it depends on how many people ordered in the last few months. Hopefully we are free again by then.

Back